Banana Pi? I have an RPi4 on OpenBSD 6.7

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Banana Pi? I have an RPi4 on OpenBSD 6.7

Oliver Seidel
Dear all,

I have been using a beagle bone black as my firewall for years.  It
works splendid.  I run a dozen VLANS into the 100mbit Ethernet port and
have the managed switch fan them out to rooms.

This means internet needs to go into this thing and out again.  At
100mbit, you get 50mbit peak (minus overheads).

so I thought I am throwing away some bandwidth, I can do better and got
myself an RPi4.

Over the weekend I installed the OpenBSD snapshot on it.  It works, but
I have a problem with the Ethernet.  Ping is a factor 10 000 slower than
on the Beagle Bone Black.  The Ethernet interface on BBB is cpsw0, on
RPi4 it is bse0.

I know 6.7 is only released today, so I will re-install the official
release, but I doubt that much would have changed in 3 days.

Does anyone have a suggestion what I should try?

Thanks!

Oliver

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Banana Pi? I have an RPi4 on OpenBSD 6.7

Stuart Henderson
On 2020/05/19 19:38, Oliver Seidel wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have been using a beagle bone black as my firewall for years.  It works
> splendid.  I run a dozen VLANS into the 100mbit Ethernet port and have the
> managed switch fan them out to rooms.
>
> This means internet needs to go into this thing and out again.  At 100mbit,
> you get 50mbit peak (minus overheads).
>
> so I thought I am throwing away some bandwidth, I can do better and got
> myself an RPi4.
>
> Over the weekend I installed the OpenBSD snapshot on it.  It works, but I
> have a problem with the Ethernet.  Ping is a factor 10 000 slower than on
> the Beagle Bone Black.  The Ethernet interface on BBB is cpsw0, on RPi4 it
> is bse0.

10000, really?  Can you show the actual figures in milliseconds?

> I know 6.7 is only released today, so I will re-install the official
> release, but I doubt that much would have changed in 3 days.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion what I should try?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Oliver
>

FWIW pinging the wired interface on my rpi4 running OpenBSD, I get a
response back in around 0.5ms, which is comparable with all other devices
on my lan.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Banana Pi? I have an RPi4 on OpenBSD 6.7

Stuart Henderson
Oh, did you leave it in acpi mode or switch to device tree?  You'll need
some files from https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/next/boot
if it's in device tree mode.

From kettenis@:

"A workaround is to take the bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb, fixup4.dat and
start4.elf files from

  https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/next/boot

and put them on the MS-DOS partition of your uSD card."




On 2020/05/19 20:46, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> On 2020/05/19 19:38, Oliver Seidel wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I have been using a beagle bone black as my firewall for years.  It works
> > splendid.  I run a dozen VLANS into the 100mbit Ethernet port and have the
> > managed switch fan them out to rooms.
> >
> > This means internet needs to go into this thing and out again.  At 100mbit,
> > you get 50mbit peak (minus overheads).
> >
> > so I thought I am throwing away some bandwidth, I can do better and got
> > myself an RPi4.
> >
> > Over the weekend I installed the OpenBSD snapshot on it.  It works, but I
> > have a problem with the Ethernet.  Ping is a factor 10 000 slower than on
> > the Beagle Bone Black.  The Ethernet interface on BBB is cpsw0, on RPi4 it
> > is bse0.
>
> 10000, really?  Can you show the actual figures in milliseconds?
>
> > I know 6.7 is only released today, so I will re-install the official
> > release, but I doubt that much would have changed in 3 days.
> >
> > Does anyone have a suggestion what I should try?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Oliver
> >
>
> FWIW pinging the wired interface on my rpi4 running OpenBSD, I get a
> response back in around 0.5ms, which is comparable with all other devices
> on my lan.
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Banana Pi? I have an RPi4 on OpenBSD 6.7

Oliver Seidel
Hello Stuart,

many thanks for your answer.  Here in germany we have a phrase

"wer Lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil" -- you might benefit if you were
willing to read the instructions

I had not even known about acpi and device tree mode.  I will read up
about it and come back to you,

Oliver

On 2020-05-19 22:55, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> Oh, did you leave it in acpi mode or switch to device tree?  You'll
> need
> some files from https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/next/boot
> if it's in device tree mode.
>
> From kettenis@:
>
> "A workaround is to take the bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb, fixup4.dat and
> start4.elf files from
>
>   https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/next/boot
>
> and put them on the MS-DOS partition of your uSD card."

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Banana Pi? I have an RPi4 on OpenBSD 6.7

Mark Kettenis
> Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 08:23:53 +0200
> From: Oliver Seidel <[hidden email]>
>
> Hello Stuart,
>
> many thanks for your answer.  Here in germany we have a phrase
>
> "wer Lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil" -- you might benefit if you were
> willing to read the instructions
>
> I had not even known about acpi and device tree mode.  I will read up
> about it and come back to you,
>
> Oliver
>
> On 2020-05-19 22:55, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > Oh, did you leave it in acpi mode or switch to device tree?  You'll
> > need
> > some files from https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/next/boot
> > if it's in device tree mode.
> >
> > From kettenis@:
> >
> > "A workaround is to take the bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb, fixup4.dat and
> > start4.elf files from
> >
> >   https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/next/boot
> >
> > and put them on the MS-DOS partition of your uSD card."

Note that the latest official release now has the "rgmii-rxid" issue
fixed so you can grab the files from

  https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/boot

instead.

Maybe we should ask jsg@ to update the firmware package again?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Banana Pi? I have an RPi4 on OpenBSD 6.7

Stuart Henderson
In reply to this post by Oliver Seidel
On 2020/05/20 08:23, Oliver Seidel wrote:
> Hello Stuart,
>
> many thanks for your answer.  Here in germany we have a phrase
>
> "wer Lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil" -- you might benefit if you were
> willing to read the instructions
>
> I had not even known about acpi and device tree mode.  I will read up about
> it and come back to you,

If you didn't know about this setting then I guess it would be in the
default acpi mode (a dmesg would have made this clear) where I haven't
seen any problems anyway.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RPi4 on OpenBSD 6.7 -- ping times with snapshot version

Oliver Seidel
In reply to this post by Mark Kettenis
Hi,

I have changed the firmware settings to "device tree", installing the
firmware files suggested in the below post did not work, so that too is
from the original instructions of the snapshot.

https://www.mail-archive.com/tech@.../msg56980.html

The ping has improved 3x (but nowhere near the beagle bone with 0.3ms)
and now is at:

os10000@hexa:/pool/os10000$ ping 192.168.180.1
PING 192.168.180.1 (192.168.180.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.180.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=1079 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.180.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=1259 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.180.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=1399 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.180.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time=1169 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.180.1: icmp_seq=5 ttl=255 time=873 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.180.1: icmp_seq=6 ttl=255 time=1215 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.180.1: icmp_seq=7 ttl=255 time=1436 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.180.1: icmp_seq=8 ttl=255 time=1273 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.180.1: icmp_seq=9 ttl=255 time=1581 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.180.1: icmp_seq=10 ttl=255 time=815 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.180.1: icmp_seq=11 ttl=255 time=1224 ms
^C
--- 192.168.180.1 ping statistics ---
12 packets transmitted, 11 received, 8.33333% packet loss, time 11076ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 814.591/1211.050/1580.696/217.382 ms, pipe 2

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Banana Pi? I have an RPi4 on OpenBSD 6.7

Stuart Henderson
In reply to this post by Mark Kettenis
On 2020/05/20 09:31, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> Note that the latest official release now has the "rgmii-rxid" issue
> fixed so you can grab the files from
>
>   https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/boot
>
> instead.

I haven't tested on my machine yet but it looks like the UEFI firmware
builds at https://github.com/pftf/RPi4/releases started including a fixed
one in 1.10 (and it changed again in 1.12). So hopefully this is a non-
issue with the newer firmware. Will try to remember to check this later.

> Maybe we should ask jsg@ to update the firmware package again?

I think it makes sense to update, but we aren't using it on RPi4 anyway are we?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RPi4 with OpenBSD 6.7 -- vlan speed

Oliver Seidel-2
In reply to this post by Stuart Henderson
Dear Stuart,

you took some time for me.  I have now performed all the things that
were suggested by you and Mark Kettenis.  The speed is 100x faster, but
still 100x slower than the beagle bone black.

I have used the bootloader from here:
https://github.com/pftf/RPi4/releases/tag/v1.13
(downloaded yesterday)

I have replaced bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb  fixup4.dat  start4.elf from here:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/boot
(downloaded yesterday)

(my previous idiocy was to try it with html files; I did not click on
the github links, but saved them -- github does not give you the files,
but gives you an HTML page where you need to click on the download link)

I have used minirootfs67.iso for the installation and installed
(downloaded after the official release date from the official
repository, installed yesterday)

I have tried all 3 settings: ACPI, Devicetree and ACPI+Devicetree (no
discernible differences to my untrained eye)

Attached I send the capture.  First I give you the requested DMESG, then
I give you IFCONFIG (it is placed in the switch port of my beagle bone
openbsd firewall and .100.100 is the ISP router; the switch port gives
that to me on VLAN100.  You can see ping times of 4...115 msec.  Next I
neutralise the VLAN interface and put the IP address on the direct
interface BSE0.  With the RPi4 plugged straight into the ISP router I
now you see ping times of 1/3 msec.

You could argue it is my switch, except the 1/3sec is representative of
what I get with the beagle bone black and my old openbsd going via the
vlan to the router.

I would greatly appreciate if you could take the time to look at my
capture file and point out to me where I can see whether it is using
rgmii-rxid as it should and what I can do to make it fly.

Many thanks,

Oliver

minicom.cap (11K) Download Attachment