BSD kernel going to be included in University

BSD kernel going to be included in University

Siju George
Hi,

One of the Universities in India is going to include teaching the BSD
kernel in their syllabus.
Unfortunately this has been met with quite irrational opposition from
some Linux Junkies ( dirty politics ). Inorder to compile better
report and statistics to defend BSD it would be great if these
informatio can be gathered :-)

1) If you are a student or Professor ( or any other wise man ) can you
name Universities where they have included Teaching the BSD kernels in
their syllabus?

2) If you know of resouces where they have compared and contrasted the
Linux Kernel with the BSD kernel could you please give them?

Thankyou so much

Kind Regards

Siju

Re: BSD kernel going to be included in University

Lars Cleary
Siju George <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One of the Universities in India is going to include teaching the BSD
> kernel in their syllabus.
> Unfortunately this has been met with quite irrational opposition from
> some Linux Junkies ( dirty politics ). Inorder to compile better
> report and statistics to defend BSD it would be great if these
> informatio can be gathered :-)
>
> 1) If you are a student or Professor ( or any other wise man ) can you
> name Universities where they have included Teaching the BSD kernels in
> their syllabus?
http://www.mckusick.com/courses
I think parts of his courses are in Berkeley curriculum,
you'd have to call them though to make sure.

> 2) If you know of resouces where they have compared and contrasted the
> Linux Kernel with the BSD kernel could you please give them?
Maybe it's more important to have documentation and teaching
material for the subject available.
Both books by McKusick provide this.

> Thankyou so much
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Siju
Kind regards
Lars

Re: BSD kernel going to be included in University

Jeroen Massar
On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 10:12 +0530, Siju George wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of the Universities in India is going to include teaching the BSD
> kernel in their syllabus.
> Unfortunately this has been met with quite irrational opposition from
> some Linux Junkies ( dirty politics ). Inorder to compile better
> report and statistics to defend BSD it would be great if these
> informatio can be gathered :-)

"Teaching", with quotes because that ain't teaching but forcing, only a
single OS to students is the most zealottish thing one can do.
The 'irrational' part is that apparently both the "Linux Junkies" and
you as apparently a "BSD Zaelot" want to force their own thing down the
throats of the students. Clearly you also have no real answer why your
"BSD is much better than that Linux junk". Ever thought of the fact that
that depends completely on the application where one is using something?
Don't use a spoon (that might not even exist ;) to eat your
french^Wliberty fries and don't use a fork to eat your soup...

Every OS design has it's specific strong and weak points, students
should learn all of them so they can pick themselves what is the best
combination available. I suggest you take a look at "Operating System
Concepts" from Silberschatz & Galvin:

eg: http://codex.cs.yale.edu/avi/os-book/os7/

This covers all kind of OS's, ranging from the BSD's to Mach and even
Windows.

There is another excellent OS book(*), but I am a Dinosaur-Junky thus
only recommend this one ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen

--

* = Operating Systems Design and Implementation by Andrew Tanenbaum et
al.

On 7/12/06, Jeroen Massar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 10:12 +0530, Siju George wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > One of the Universities in India is going to include teaching the BSD
> > kernel in their syllabus.
> > Unfortunately this has been met with quite irrational opposition from
> > some Linux Junkies ( dirty politics ). Inorder to compile better
> > report and statistics to defend BSD it would be great if these
> > informatio can be gathered :-)
>
> "Teaching", with quotes because that ain't teaching but forcing, only a
> single OS to students is the most zealottish thing one can do.

Thankyou so much for the reply Jeroen :-)
Nothing like that is happenning here.

> The 'irrational' part is that apparently both the "Linux Junkies" and
> you as apparently a "BSD Zaelot" want to force their own thing down the
> throats of the students.

I am not a BSD zealot. I use what is best for a porpose in my personal
life as well as in my work place. Perhaps my words in the first mail
gave you taht kind of impression. Sorry for that :-)

>Clearly you also have no real answer why your
> "BSD is much better than that Linux junk".

That is not the point. I am just trying to gather some real facts (
for a friend of mine actually ) so that is can be organized in to a
good Document. With some real life statistics. And that person is a
BSD developer and knows much more than I know about BSDs. Just helping
my friend the best way I can thats all.

>Ever thought of the fact that
> that depends completely on the application where one is using something?

Why would you assume that I never thought of that fact buddy?

I use OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Linux, Windows, Mac OS X etc for differrent
purposes here. Again I am sorry if my wordings in the first mail gave
you a wrong impression.

> Don't use a spoon (that might not even exist ;) to eat your
> french^Wliberty fries and don't use a fork to eat your soup...

good idea :-) hahaha!

> Every OS design has it's specific strong and weak points, students
> should learn all of them so they can pick themselves what is the best
> combination available. I suggest you take a look at "Operating System
> Concepts" from Silberschatz & Galvin:
>
> eg: http://codex.cs.yale.edu/avi/os-book/os7/

Thankyou so much for your info. Actually Tedu had recommended this
book to me a few months back when I asked the list rsources to
undersand more about the "memory protection" thing's discussion :-)

I have that book and I have read it. And still keep reading it.
Again I am not looking for informaion on how BSD is better than Linux.

To make it clear it is not a BSD vs Linux fight.
It is a case when some people fight against BSD with no reason to do
what so ever ( dirty politics )

Thankyou so much for your long mail buddy :-)

Kind Regards

Siju

On 7/12/06, lars <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Siju George <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > One of the Universities in India is going to include teaching the BSD
> > kernel in their syllabus.
> > Unfortunately this has been met with quite irrational opposition from
> > some Linux Junkies ( dirty politics ). Inorder to compile better
> > report and statistics to defend BSD it would be great if these
> > informatio can be gathered :-)
> >
> > 1) If you are a student or Professor ( or any other wise man ) can you
> > name Universities where they have included Teaching the BSD kernels in
> > their syllabus?
> http://www.mckusick.com/courses
> I think parts of his courses are in Berkeley curriculum,
> you'd have to call them though to make sure.

Thanks a million Lars :-)

I was looking for some kind of hints and leads like this actualy.

Kind Regards

Siju

Re: BSD kernel going to be included in University

Gilles Chehade
On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 09:50:19 +0200
Jeroen Massar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 10:12 +0530, Siju George wrote:
>
> "Teaching", with quotes because that ain't teaching but forcing, only
> a single OS to students is the most zealottish thing one can do.

Sure. It is *obviously* easier to teach an operating system class when
all students are using different systems ...

> The 'irrational' part is that apparently both the "Linux Junkies" and
> you as apparently a "BSD Zaelot" want to force their own thing down
> the throats of the students. Clearly you also have no real answer why
> your "BSD is much better than that Linux junk". Ever thought of the
> fact that that depends completely on the application where one is
> using something? Don't use a spoon (that might not even exist ;) to
> eat your french^Wliberty fries and don't use a fork to eat your
> soup...
>
> Every OS design has it's specific strong and weak points, students
> should learn all of them so they can pick themselves what is the best
> combination available.

This does not make sense. OS classes are about the concepts and ideas
behind the design of an OS, not about the specific use of a system in
a particular application. Most of these concepts apply to BSD as well
as Linux and the choice of a BSD system is, in my opinion, preferable
due to the high quality and readability of the sources. And this does
not mean that concepts specific to other systems aren't explained, it
just means that there is ONE COMMON reference for everyone to look at
and try to understand. Imagine what happens when the teacher explains
a particular struct and everyone is reading a different source.

It is like when you were asked to read a book at school, the teachers
impose a book that you have to read, it does not mean that it is your
favorite one, it does not mean you should not read others, but it has
to be this one for the consistency of the class.

-- veins

Re: BSD kernel going to be included in University

Stephan A. Rickauer
Gilles Chehade wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 09:50:19 +0200
> Jeroen Massar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Every OS design has it's specific strong and weak points, students
>> should learn all of them so they can pick themselves what is the best
>> combination available.
>>

> and try to understand. Imagine what happens when the teacher explains
> a particular struct and everyone is reading a different source.

Not to mention the poor Sysadmin forced to support more than one OS in
one class ;)

--

 Stephan A. Rickauer

 Institut f|r Neuroinformatik          Tel: +41 44 635 30 50
 Universitdt / ETH Z|rich              Sek: +41 44 635 30 52
 Winterthurerstrasse 190               Fax: +41 44 635 30 53
 CH-8057 Z|rich                        Web:  www.ini.ethz.ch

 RSA public key: https://www.ini.ethz.ch/~stephan/pubkey.asc

Re: BSD kernel going to be included in University

beck-7
> Not to mention the poor Sysadmin forced to support more than one OS in
> one class ;)

        Balderdash. then he ain't very talented. Give em machines, authpf in
front, and OS CD's. Give bonus points to any groups that manage to
break into other groups machines. any other way to teach an OS class
is foolish :)

        Requires very little work on the sysadmin's part.

        -Bob