BSD.MP question

Gabriel George POPA
            Hello,

   I have an Intel P4 processor (with HyperThreading) and I am using a
bsd.mp kernel. Should I use the bare bsd kernel?
I've noticed that a lot of desktop applications are crashing (Mozilla,
for example). Could this be the cause (MP instead of bare?)?
Servers don't crash. They act normally. But Gtk applications really
generate a lot of problems. I used ports compiled by me (you know,
no pkg_add, but make install in the ports collection tree). But I
replaced all libraries with versions offered by ftp sites. I'm using
standard configuration for OpenBSD 3.8. What could be the cause? Why so
many desktop applications (in KDE, GNOME, Gtk apps etc.)
crash?

Yours in BSDness,

Gabriel George POPA

Re: BSD.MP question

Adam PAPAI
Gabriel George POPA wrote:

>            Hello,
>
>   I have an Intel P4 processor (with HyperThreading) and I am using a
> bsd.mp kernel. Should I use the bare bsd kernel?
> I've noticed that a lot of desktop applications are crashing (Mozilla,
> for example). Could this be the cause (MP instead of bare?)?
> Servers don't crash. They act normally. But Gtk applications really
> generate a lot of problems. I used ports compiled by me (you know,
> no pkg_add, but make install in the ports collection tree). But I
> replaced all libraries with versions offered by ftp sites. I'm using
> standard configuration for OpenBSD 3.8. What could be the cause? Why so
> many desktop applications (in KDE, GNOME, Gtk apps etc.)
> crash?

Just switch HT off and use the bsd instead of the bsd.mp.

--
Adam PAPAI
D i g i t a l Influence
Phone: +49 176-67264167 (Germany)

Re: Ports and BSD.MP question

Gabriel George POPA
                   Neah, Mozilla crashed again. What's the problem:
- the port?
- the libraries?
- ME?
            Did this happened to other people too? On what OpenBSD
versions? How did they solve this?

Re: Ports and BSD.MP question

Adam PAPAI
Gabriel George POPA wrote:

>                   Neah, Mozilla crashed again. What's the problem:
> - the port?
> - the libraries?
> - ME?
>            Did this happened to other people too? On what OpenBSD
> versions? How did they solve this?

I must say yes. :) Sometimes firefox crashs. What pages are related? Are
there javascripts on the websites? Or so many pictures? Have you
installed extensions or plugins? If yes, list of them.

--
Adam PAPAI
D i g i t a l Influence
http://www.digitalinfluence.hu
E-mail: [hidden email]
Phone: +36 30 33-55-735 (Hungary)
Phone: +49 176-67264167 (Germany)

Re: Ports and BSD.MP question

Gabriel George POPA
      I use Mozilla 1.7.12. Help->About->About Plug-ins sais I have no
plugins installed.
    And yes, indeed. It crashes especially on www.yahoo.com (when
running javascripts) and when there are a lot of pictures.
I really don't know what to do... Once I lost my bookmarks. There was a
moment when I lost some e-mails, stuff like this.

>>                   Neah, Mozilla crashed again. What's the problem:
>> - the port?
>> - the libraries?
>> - ME?
>>            Did this happened to other people too? On what OpenBSD
>> versions? How did they solve this?
>

> I must say yes. :) Sometimes firefox crashs. What pages are related?
> Are there javascripts on the websites? Or so many pictures? Have you
> installed extensions or plugins? If yes, list of them.

Re: Ports and BSD.MP question

Tobias Ulmer
On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 12:17:09PM +0300, Gabriel George POPA wrote:
>                   Neah, Mozilla crashed again. What's the problem:
> - the port?
> - the libraries?
> - ME?

- Mozilla/Firefox [x]

>            Did this happened to other people too? On what OpenBSD
> versions? How did they solve this?

Yep. On all.

Change the port to produce a debug version, make sure that
you have at least 2GiB of ram/swap and start mozilla/firefox in gdb.
(It will be slow as hell...)
Now reproduce the crash, get a "bt full" and start diging in the code.
Create patch, send it to ports@. Then go to their bugtracker, do a good
search on the issue and you will find that exactly the same bug was
discovered back in 2003 (with a patch), but until now nobody fixed it.

The whole process will decrease your opinion about the most secure
browser by 400%

Just my experience

Tobias