Audio quality

Pavan Maddamsetti
Hey,

Just thought I would take a moment to appreciate the OpenBSD audio
subsystem. I don't know if it is just me, but instead of using my
phone to listen to Youtube I plugged the headphones into my desktop
machine. It's a small PC with an older model Atom processor and
Realtek ALC887 on the board. Headphones are ~$10 from Monoprice.

Good Lord, it sounds fantastic.

Re: Audio quality

Theo de Raadt
> Just thought I would take a moment to appreciate the OpenBSD audio
> subsystem. I don't know if it is just me, but instead of using my
> phone to listen to Youtube I plugged the headphones into my desktop
> machine. It's a small PC with an older model Atom processor and
> Realtek ALC887 on the board. Headphones are ~$10 from Monoprice.
>
> Good Lord, it sounds fantastic.

It is pretty good.  Surprising integration.  There are a few problems
with MUTE buttons on some laptops, in particular some generations of
thinkpads.  But on the whole, a surprisingly small subsystem that
operates quite well with the weak realtime gaurantees of OpenBSD.

Re: Audio quality

Benjamin Baier
On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 00:40:57 -0400
Pavan Maddamsetti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Just thought I would take a moment to appreciate the OpenBSD audio
> subsystem. I don't know if it is just me, but instead of using my
> phone to listen to Youtube I plugged the headphones into my desktop
> machine. It's a small PC with an older model Atom processor and
> Realtek ALC887 on the board. Headphones are ~$10 from Monoprice.
>
> Good Lord, it sounds fantastic.

Have my stereo connected and I use OpenBSD for audio/video playback exclusively
for over a year now. Very nice overall audio integration.
With Pulseaudio I always had the need to fiddle with the mixer to get audio
volumes the way I want them. Now I just have to controll the master volume,
because on OpenBSD the applications behave like they should.

PS: This "NetworkOS" makes a hell of a desktop machine...