Athn0 DHCP problem...

slhactivist
Hi there misc! I'm having trouble connecting to my router. Any help would
be appreciated.

I can get athn0 to "link", but then it sends a dozen DHCPREQUESTs, and then
sends DHCPDISCOVERs until it sleeps...

I've never had this problem before. Last time I switch routers, I just
changed nwid, and wpakey with ifconfig, then ran dhclient for athn0 and it
worked.

This time i've tried setting chan, bssid, nwid, nwkey, wpakey, and wpaakms.

I've set these parameters with ifconfig, and also entered into my
/etc/hostname.athn0 file.

I've also tried entering (into the /etc/hostname.athn0 file) "dhcp" and
"dhcp NONE NONE NONE" before any parameters.

Usually, the anth0 won't link, just sleeps. But sometimes I can get it to
send some DHCPREQUESTs and DHCPDISCOVERs before sleeping... >_<

Um...I haven't changed much. Just edited the /etc/pf.conf file (just delete
all blank lines and comments to make it smaller :P) and did whatever
afterboot said, oh and also right at the end of /etc/netstart I added
"ifconfig athn0 lladdr random" to randomize my MAC on each boot.

Sometimes I try running /etc/netstart athn0 instead of dhclient athn0.

Oh, and also I edited /etc/dhclient.conf a little, just to make it try
longer before going to sleep, but doesn't help.

Anyone have any ideas??? I'm totally stuck! (reading RFC 2131 right now...)

Thanks!!!

P.S. using openbsd 5.2, running on a toshiba netbook.

Re: Athn0 DHCP problem...

Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen
slhac tivist <[hidden email]> writes:

> I can get athn0 to "link", but then it sends a dozen DHCPREQUESTs, and then
> sends DHCPDISCOVERs until it sleeps...
>
> I've never had this problem before. Last time I switch routers, I just
> changed nwid, and wpakey with ifconfig, then ran dhclient for athn0 and it
> worked.

Wireless networks are a pain in general, but the general advice is
anyway to make really sure your access point and your client are in fact
using the same settings. On this laptop, my /etc/hostname.iwn0 (not the
same part, I know, but for most practical purposes the same) has only

media autoselect nwid nomap wpakey allfunnybusiness
dhcp
rtsol

> This time i've tried setting chan, bssid, nwid, nwkey, wpakey, and wpaakms.
>
> I've set these parameters with ifconfig, and also entered into my
> /etc/hostname.athn0 file.

I've never had too much joy from setting those explicitly on the client,
but do check what the output of 'ifconfig athn0 scan' says about the
access point's settings, if anything. Worth noting is this bit from the
athn man page:

CAVEATS
     The athn driver does not support any of the 802.11n capabilities offered
     by the adapters.  Additional work is required in ieee80211(9) before
     those features can be supported.

which means you will need to stick to a, b or g modes for now.

- P

Re: Athn0 DHCP problem...

slhactivist
Thanks for the tip about no 'n' band. Here's some more info:

Here's my /etc/hostname.athn0 file:

-wol group egress chan 11 bssid ****** nwid ****** nwkey ****** wpakey
****** wpaakms pks
dhcp NONE NONE NONE

And here is ifconfig athn0:

athn0 flag=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
lladdr: ******
priority: 4
groups: wlan egress
media: IEEE802.11 autoselect (DS1 mode 11g)

And when I scan (sudo ifconfig athn0 scan) I get something like this
(forgot to write down so from memory):
ieee80211: nwid ****** chan 11 bssid ****** 3dB 54MB privacy,
short_preamble, short_slottime
wpakey <not displayed> wpaprotos wpa1, wpa2 wpakms psk wpaciphers tkip,
ccmp wpagroupcipher tkip
inet ****** prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

Um...when I looked at the router (It's a D-LINK connected to a Telus DSL
box) there is a sticky note on it that says "Wireless: NO DHCP"...but
everyone else is using wireless internet...

Also , when I scan for networks, not only does the network name appear, but
so does a DLINK and a TELUS network.

Not sure what other information is relevant.

MAIN PROBLEM: Athn0 won't link...1/10 times it will it seems, after I
fiddle with it...

I have a feeling this is a simple config file problem, but I'm just not
used to editing conf files.

Am I going about this the right way? (i.e. editing /etc/dhclient.conf,
pf.conf, /etc/hostname.athn0, /etc/myname, and running /etc/netstart,
ifconfig, and dhclient?)????

Thanks in advance!!!

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Peter N. M. Hansteen <[hidden email]>wrote:

> slhac tivist <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > I can get athn0 to "link", but then it sends a dozen DHCPREQUESTs, and
> then
> > sends DHCPDISCOVERs until it sleeps...
> >
> > I've never had this problem before. Last time I switch routers, I just
> > changed nwid, and wpakey with ifconfig, then ran dhclient for athn0 and
> it
> > worked.
>
> Wireless networks are a pain in general, but the general advice is
> anyway to make really sure your access point and your client are in fact
> using the same settings. On this laptop, my /etc/hostname.iwn0 (not the
> same part, I know, but for most practical purposes the same) has only
>
> media autoselect nwid nomap wpakey allfunnybusiness
> dhcp
> rtsol
>
> > This time i've tried setting chan, bssid, nwid, nwkey, wpakey, and
> wpaakms.
> >
> > I've set these parameters with ifconfig, and also entered into my
> > /etc/hostname.athn0 file.
>
> I've never had too much joy from setting those explicitly on the client,
> but do check what the output of 'ifconfig athn0 scan' says about the
> access point's settings, if anything. Worth noting is this bit from the
> athn man page:
>
> CAVEATS
>      The athn driver does not support any of the 802.11n capabilities
> offered
>      by the adapters.  Additional work is required in ieee80211(9) before
>      those features can be supported.
>
> which means you will need to stick to a, b or g modes for now.
>
> - P
>
> --
> Peter N. M. Hansteen, member of the first RFC 1149 implementation team
> http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/
> "Remember to set the evil bit on all malicious network traffic"
> delilah spamd[29949]: 85.152.224.147: disconnected after 42673 seconds.

Re: Athn0 DHCP problem...

Kirill Bychkov-2
On Wed, January 23, 2013 02:50, slhac tivist wrote:
> Thanks for the tip about no 'n' band. Here's some more info:
>
> Here's my /etc/hostname.athn0 file:
>
> -wol group egress chan 11 bssid ****** nwid ****** nwkey ****** wpakey
> ****** wpaakms pks
> dhcp NONE NONE NONE

You're mixing WEP and WPA keys. Try to use one of them, not both.

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 04:50:17PM -0700, slhac tivist wrote:
> Thanks for the tip about no 'n' band. Here's some more info:
>
> Here's my /etc/hostname.athn0 file:
>
> -wol group egress chan 11 bssid ****** nwid ****** nwkey ****** wpakey
> ****** wpaakms pks
> dhcp NONE NONE NONE

The first thing I notice here is that you specify both wep (nwkey) and wpa (wpakey etc).
That won't work. Choose one, whatever your access point has. I'd concentrate on
the basics for now, meaning set only the nwid and either nwkey or wpakey, see
that you actually have a link, like this iwn0 (status: active)

[Wed Jan 23 08:59:11] peter@deeperthought:~$ ifconfig iwn0
iwn0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        lladdr 00:26:c6:1c:c9:44
        priority: 4
        groups: wlan egress
        media: IEEE802.11 autoselect (OFDM54 mode 11g)
        status: active
        ieee80211: nwid sonofskinny chan 13 bssid 00:12:17:68:8c:e9 207dB
        inet6 fe80::226:c6ff:fe1c:c944%iwn0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
        inet 172.16.103.67 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 172.16.103.255

> And when I scan (sudo ifconfig athn0 scan) I get something like this
> (forgot to write down so from memory):
> ieee80211: nwid ****** chan 11 bssid ****** 3dB 54MB privacy,
> short_preamble, short_slottime
> wpakey <not displayed> wpaprotos wpa1, wpa2 wpakms psk wpaciphers tkip,
> ccmp wpagroupcipher tkip
> inet ****** prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

This looks like WPA, but do check if that's the one you want. wifi is rather nasty
in that there's a real risk of interference if there are several access points
talking on nearby channels, meaning it's higly likely you get random packet drops
etc even with strong signals.

> Um...when I looked at the router (It's a D-LINK connected to a Telus DSL
> box) there is a sticky note on it that says "Wireless: NO DHCP"...but
> everyone else is using wireless internet...

it's certainly possible to set up wireless with fixed IP addresses and no DHCP.
Check if that one is the one you want, if so you will need to get hold of a valid
fixed IP address and other relevant parameters you would otherwise just be served
via DHCP.

> Also , when I scan for networks, not only does the network name appear, but
> so does a DLINK and a TELUS network.
>
> Not sure what other information is relevant.
>
> MAIN PROBLEM: Athn0 won't link...1/10 times it will it seems, after I
> fiddle with it...

from your slightly obfuscated hostname.athn0 it looks like you still have the
basic parameters wrong. check ifconfig athn0 scan output and go from there
is the best advice. (and of course ifconfig athn0 debug possibly paired with
creative use of tcpdump could help)

- Peter

Re: Athn0 DHCP problem...

slhactivist
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I wasn't sure about using both nwkey and
wpakey. I'll try to correct my hostname.if file and get a static ip, and
let you know how it goes...