Apache speed limitation

edgarz
Hello list!

At the moment i have huge loaded Apache web server, download bw is
~3MB/s. And almost all sites now is veeeeery slow. Is here any built in
speed limitation functions? If no what should i use?

Re: Apache speed limitation

john gotti
hey ,

i don't know there is speed limitation but i had speed problem with build in
openbsd(3.8) apache espesially mod_proxy  module (  response time  was 2-3
sec  when should be  0,2 - 0,3  sec )  so i put  apache2 and had no more
problems

regards
dalgorno

On 4/7/06, edgarz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello list!
>
> At the moment i have huge loaded Apache web server, download bw is
> ~3MB/s. And almost all sites now is veeeeery slow. Is here any built in
> speed limitation functions? If no what should i use?

Re: Apache speed limitation

Frank Denis (Jedi/Sector One)-6
Le Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 02:03:41PM +0300, edgarz ecrivait :
>At the moment i have huge loaded Apache web server, download bw is
>~3MB/s. And almost all sites now is veeeeery slow. Is here any built in
>speed limitation functions? If no what should i use?

  lighttpd.

Re: Apache speed limitation

edgarz
i'm too lazy to move all vhosts from apache to lighttpd, too much them :/

Frank Denis wrote:
> Le Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 02:03:41PM +0300, edgarz ecrivait :
>
>> At the moment i have huge loaded Apache web server, download bw is
>> ~3MB/s. And almost all sites now is veeeeery slow. Is here any built
>> in speed limitation functions? If no what should i use?
>

>  lighttpd.

Re: Apache speed limitation

Norbert TITKO
On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, edgarz wrote:

> i'm too lazy to move all vhosts from apache to lighttpd, too much them :/

it's the easiest thing one can do :-)
btw, did you try to turn on logging and see what's wrong w/ apache?
(LogLevel Debug, etc)

"I hope I never get so old I get religious." - Ingmar Bergman

Re: Apache speed limitation

edgarz
1km long apache virtualhost configuration. and rewrite it by hand?
uhh... :(
As i said, hundreds of connections and used apache bandwidth is about ~3MB/s

Norbert TITKO wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, edgarz wrote:
>
>> i'm too lazy to move all vhosts from apache to lighttpd, too much them :/
>

> it's the easiest thing one can do :-)
> btw, did you try to turn on logging and see what's wrong w/ apache?
> (LogLevel Debug, etc)

Re: Apache speed limitation

Gilles Chehade
On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 15:14:30 +0200
Frank Denis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 02:03:41PM +0300, edgarz ecrivait :
> >At the moment i have huge loaded Apache web server, download bw is
> >~3MB/s. And almost all sites now is veeeeery slow. Is here any built in
> >speed limitation functions? If no what should i use?
>
>   lighttpd.

No. Apache isn't supposed to be veeeeeery slow, it should be able to
handle much more and "no" there is no speed limitation functions. It
requires some configuration tuning, not a switch to another httpd.

Re: Apache speed limitation

edgarz
Any suggestions to push apache work more quickly?
after i removed that evil host and restarted apache, mysql was lagging,
i can say it was dead. Strange, but that site was browsable dir without
html/php code, only mp3's :) Might be some connection limit was reached
or something like that :/

Gilles Chehade wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 15:14:30 +0200
> Frank Denis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Le Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 02:03:41PM +0300, edgarz ecrivait :
>>
>>>At the moment i have huge loaded Apache web server, download bw is
>>>~3MB/s. And almost all sites now is veeeeery slow. Is here any built in
>>>speed limitation functions? If no what should i use?
>>
>>  lighttpd.
>>

> No. Apache isn't supposed to be veeeeeery slow, it should be able to
> handle much more and "no" there is no speed limitation functions. It
> requires some configuration tuning, not a switch to another httpd.
>
> [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]

Re: Apache speed limitation

Rogier Krieger
On 4/7/06, Gilles Chehade <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It requires some configuration tuning, not a switch to another httpd.

You're probably right on this. The OP may want to look at recent
configuration changes, runaway scripts and the like.

For instance: does the server config perform DNS lookups? Such things
may hold a server back when servicing a large number of requests (from
various sources).

Cheers,

Rogier

If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there.

Re: Apache speed limitation

On 2006/04/07 18:03, edgarz wrote:
> Strange, but that site was browsable dir without html/php code,
> only mp3's

Of course this will be slow: you have to stat each file for
every hit on the auto-generated index. Compare 'ktrace ls' vs
'ktrace ls -l' and see how much more work is involved.

Save a static html instead.

Re: Apache speed limitation

O b s d
I use mod_choke to limit speeds and ips to virtualhosts.  Easy to install
and config, works fine on 3.5 :)

http://os.cyberheatinc.com/mod_choke.php

On 4/7/06, edgarz <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hello list!
>
>At the moment i have huge loaded Apache web server, download bw is
>~3MB/s. And almost all sites now is veeeeery slow. Is here any built in
>speed limitation functions? If no what should i use?

realestate.com.au: the biggest address in property
http://ninemsn.realestate.com.au

Re: Apache speed limitation

edgarz
Default setting
HostnameLookups Off

Rogier Krieger wrote:

> On 4/7/06, Gilles Chehade <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It requires some configuration tuning, not a switch to another httpd.
>
> You're probably right on this. The OP may want to look at recent
> configuration changes, runaway scripts and the like.
>
> For instance: does the server config perform DNS lookups? Such things
> may hold a server back when servicing a large number of requests (from
> various sources).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rogier

> If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there.

Re: Apache speed limitation

Karsten McMinn
On 4/7/06, edgarz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello list!
>
> At the moment i have huge loaded Apache web server, download bw is
> ~3MB/s. And almost all sites now is veeeeery slow. Is here any built in
> speed limitation functions? If no what should i use?

The main directives you want to pay attention to with regards to pure
performance are:

Timeout
KeepAlive
MaxKeepAliveRequests
KeepAliveTimeout
MinSpareServers
MaxSpareServers
StartServers
MaxClients
MaxRequestsPerChild
ListenBacklog

See the apache documentation on tuning these. They are straight forward.
I've
had apache on i386 on a single proc serve 2k requests per second static
conent without any trouble before. You'll have to recompile to up the
hard server limit though. see "#define HARD_SERVER_LIMIT" in httpd.h

Granted this is assuming you aren't just running out of bandwidth or
anything silly like that.

Re: Apache speed limitation

Daniel Ouellet
edgarz wrote:
> Any suggestions to push apache work more quickly?

What do you mean by that?

> after i removed that evil host and restarted apache, mysql was lagging,
> i can say it was dead. Strange, but that site was browsable dir without
> html/php code, only mp3's :) Might be some connection limit was reached
> or something like that :/

How many sites do you run on that box. The default is 256 connection
maximum. I you want more, you need to recompile the install and there is
one line of code to change for that, then enable more in your configuration.

You are not really providing much to help you really.

Re: Apache speed limitation

edgarz
Thanks!
I will try it tomorrow, or day after tomorrow, or day after day after
tomorrow :)