Anybody replace the disk drive in a Lemote Fuloong?

Anybody replace the disk drive in a Lemote Fuloong?

John Long-4
One of my little friends has a dead drive. Unfortunately it is shoehorned in
there pretty good. Has anybody on the list replaced the disk drive on one of
these and if so would you explain how you did it?

Is anybody using a regular USB stick as a primary disk drive for OpenBSD and
if so how well do they work and how long do they last? Is this a reasonable
solution for an appliance or dev box and are there better alternatives that
will work over USB or the network? Specifically this box can boot and run
from USB but I don't know if it can run diskless or how well it would run.

Thanks.

/jl

--
ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) Powered by Lemote Fuloong
 against HTML e-mail   X  Loongson MIPS and OpenBSD
 Encrypted email preferred  PGP Key 2048R/DA65BC04

Re: Anybody replace the disk drive in a Lemote Fuloong?

Otto Moerbeek
On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 10:05:55AM +0000, John Long wrote:

> One of my little friends has a dead drive. Unfortunately it is shoehorned in
> there pretty good. Has anybody on the list replaced the disk drive on one of
> these and if so would you explain how you did it?

Yes, I have done that several times to replace the slow standard disk
with an SSD.

Unscrew the four screws on the side VGA connector side. Slide the
logic board out. Unscrew the three black screws that hold the disk
bracket. The screws are unmarked but they are near R164, C174 and U32.
You can then slide the disk and bracket out of the connector. Replace
the disk in the bracket and reverse the steps.

> Is anybody using a regular USB stick as a primary disk drive for OpenBSD and
> if so how well do they work and how long do they last? Is this a reasonable
> solution for an appliance or dev box and are there better alternatives that
> will work over USB or the network? Specifically this box can boot and run
> from USB but I don't know if it can run diskless or how well it would run.

I would not recommend that. USB sticks are slow and unrelaible.

        -Otto

Re: Anybody replace the disk drive in a Lemote Fuloong?

Libertas
On 01/26/2015 05:05 AM, John Long wrote:
> Is anybody using a regular USB stick as a primary disk drive for OpenBSD and
> if so how well do they work and how long do they last? Is this a reasonable
> solution for an appliance or dev box and are there better alternatives that
> will work over USB or the network? Specifically this box can boot and run
> from USB but I don't know if it can run diskless or how well it would run.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#flashmemBoot

Otto's one of the heads around here and thinks otherwise, though. I
guess there isn't a strong consensus.

If I understand correctly, USB 3.0 support isn't in the 5.6 release but
is in the current snapshots. Using a USB 3.0 flash drive should make for
a much faster bootable flash drive, assuming it works. There was just a
discussion here relating to that, actually.

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 09:55:49AM -0500, Libertas wrote:

> On 01/26/2015 05:05 AM, John Long wrote:
> > Is anybody using a regular USB stick as a primary disk drive for OpenBSD and
> > if so how well do they work and how long do they last? Is this a reasonable
> > solution for an appliance or dev box and are there better alternatives that
> > will work over USB or the network? Specifically this box can boot and run
> > from USB but I don't know if it can run diskless or how well it would run.
>
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#flashmemBoot
>
> Otto's one of the heads around here and thinks otherwise, though. I
> guess there isn't a strong consensus.
>
> If I understand correctly, USB 3.0 support isn't in the 5.6 release but
> is in the current snapshots. Using a USB 3.0 flash drive should make for
> a much faster bootable flash drive, assuming it works. There was just a
> discussion here relating to that, actually.

AFAIK, there's no USB3 hardware in any of the Loongson machines.

        -Otto

Re: Anybody replace the disk drive in a Lemote Fuloong?

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado
On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 09:55:49AM -0500, Libertas wrote:

> On 01/26/2015 05:05 AM, John Long wrote:
> > Is anybody using a regular USB stick as a primary disk drive for OpenBSD and
> > if so how well do they work and how long do they last? Is this a reasonable
> > solution for an appliance or dev box and are there better alternatives that
> > will work over USB or the network? Specifically this box can boot and run
> > from USB but I don't know if it can run diskless or how well it would run.
>
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#flashmemBoot
>
> Otto's one of the heads around here and thinks otherwise, though. I
> guess there isn't a strong consensus.
>
> If I understand correctly, USB 3.0 support isn't in the 5.6 release but
> is in the current snapshots. Using a USB 3.0 flash drive should make for
> a much faster bootable flash drive, assuming it works. There was just a
> discussion here relating to that, actually.

The problem with the speed of the USB sticks is not related to USB
2.0, the flash memories used by the USB sticks are terribly slow. The
USB hard disks work like a charm.

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info

Re: Anybody replace the disk drive in a Lemote Fuloong?

Nick Holland
On 01/26/15 09:55, Libertas wrote:

> On 01/26/2015 05:05 AM, John Long wrote:
>> Is anybody using a regular USB stick as a primary disk drive for OpenBSD and
>> if so how well do they work and how long do they last? Is this a reasonable
>> solution for an appliance or dev box and are there better alternatives that
>> will work over USB or the network? Specifically this box can boot and run
>> from USB but I don't know if it can run diskless or how well it would run.
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#flashmemBoot
>
> Otto's one of the heads around here and thinks otherwise, though. I
> guess there isn't a strong consensus.

depends what you are doing with the system.
I use a USB flash drive on two firewall systems at home, works great.
As a quick-and-dirty way of looking at unknown hardware, also works great.

On my primary workstation?  No, don't think a USB stick would be my
first choice.  Or my second.  Probably not even my third.

All depends on the application.  If you are mostly booting and little
logging, a USB flash boot disk works fine.  Disk intensive, not so good.

I've softraided USB drives, not sure I'd recommend that level of
complexity, though.

Nick.

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 02:28:35PM +0100, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> Unscrew the four screws on the side VGA connector side. Slide the
> logic board out. Unscrew the three black screws that hold the disk
> bracket. The screws are unmarked but they are near R164, C174 and U32.
> You can then slide the disk and bracket out of the connector. Replace
> the disk in the bracket and reverse the steps.

It's a 5 minute job when somebody points out which screws are the right ones
and you find the right tiny screwdriver. Back on the air!  Thanks, Otto!

/jl