Any OpenSBD users in Manchester UK?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Any OpenSBD users in Manchester UK?

Siju George
Hi,

I have to come to U.K from 6th July to 15th July.
It would be great if I can find a few OpenBSD users there and see how
your implementations are :-)

Please let me know your contact details off list.
Also let me know if you need something from India :-)))))))) if i can
afford it I'll get it for you.

I have never seen other architectures except x86, amd64, PPC ( thanks
to e-mac ).
Yes I saw a sparc system once but it was not connected to anything and
a few people were around it in an institute trying to make heads and
tails out of lump of metal and find the place where to connect the
keyboard because it had no serial/ps2/usb ports.

It would be great if I can see those other architectures like sparc64,
VAX, arm etc and spend some time learning from experienced users
:-))))))))

I think this would be the best opportunity for that.
Those things are rare if at all existent in this part of the sub continent.
I have a tight schedule since I am coming there as part of my Job so I
don't even know if I'll get free time on weekends but surely don't
want to miss the chance of seeing you people and these machines if the
Lord permits :-)))))

If the trip were to Paris I would have gone to the house of Johan
Sanchez :-) who has a whole lot of different architectures.

And if the trip were to Canada I would stay at Theo's place and give
him some bright Ideas ;-)

Germany? Henning of course :-))))))))

US? Nick or JCR :-))))))))))

Thank you so much

Kind Regards

Siju

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any OpenSBD users in Manchester UK?

michael enoma aghayere
> I have never seen other architectures except x86, amd64, PPC ( thanks
> to e-mac ).
> Yes I saw a sparc system once but it was not connected to anything and
> a few people were around it in an institute trying to make heads and
> tails out of lump of metal and find the place where to connect the
> keyboard because it had no serial/ps2/usb ports.
>
> It would be great if I can see those other architectures like sparc64,
> VAX, arm etc and spend some time learning from experienced users
> :-))))))))

Hi siju,

You probably wont see any of their systems on display running OpenBSD,
but if you're in the UK and into old kit how about a trip over to
Bletchley Park?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bletchley_Park

They should even have a Colossus on display dating back to '44.
Again, this probably wont run OpenBSD.

:)

--
~michael
www.bsdqed.com

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any OpenSBD users in Manchester UK?

demuel
In reply to this post by Siju George
What will you be doing here in UK?

> Hi,
>
> I have to come to U.K from 6th July to 15th July.
> It would be great if I can find a few OpenBSD users there and see how
> your implementations are :-)
>
> Please let me know your contact details off list.
> Also let me know if you need something from India :-)))))))) if i can
> afford it I'll get it for you.
>
> I have never seen other architectures except x86, amd64, PPC ( thanks
> to e-mac ).
> Yes I saw a sparc system once but it was not connected to anything and
> a few people were around it in an institute trying to make heads and
> tails out of lump of metal and find the place where to connect the
> keyboard because it had no serial/ps2/usb ports.
>
> It would be great if I can see those other architectures like sparc64,
> VAX, arm etc and spend some time learning from experienced users
> :-))))))))
>
> I think this would be the best opportunity for that.
> Those things are rare if at all existent in this part of the sub continent.
> I have a tight schedule since I am coming there as part of my Job so I
> don't even know if I'll get free time on weekends but surely don't
> want to miss the chance of seeing you people and these machines if the
> Lord permits :-)))))
>
> If the trip were to Paris I would have gone to the house of Johan
> Sanchez :-) who has a whole lot of different architectures.
>
> And if the trip were to Canada I would stay at Theo's place and give
> him some bright Ideas ;-)
>
> Germany? Henning of course :-))))))))
>
> US? Nick or JCR :-))))))))))
>
> Thank you so much
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Siju

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any OpenSBD users in Manchester UK?

Darrin Chandler
In reply to this post by Siju George
On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 06:06:59PM +0530, Siju George wrote:
> I have to come to U.K from 6th July to 15th July.
> It would be great if I can find a few OpenBSD users there and see how
> your implementations are :-)

I'm not 100% sure on the dates, but I believe you will just miss the
Manchester BSD User Group meeting :(

No, I'm not in the UK. Here's the web page:

http://www.bsdgroups.org.uk/manchester/

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
[hidden email]   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |  Daemons in the Desert   |  Global BUG Federation

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any OpenSBD users in Manchester UK?

Siju George
In reply to this post by demuel
Thank you so much Darrin and Michael for your responses :-)
Hope I will be lucky enough to have time and oppourtunity.

On 6/29/07, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What will you be doing here in UK?
>

Well...........

Well..............................

Now who told you to ask that question? :-)
I carefully avoided that in the previous mail !

I am coming there to install a BSD firewall for a client.
They need a GUI, that is a must.
So it is not our favourite OS.
It is pfSense :-)

I will have to train them how to use it too.

Besides we did develop some demo application for them in MS technologies.
So will be doing the demo installation of that as well and some
training on that too.

Ok keep it secret. it is classified information :-)))))))))

Thanks for asking any ways

Kind regards

Siju

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any OpenSBD users in Manchester UK?

demuel
Hmm, are there no competent OpenBSD user/programmer/administrator/whatever in the UK?
They should inform me, I been into OpenBSD since 2.6 and now they have to import someone
from a different timezone just to do that while I am here basically several hours by
train -).

That is not classified anymore. Just be careful, security here might be a tougher one in
the airport due to a foiled terrorist attack earlier today at the heart of Central
London.


> Thank you so much Darrin and Michael for your responses :-)
> Hope I will be lucky enough to have time and oppourtunity.
>
> On 6/29/07, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What will you be doing here in UK?
>>
>
> Well...........
>
> Well..............................
>
> Now who told you to ask that question? :-)
> I carefully avoided that in the previous mail !
>
> I am coming there to install a BSD firewall for a client.
> They need a GUI, that is a must.
> So it is not our favourite OS.
> It is pfSense :-)
>
> I will have to train them how to use it too.
>
> Besides we did develop some demo application for them in MS technologies.
> So will be doing the demo installation of that as well and some
> training on that too.
>
> Ok keep it secret. it is classified information :-)))))))))
>
> Thanks for asking any ways
>
> Kind regards
>
> Siju