Ansible network_cli module broke

John Doe-2
Installed the ansible pkg via pkg_add. I cannot get the ansible network_cli
module to work in OpenBSD. Tried in version 6.6 and also 6.7 and both hang
at "using connection plugin network_cli". It never times out, hangs here
forever.

I copied my ansible configuration files over to a fedora OS and the
ansible-playbook works successfully. Has anyone used OpenBSD as an ansible
control node to manage network devices via SSH? Below is the output I
receive.

openbsd#  ansible-playbook -vvvv -u username -k -e ansible_network_os=ios
test.yml
<snip>
TASK [ios_config]
task path: /etc/ansible/test.yml:6
<192.168.1.1> attempting to start connection
<192.168.1.1.1> using connection plugin network_cli

Re: Ansible network_cli module broke

Predrag Punosevac-2
John Doe <mitchswebinar () gmail ! com> wrote:

> Installed the ansible pkg via pkg_add. I cannot get the ansible
> network_cli
> module to work in OpenBSD. Tried in version 6.6 and also 6.7 and both
> hang
> at "using connection plugin network_cli". It never times out, hangs here
> forever.
>
> I copied my ansible configuration files over to a fedora OS and the
> ansible-playbook works successfully. Has anyone used OpenBSD as an
> ansible
> control node to manage network devices via SSH? Below is the output I
> receive.

I am not sure what do you mean by network devices. I do use OpenBSD as
an ansible control node to manage a smallish cluster of about 70
servers. I do not use ansible to manage my switches, UPSs, and PDUs.
I will be the first one to confess that I am not an ansible expert. Thus
I had to have a quick look at the relevant documentation and the module
you are asking about.

https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/network/index.html

https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/plugins/connection/network_cli.html

I have never used the module in question but a quick read reveals that
it is community supported module. I read that sentence as Ubuntu
specific (best case scenario Linux specific) module. I would dig deeper
into documentation before expecting that thing to work. You might need
to do some extra configuration steps as the things on OpenBSD are not
located on the same location as on the Red Hat for example.

Best,
Predrag