An OpenBSD smartphone

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

f.holop
hmm, on Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 04:51:00PM -0600, Marko Kraljevic said that
> The most open phone I'm aware of is Nokia N900. It runs Maemo, and can

http://wiki.geeksphone.com/en/index.php?title=Main_Page

-f
go and catch a falling star...

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

Mark Shroyer-6
On 11/17/2010 7:28 PM, Marco Peereboom wrote:
> It is ok if you don't mind goolge and the us gov to read your email,
> credit card numbers, etc etc.
>
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 04:43:46PM +0100, Tomas Vavrys wrote:
>> The best options is Android at the moment. It's working fine and I
>> have to say I like it a lot. But it is definitely not open as
>> possible.

If you really think this is a concern you can just run a ROM of the
open-source Android operating system (such as Cyanogen) without the
proprietary Google applications on top, and then you have nothing to
worry about.

--
Mark Shroyer
http://markshroyer.com/contact/

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

Theo de Raadt
> > It is ok if you don't mind goolge and the us gov to read your email,
> > credit card numbers, etc etc.
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 04:43:46PM +0100, Tomas Vavrys wrote:
> >> The best options is Android at the moment. It's working fine and I
> >> have to say I like it a lot. But it is definitely not open as
> >> possible.
>
> If you really think this is a concern you can just run a ROM of the
> open-source Android operating system (such as Cyanogen) without the
> proprietary Google applications on top, and then you have nothing to
> worry about.

Oh my god, yes, virtual machines are so safe.

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

Dmitrij D. Czarkoff-2
On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Christian Weisgerber
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Android and Maemo are Linux-based. B Symbian, iOS, Bada, Blackberry
> and Windows Mobile are not.

Bada is typically linux-based, while Bada implementation inSamsung
Wave S8500 isn't. Actually it  contains code from BSD flavour
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bada_(operating_system)#Architecture).

Dmitrij D. Czarkoff

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

Mark Shroyer-6
On 11/21/2010 3:55 AM, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> Oh my god, yes, virtual machines are so safe.

Huh?  I was replying to Marco's statement that

>>> [Android] is ok if you don't mind goolge and the us gov to read
>>> your email, credit card numbers, etc etc.

Which seemed to imply that Android has built-in backdoor access for
Google, and by proxy the U.S. government.  I'm not claiming that Android
is free of security defects (let alone because of the Dalvik VM) -- just
that, at least as far as the core open-source operating system goes, it
doesn't have any intentional backdoors.

Or am I misunderstanding you here?

--
Mark Shroyer
http://markshroyer.com/contact/

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

Hugo Osvaldo Barrera
On 17/11/10 12:59, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> Jan Stary <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> My twelve years old cell phone needs to get replaced,
>> most probably with one of these newer smartphones.
>>
>> Beside other things, I want it to be as "open" as possible:
>> a freely-available OS, a class-compliant USB storage, a documented
> The most open smartphone I'm aware of is the Nokia N900.
>
>> wifi hardware, etc. So, in this regard: has someone managed
>> to install obsd on some of these newer phones?
> No.  Also, compare the user interface and applications useful on a
> phone with what's available for OpenBSD.
>
>> I understand that most of these have an OS that is basically
>> a modified linux;
> Android and Maemo are Linux-based.  Symbian, iOS, Bada, Blackberry
> and Windows Mobile are not.
>
>> does anyone know about a varinat that would have an OS based on BSD?
> Apple's iOS is the most BSD-ish.  But that is utterly closed, and
> the iPhone is dongled to the proprietary iTunes program (Mac OS,
> MS Windows).

Nokia N900 is actually the most open smartphone there is.
Some andriod-based phones are open, on others, there's no chance of
installing another OS.
I've heard of a couple of linux distros running on N900, and you can
actually dual-boot on it, which would be nice __while__ you're trying to
get openbsd running (assuming it doesn't work out of the box, which I
don't expect it to).

Hugo Osvaldo Barrera

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

piroko
I was just thinking today about how cool it would be to have an OpenBSD
phone, and then I saw your post. How bizarre. Anyway, the closest thing I
have found to a "pocket computer phone" is the android line of phones. I've
had an original Droid, and now I have a Droid Incredible, and I absolutely
love them. They have multitasking, ssh (ConnectBot), email, full web
browsers, and my favorite feature: the ability to connect to a bluetooth
keyboard. Sometimes I forget I'm using a phone at all. I don't see many
comparable "open" phones coming any time soon, so in the meantime, this is
the best I've found out there. Good luck on your phone search.
On Nov 17, 2010 3:02 AM, "Jan Stary" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My twelve years old cell phone needs to get replaced,
> most probably with one of these newer smartphones.
>
> Beside other things, I want it to be as "open" as possible:
> a freely-available OS, a class-compliant USB storage, a documented
> wifi hardware, etc. So, in this regard: has someone managed
> to install obsd on some of these newer phones?
>
> I understand that most of these have an OS that is basically
> a modified linux; does anyone know about a varinat that would
> have an OS based on BSD?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jan

12