An OpenBSD smartphone

Jan Stary
My twelve years old cell phone needs to get replaced,
most probably with one of these newer smartphones.

Beside other things, I want it to be as "open" as possible:
a freely-available OS, a class-compliant USB storage, a documented
wifi hardware, etc. So, in this regard: has someone managed
to install obsd on some of these newer phones?

I understand that most of these have an OS that is basically
a modified linux; does anyone know about a varinat that would
have an OS based on BSD?

        Thanks

                Jan

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

Rancor-3
Use duct tape and wire it with a netbook with internal GSM module around
your head and install vanilla OpenBSD... works perfectly

Don't use that new thing called 3g, umts,cdma or anything else. It's alien
technology

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

Sergey Bronnikov
may be http://openmoko.kd85.com/ ?

sergeyb@

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

Ted Unangst-2
Compared to the hardware available today, the openmoko is ridiculously
obsolete.

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 3:49 AM, Sergey Bronnikov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> may be http://openmoko.kd85.com/ ?
>
> On 09:00 Wed 17 Nov , Jan Stary wrote:
>> My twelve years old cell phone needs to get replaced,
>> most probably with one of these newer smartphones.
>>
>> Beside other things, I want it to be as "open" as possible:
>> a freely-available OS, a class-compliant USB storage, a documented
>> wifi hardware, etc. So, in this regard: has someone managed
>> to install obsd on some of these newer phones?
>>
>> I understand that most of these have an OS that is basically
>> a modified linux; does anyone know about a varinat that would
>> have an OS based on BSD?
>>
>>       Thanks
>>
>>               Jan

> sergeyb@

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

Francesco Vollero
Il 17/11/10 15.17, Ted Unangst ha scritto:
> Compared to the hardware available today, the openmoko is ridiculously
> obsolete.
I Agree. It's really really obsolete.

> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 3:49 AM, Sergey Bronnikov<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> may be http://openmoko.kd85.com/ ?
>>
>> On 09:00 Wed 17 Nov , Jan Stary wrote:
>>> My twelve years old cell phone needs to get replaced,
>>> most probably with one of these newer smartphones.
>>>
>>> Beside other things, I want it to be as "open" as possible:
>>> a freely-available OS, a class-compliant USB storage, a documented
>>> wifi hardware, etc. So, in this regard: has someone managed
>>> to install obsd on some of these newer phones?
>>>
>>> I understand that most of these have an OS that is basically
>>> a modified linux; does anyone know about a varinat that would
>>> have an OS based on BSD?
>>>
>>>        Thanks
>>>
>>>                Jan

>> sergeyb@

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

patric conant
Yes, and we won't be supporting any obsolete platforms around here.

On Nov 17, 2010 8:34 AM, "Francesco Vollero" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Il 17/11/10 15.17, Ted Unangst ha scritto:

> Compared to the hardware available today, the openmoko is ridiculously
> obsolete.
I Agree. It's really really obsolete.

> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 3:49 AM, Sergey Bronnikov<[hidden email]>
>>
>> may be http:...

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

Tomas Vavrys
The best options is Android at the moment. It's working fine and I
have to say I like it a lot. But it is definitely not open as
possible.

2010/11/17 patric conant <[hidden email]>:

> Yes, and we won't be supporting any obsolete platforms around here.
>
> On Nov 17, 2010 8:34 AM, "Francesco Vollero" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Il 17/11/10 15.17, Ted Unangst ha scritto:
>

>> Compared to the hardware available today, the openmoko is ridiculously
>> obsolete.
> I Agree. It's really really obsolete.
>

>> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 3:49 AM, Sergey Bronnikov<[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> may be http:...

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

Christian Weisgerber
Jan Stary <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My twelve years old cell phone needs to get replaced,
> most probably with one of these newer smartphones.
>
> Beside other things, I want it to be as "open" as possible:
> a freely-available OS, a class-compliant USB storage, a documented

The most open smartphone I'm aware of is the Nokia N900.

> wifi hardware, etc. So, in this regard: has someone managed
> to install obsd on some of these newer phones?

No.  Also, compare the user interface and applications useful on a
phone with what's available for OpenBSD.

> I understand that most of these have an OS that is basically
> a modified linux;

Android and Maemo are Linux-based.  Symbian, iOS, Bada, Blackberry
and Windows Mobile are not.

> does anyone know about a varinat that would have an OS based on BSD?

Apple's iOS is the most BSD-ish.  But that is utterly closed, and
the iPhone is dongled to the proprietary iTunes program (Mac OS,
MS Windows).

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

Martin Schröder
2010/11/17 Ted Unangst <[hidden email]>:
> Compared to the hardware available today, the openmoko is ridiculously
> obsolete.

And the supplier in question is known to hate Theo and OpenBSD.

Best
    Martin

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

Jona Joachim-6
On 2010-11-17, Ted Unangst <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Compared to the hardware available today, the openmoko is ridiculously
> obsolete.

On top of that graphics and wifi documentation is only available under
NDA and the reverse engineered Linux drivers are broken.
The hardware is slow and buggy and the OpenBSD Moko port is dead.
Just don't buy it ;)

Best regards,
Jona

--
Worse is better
    Richard P. Gabriel

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

Jona Joachim-6
On 2010-11-17, Martin Schr?der <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2010/11/17 Ted Unangst <[hidden email]>:
>> Compared to the hardware available today, the openmoko is ridiculously
>> obsolete.
>
> And the supplier in question is known to hate Theo and OpenBSD.

Obvious troll is obvious.

--
Worse is better
    Richard P. Gabriel

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

Paul M-7
On 18/11/2010, at 10:15 AM, Martin Schrvder wrote:

> 2010/11/17 Ted Unangst <[hidden email]>:
>> Compared to the hardware available today, the openmoko is ridiculously
>> obsolete.
>
> And the supplier in question is known to hate Theo and OpenBSD.
>
> Best
>     Martin

  ... And is a fraudster and a criminal

paulm

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

Marko Kraljevic
On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 2:00 AM, Jan Stary <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My twelve years old cell phone needs to get replaced,
> most probably with one of these newer smartphones.
>
> Beside other things, I want it to be as "open" as possible:
> a freely-available OS, a class-compliant USB storage, a documented
> wifi hardware, etc. So, in this regard: has someone managed
> to install obsd on some of these newer phones?
>
> I understand that most of these have an OS that is basically
> a modified linux; does anyone know about a varinat that would
> have an OS based on BSD?
>
>        Thanks
>
>                Jan

The most open phone I'm aware of is Nokia N900. It runs Maemo, and can
run full blown Debian, AFAIK. Never heard of anyone running OpenBSD on
one, but perhaps it is possible? I'm assuming it would take some
hacking, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N900

I'd like to play with one at some point, but I'm a little too broke
for that at the moment.

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

Martin Schröder
2010/11/17 Jona Joachim <[hidden email]>:
> On 2010-11-17, Martin Schr?der <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> And the supplier in question is known to hate Theo and OpenBSD.
>
> Obvious troll is obvious.

Ask Theo about Mr. Vandeputte. :-)

Oh, and if you believe http://accounting.kd85.com/ , read the list
archives.

Best
   Martin

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

roberth-5
On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 16:51:00 -0600
Marko Kraljevic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 2:00 AM, Jan Stary <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > My twelve years old cell phone needs to get replaced,
> > most probably with one of these newer smartphones.
> >
> > Beside other things, I want it to be as "open" as possible:
> > a freely-available OS, a class-compliant USB storage, a documented
> > wifi hardware, etc. So, in this regard: has someone managed
> > to install obsd on some of these newer phones?
> >
> > I understand that most of these have an OS that is basically
> > a modified linux; does anyone know about a varinat that would
> > have an OS based on BSD?
> >
> >        Thanks
> >
> >                Jan
> >

> The most open phone I'm aware of is Nokia N900. It runs Maemo, and can
> run full blown Debian, AFAIK. Never heard of anyone running OpenBSD on
> one, but perhaps it is possible? I'm assuming it would take some
> hacking, though.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N900
>
> I'd like to play with one at some point, but I'm a little too broke
> for that at the moment.

So offtopic, but i'll bite.
Yes, N900 is the only phone i'd consider atm.
If i'd have to buy a linux phone (no alternative) it'd be a N900 and put
Meego on it.
Android is just too restrictive.
The HTC 7 Pro hw looks nice, but without any docu or source ...
Me personally will stick with my 6820 until i can test the first real
Meego querty slider.
(Now if there were 15k+ ppl preordering a phone with openbsd+pf there
might be a chance to get something "good".)

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

m brandenberg
On Wed, 17 Nov 2010, Jona Joachim wrote:

> The hardware is slow and buggy and the OpenBSD Moko port is dead.
> Just don't buy it ;)

That said, I have a Neo 1973 available for a deal if anyone wants
to play...

Monty Brandenberg

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

Francesco Vollero
Il 18/11/10 00.53, m brandenberg ha scritto:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010, Jona Joachim wrote:
>
>> The hardware is slow and buggy and the OpenBSD Moko port is dead.
>> Just don't buy it ;)
>
> That said, I have a Neo 1973 available for a deal if anyone wants
> to play...

Dont even try to donate to the community!!!! :)

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

Francesco Vollero
Il 17/11/10 23.51, Marko Kraljevic ha scritto:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 2:00 AM, Jan Stary<[hidden email]>  wrote:

[snap]
> The most open phone I'm aware of is Nokia N900. It runs Maemo, and can
> run full blown Debian, AFAIK. Never heard of anyone running OpenBSD on
> one, but perhaps it is possible? I'm assuming it would take some
> hacking, though.

As far i know, there's just one phone with something like bsd, it's
iphone. Yeah, sucks.

At the end, if someone run netbsd on a toaster with ARM9 this mean that
openbsd can be ported too, but the main problem is:
Who give all the specifies for the components? We dont want to agree to
some strange NDA just to have a {open|net|whatelse}bsd phone.
Another question is: The developer community it's enough big to support
it too??

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

Marco Peereboom
It is ok if you don't mind goolge and the us gov to read your email,
credit card numbers, etc etc.

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 04:43:46PM +0100, Tomas Vavrys wrote:

> The best options is Android at the moment. It's working fine and I
> have to say I like it a lot. But it is definitely not open as
> possible.
>
> 2010/11/17 patric conant <[hidden email]>:
> > Yes, and we won't be supporting any obsolete platforms around here.
> >
> > On Nov 17, 2010 8:34 AM, "Francesco Vollero" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Il 17/11/10 15.17, Ted Unangst ha scritto:
> >

> >> Compared to the hardware available today, the openmoko is ridiculously
> >> obsolete.
> > I Agree. It's really really obsolete.

Re: An OpenBSD smartphone

Super Biscuit
  You're looking at this from a programmer's perspective and not from a
business one.
let's look at the basic Unix-like/descended systems: All were developed
because each founder- or founders- saw a niche, necessity, or challenge.
Nokia, Google, and Apple are business entities whose purpose is to create
revenue by selling products or services.

You're going to wait until 15,000 or more people demand/ask for pf on a smart
phone? Neither the mainframe nor the desktop nor the cell phone were created
because the public wanted them.

Look at advertising and how it works.
1) Create a need for a product by using two or more of the appeals. Culture,
society, ethnicity, family, etc.
2) PR is important.

If you're a programmer and you want the product out:
1) I'm not sure how ARM is but I do know that the company designs chips.
2) You'll have to build the system and take gtk and qt sources to build on
it.

What won't sell to the public is the conversations on the mailing lists or
between programmers.

What will sell are key points such as:

1) It is two to four times faster than other smartphones and uses half of the
memory.
People like it when extra shit runs smooth on their tablets and phones.
2) It can be used as a router for other devices and still work as a phone.
"What? I can make a call, browse the web, and still hook up my netbook?"
3) The system is stable. Your personal information remains as such.
4) And for the hackers... You can do what you want with it.

The programmers are for support, development, and design.

Yes, I am a business major. I have experience in selling futures. I am
certified in management.

You can see this as a business opportunity and a challenge or you can continue
as before.
Those of you who do have a working understanding of the basic business model
will have no trouble following this post.

12