Alpine-virt vmd guest tsc directive

Martin Got
Hi list,

I'm using Alpine-virt linux (headless linux with 40Mb initial *.iso size) which has tsc issues. Alpine uses syslinux lightweight boot loader by default. In order to enable tsc I've added tsc=reliable tsc=noirqtime to /etc/update-extlinux.conf before console=ttyS0,115200 and updated it accordingly.

It seems no changes in tsc usage prior to /dev/rtc0 as boot log shows:
* Setting system clock using the hardware clock [UTC] ...hwclock: select() to /dev/rtc0 to wait for clock tick timed out
* Failed to set the system clock

Does somebody know some way how set tsc as default clock source in Alpine 5.4.43-1-virt guest?

Martin

Re: Alpine-virt vmd guest tsc directive

suky57
Hi George,

did you solved the issue? I remember that I faces similar thing when I installed headless ubuntu as a guest … My issue was related to the fact that I used ‚boot cdrom‘ directive inside my configuration (seems that there is a bit inconsistency between the man page and the real configuration).

This is is a relevant piece of my config:
vm "ubuntu" {
        memory 2G
        cdrom /data/vms/_iso/mini-serial.iso
        disk /data/vms/ubuntu.raw
        interface tap { switch "uplink" }
        disable
}

I had bad experience with usage of qcow2 disk format for Linux based guests — especially when you’re trying to do dozens of I/O operations — several disk containers crashed before I migrated them to raw format.

if you have more than 4 vms, don’t forget to create another /dev/tap<X> device, otherwise you could expect the unexpectable behaviour :)

>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I apologize if this maybe out of topic even though it is truly related
>> to VMM than Debian.
>>
>> I am trying to setup a VMM Debian based guest but I'm not able to get it
>> to work. I found some description on the web about which settings to
>> edit in grub.cfg to enable the serial console and created a VM with 10.3
>> in qcow2 disk format in KVM. Now I am trying to start the same on
>> OpenBSD 6.7 but keep getting the connected message and then just
>> "Rebooting " after I hit some keyboard keys seems like baud rate issue
>> but not sure.
>>
>> After messing with it for a while now I am getting a new error:
>>
>> vmctl: could not open disk image(s)
>>
>> even thought the disk is there and readable to the user I have setup in
>> vm.conf in fact I have another VM with the same configuration and disk
>> with the same permissions and in the same location that works (it is
>> OpenBSD based).
>>
>> I would greatly appreciate it if someone has gone this path and can
>> share some config info with me.
>>
>> Cheers and thanks in advance,
>>
>> George

Re: Alpine-virt vmd guest tsc directive

Dave Voutila-2
On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 7:23 AM Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I'm using Alpine-virt linux (headless linux with 40Mb initial *.iso size) which has tsc issues. Alpine uses syslinux lightweight boot loader by default. In order to enable tsc I've added tsc=reliable tsc=noirqtime to /etc/update-extlinux.conf before console=ttyS0,115200 and updated it accordingly.

You don't mention which Alpine and kernel version you're using. Also,
you don't mention which OpenBSD version...-current or 6.7? Some major
fixes just went into -current and look like they were in last night's
amd64 snapshots.

> It seems no changes in tsc usage prior to /dev/rtc0 as boot log shows:
> * Setting system clock using the hardware clock [UTC] ...hwclock: select() to /dev/rtc0 to wait for clock tick timed out
> * Failed to set the system clock

/dev/rtc0 has nothing to do with the tsc or clocksource. This looks
like a separate issue and your guest isn't properly using the emulated
mc146818 device. I'm guessing there are bigger issues here.

> Does somebody know some way how set tsc as default clock source in Alpine 5.4.43-1-virt guest?

Add the linux boot arg: clocksource=tsc

But in all honesty, if you want better Linux guest stability, you'll
need to use a -current snapshot.

Regarding your comment about disks in your other email...what you saw
with qcow2 vs raw probably has nothing to do with the emulated disks
and everything to do with the stability improvements now in -current.

-Dave

Re: Alpine-virt vmd guest tsc directive

Martin Got
Hi Dave,

Alpine kernel 5.4.43-1-virt guest openbsd 6.7 stable host. Try to compile vmd from -current to improve linux guests stability.

set clocksource=tsc in /etc/update-extlinux.conf
run update-extlinux to install boot loader.

Next boot getting this in dmesg:

[Frimware Bug]: TSC doesn't count with P0 frequency!
tsc: Fast TSC calibration failed
tsc: Unable to calibrate against PIT
tsc: No referece (HPET/PMTIMER) available
tsc: Marking TSC unstable due to could not calculate TSC khz

Dave, I've never asked about qcow2 or raw disks in any of my previous email.

Martin

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 10:57 AM Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Alpine kernel 5.4.43-1-virt guest openbsd 6.7 stable host. Try to compile vmd from -current to improve linux guests stability.

Are you also running a -current kernel? vmm(4) is in the OpenBSD
kernel...vmd(8) is in base.

> set clocksource=tsc in /etc/update-extlinux.conf
> run update-extlinux to install boot loader.
>
> Next boot getting this in dmesg:

> [Frimware Bug]: TSC doesn't count with P0 frequency!
> tsc: Fast TSC calibration failed
> tsc: Unable to calibrate against PIT
> tsc: No referece (HPET/PMTIMER) available
> tsc: Marking TSC unstable due to could not calculate TSC khz

Honestly, chasing Linux tsc issues will waste your time. If you're
using a -current snapshot, build https://github.com/voutilad/vmm_clock
and load it as a Linux kernel module and give up chasing tsc
calibration issues for now unless you want to get intimately familiar
with the Linux kernel.

> Dave, I've never asked about qcow2 or raw disks in any of my previous email.

Apologies...saw another Martin ([hidden email]) reply to the same
subject and thought you were the same Martin :-)

-Dave

Re: Alpine-virt vmd guest tsc directive

George-2

On 2020-06-29 8:51 a.m., Martin Sukany wrote:

> Hi George,
>
> did you solved the issue? I remember that I faces similar thing when I installed headless ubuntu as a guest … My issue was related to the fact that I used ‚boot cdrom‘ directive inside my configuration (seems that there is a bit inconsistency between the man page and the real configuration).
>
> This is is a relevant piece of my config:
> vm "ubuntu" {
>          memory 2G
>          cdrom /data/vms/_iso/mini-serial.iso
>          disk /data/vms/ubuntu.raw
>          interface tap { switch "uplink" }
>          disable
> }
>

> I had bad experience with usage of qcow2 disk format for Linux based guests — especially when you’re trying to do dozens of I/O operations — several disk containers crashed before I migrated them to raw format.
>
> if you have more than 4 vms, don’t forget to create another /dev/tap<X> device, otherwise you could expect the unexpectable behaviour :)

Hello Martin,

Thanks for the pointers. I abandoned my Linux efforts, too many issue
and things to learn no time now. My goals could be satisfied by an
OpenBSD VM and it is much better than most Linuxes ;). I have been
swimming against the current (read using things/software/apis/os/tools
etc. when people said it is not what is supposed to be done) but as of
late I find it more relaxing going with it ;).

Virtualization is such a ... mess which like everything else in our
lives nowadays is designed to cover another mess ... I want to run Linux
software on OpenBSD because I don't want to dedicate a machine to Linux
and want to upgrade or run the version I want until I want ... I should
be free to make that choice because of "I", sarcastic here, problem is
CPU vendors and OS developers have to jump some hoops and add some
features to make it happen ... and then things happen that the I does
not like.

Thanks for adding this info albeit to the wrong thread, I read it
because I like Alpine and was thinking of it myself, but they don't have
a ready console install version do they?

Cheers,

George

>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> I apologize if this maybe out of topic even though it is truly related
>>> to VMM than Debian.
>>>
>>> I am trying to setup a VMM Debian based guest but I'm not able to get it
>>> to work. I found some description on the web about which settings to
>>> edit in grub.cfg to enable the serial console and created a VM with 10.3
>>> in qcow2 disk format in KVM. Now I am trying to start the same on
>>> OpenBSD 6.7 but keep getting the connected message and then just
>>> "Rebooting " after I hit some keyboard keys seems like baud rate issue
>>> but not sure.
>>>
>>> After messing with it for a while now I am getting a new error:
>>>
>>> vmctl: could not open disk image(s)
>>>
>>> even thought the disk is there and readable to the user I have setup in
>>> vm.conf in fact I have another VM with the same configuration and disk
>>> with the same permissions and in the same location that works (it is
>>> OpenBSD based).
>>>
>>> I would greatly appreciate it if someone has gone this path and can
>>> share some config info with me.
>>>
>>> Cheers and thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> George

Re: Alpine-virt vmd guest tsc directive

Martin Got
George, thanks for your feedback!

I'd prefer OpenBSD in 99% of situations, but now I need to roll out Docker. Docker = linux. So I have to solve all the major issues, especially with clock, and run it for a project using OpenBSD host of course.

I set vmd Debian desktop guest a year ago with 5.2.x kernel which boots headless on vmd. Virtual framebuffer used for VNC connection from the same OpenBSD host by vnc viewer. Works perfectly, except clock...

Currently, rebuilt kernel and vmd from -current. Going to make 5.4.x related vmm_clock module for minimalist Alpine-virt Linux guest. I'll report about results once done.

Martin

On Monday, June 29, 2020 4:21 PM, George <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2020-06-29 8:51 a.m., Martin Sukany wrote:
>
> > Hi George,
> > did you solved the issue? I remember that I faces similar thing when I installed headless ubuntu as a guest … My issue was related to the fact that I used ‚boot cdrom‘ directive inside my configuration (seems that there is a bit inconsistency between the man page and the real configuration).
> > This is is a relevant piece of my config:
> > vm "ubuntu" {
> > memory 2G
> > cdrom /data/vms/_iso/mini-serial.iso
> > disk /data/vms/ubuntu.raw
> > interface tap { switch "uplink" }
> > disable
> > }
> > I had bad experience with usage of qcow2 disk format for Linux based guests — especially when you’re trying to do dozens of I/O operations — several disk containers crashed before I migrated them to raw format.
> > if you have more than 4 vms, don’t forget to create another /dev/tap<X> device, otherwise you could expect the unexpectable behaviour :)
> > M>
>
> Hello Martin,
>
> Thanks for the pointers. I abandoned my Linux efforts, too many issue
> and things to learn no time now. My goals could be satisfied by an
> OpenBSD VM and it is much better than most Linuxes ;). I have been
> swimming against the current (read using things/software/apis/os/tools
> etc. when people said it is not what is supposed to be done) but as of
> late I find it more relaxing going with it ;).
>
> Virtualization is such a ... mess which like everything else in our
> lives nowadays is designed to cover another mess ... I want to run Linux
> software on OpenBSD because I don't want to dedicate a machine to Linux
> and want to upgrade or run the version I want until I want ... I should
> be free to make that choice because of "I", sarcastic here, problem is
> CPU vendors and OS developers have to jump some hoops and add some
> features to make it happen ... and then things happen that the I does
> not like.
>
> Thanks for adding this info albeit to the wrong thread, I read it
> because I like Alpine and was thinking of it myself, but they don't have
> a ready console install version do they?
>
> Cheers,
>
> George

Re: Alpine-virt vmd guest tsc directive

Martin Got
Alpine has minimalist console ready install on ~40Mb *.iso initially if you chose -virt release. Can be installed out of the box for headless environment. With some additional env. binaries and configs + docker it grow up to 780Mb in *.qcow2 image. I suppose it will be a bit higher after additional kernel module build...

Martin

On 2020-06-29 12:54 p.m., Martin wrote:
> George, thanks for your feedback!
>
> I'd prefer OpenBSD in 99% of situations, but now I need to roll out Docker. Docker = linux. So I have to solve all the major issues, especially with clock, and run it for a project using OpenBSD host of course.

Work is an imposed 'choice' ;) and yes that is where virtualization
shines a little light in the tunnel.

> I set vmd Debian desktop guest a year ago with 5.2.x kernel which boots headless on vmd. Virtual framebuffer used for VNC connection from the same OpenBSD host by vnc viewer. Works perfectly, except clock...

I would be interested in any instructions you might have on setting that up.

> Currently, rebuilt kernel and vmd from -current. Going to make 5.4.x related vmm_clock module for minimalist Alpine-virt Linux guest. I'll report about results once done.

That would be great.

Thanks.

> Martin

Dave,

After build kernel+vmd+vmctl sources from -current I have an issue with installing a system from *.iso images.
The command below works fine before update, but not now

$ doas vmctl start -m 1G -c -n vmlan -b /home/iso/install67.iso -d /home/vmm/guest.qcow2 guest

Martin

On Monday, June 29, 2020 3:14 PM, Dave Voutila <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 10:57 AM Martin [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > Hi Dave,
> > Alpine kernel 5.4.43-1-virt guest openbsd 6.7 stable host. Try to compile vmd from -current to improve linux guests stability.
>
> Are you also running a -current kernel? vmm(4) is in the OpenBSD
> kernel...vmd(8) is in base.
>
> > set clocksource=tsc in /etc/update-extlinux.conf
> > run update-extlinux to install boot loader.
> > Next boot getting this in dmesg:
> > [Frimware Bug]: TSC doesn't count with P0 frequency!
> > tsc: Fast TSC calibration failed
> > tsc: Unable to calibrate against PIT
> > tsc: No referece (HPET/PMTIMER) available
> > tsc: Marking TSC unstable due to could not calculate TSC khz
>
> Honestly, chasing Linux tsc issues will waste your time. If you're
> using a -current snapshot, build https://github.com/voutilad/vmm_clock
> and load it as a Linux kernel module and give up chasing tsc
> calibration issues for now unless you want to get intimately familiar
> with the Linux kernel.
>
> > Dave, I've never asked about qcow2 or raw disks in any of my previous email.
>
> Apologies...saw another Martin ([hidden email]) reply to the same
> subject and thought you were the same Martin :-)
>
> -Dave

Re: Alpine-virt vmd guest tsc directive

suky57
There is quite nice article how to prepare own headless ISO — for Debian it’s quite the same …
https://giocher.com/words/2018/ubuntu-on-openbsd-vmm/

S pozdravem / Kind regards

Martin Sukaný
UNIX Engineer, Developer, DevOps specialist
xmpp: [hidden email]
phone: +420 776 275 713
email: [hidden email]
l: https://www.linkedin.com/in/martins6

> 29. 6. 2020 v 21:53, George <[hidden email]>:
>

> On 2020-06-29 12:54 p.m., Martin wrote:
>> George, thanks for your feedback!
>>
>> I'd prefer OpenBSD in 99% of situations, but now I need to roll out Docker. Docker = linux. So I have to solve all the major issues, especially with clock, and run it for a project using OpenBSD host of course.
>

> Work is an imposed 'choice' ;) and yes that is where virtualization shines a little light in the tunnel.
>

>> I set vmd Debian desktop guest a year ago with 5.2.x kernel which boots headless on vmd. Virtual framebuffer used for VNC connection from the same OpenBSD host by vnc viewer. Works perfectly, except clock...
>

> I would be interested in any instructions you might have on setting that up.
>

>> Currently, rebuilt kernel and vmd from -current. Going to make 5.4.x related vmm_clock module for minimalist Alpine-virt Linux guest. I'll report about results once done.
>

> That would be great.
>
> Thanks.
>

>> Martin

Setting up Debian as vmm guest is not a trivial procedure and require Debian Linux host with KVM installed first to install your guest with screen connected.

Once you have your host ready with KVM run a command to set iso up:

qemu-img create -f qcow2 linux.qcow2 128G

kvm -enable-kvm -vnc 127.0.0.1:0 -k en-us -monitor pty -m 2048 -net nic -net user -soundhw all -cdrom debian-linux.iso -boot -d -name linux -hda linux.qcow2

Install it and run the machine with VNC connection

kvm -enable-kvm -vnc 127.0.0.1:0 -k en-us -nographic -monitor pty -m 2048 -net nic -net user -soundhw all -boot -d -name linux -hda linux.qcow

Onece you do it please mail me back, I'll share next steps somewhere.

Martin

I don't believe that syntax was ever correct for vmctl(8). Check your use of -b.

Re: Alpine-virt vmd guest tsc directive

Martin Got
According to man vmctl for both: -current and 6.7 -b should be used for base images. -b works just before kernel+vmm+vmctl -current update.

Please check https://man.openbsd.org/vmctl.8

Can it be a bug?

Martin

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 4:46 PM Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> According to man vmctl for both: -current and 6.7 -b should be used for base images. -b works just before kernel+vmm+vmctl -current update.

Re-read it. You're mixing the `vmctl start` and `vmctl create`
commands. They reuse options but the -b options have nothing to do
with each other and even with `vmctl start` it's a flag for a kernel
or custom bios...not an iso.

> Please check https://man.openbsd.org/vmctl.8
>
> Can it be a bug?
No.

-Dave

Re: Alpine-virt vmd guest tsc directive

Martin Got
Thanks, found mistake. Works like a charm!

On Monday, June 29, 2020 8:51 PM, Dave Voutila <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 4:46 PM Martin [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > According to man vmctl for both: -current and 6.7 -b should be used for base images. -b works just before kernel+vmm+vmctl -current update.
>
> Re-read it. You're mixing the`vmctl start` and `vmctl create`
> commands. They reuse options but the -b options have nothing to do
> with each other and even with `vmctl start` it's a flag for a kernel
> or custom bios...not an iso.
>
> > Please check https://man.openbsd.org/vmctl.8
> > Can it be a bug?
>
> No.
>
> -Dave

Re: Alpine-virt vmd guest tsc directive

Mike Larkin-2
On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 08:25:19PM +0000, Martin wrote:
> Setting up Debian as vmm guest is not a trivial procedure and require Debian Linux host with KVM installed first to install your guest with screen connected.

Why do you believe this? Setting up debian in vmm is not any harder than setting
up any other distribution. You just need to make sure to use their install iso
that includes virtio. I think I used the minimal install iso (can't recall the
name, might have even been the netinst one).

> Once you have your host ready with KVM run a command to set iso up:
>
> qemu-img create -f qcow2 linux.qcow2 128G
>
> kvm -enable-kvm -vnc 127.0.0.1:0 -k en-us -monitor pty -m 2048 -net nic -net user -soundhw all -cdrom debian-linux.iso -boot -d -name linux -hda linux.qcow2
>
> Install it and run the machine with VNC connection
>
> kvm -enable-kvm -vnc 127.0.0.1:0 -k en-us -nographic -monitor pty -m 2048 -net nic -net user -soundhw all -boot -d -name linux -hda linux.qcow

You don't need to do any of this.

-ml

> Onece you do it please mail me back, I'll share next steps somewhere.
>
> Martin

Alpine 3.12 works excellent with your kernel drivers. Absolutely amazing!

I've just built all of them and solve ton of time without experimenting with tsc kernel options.

virtio_vmmci
virtio_pci_obsd
vmm_clock

I followed all of your recommendations except adding tsc options to /etc/update-extlinux.conf
    tsc=reliable
    tsc=noirqtime

From first view clock works excellent without any tsc kernel options.
'vmcl stop linux' command shut it down gracefully!

Thanks for your work. Great job!

Martin

On Monday, June 29, 2020 8:51 PM, Dave Voutila <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 4:46 PM Martin [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > According to man vmctl for both: -current and 6.7 -b should be used for base images. -b works just before kernel+vmm+vmctl -current update.
>
> Re-read it. You're mixing the`vmctl start` and `vmctl create`
> commands. They reuse options but the -b options have nothing to do
> with each other and even with `vmctl start` it's a flag for a kernel
> or custom bios...not an iso.
>
> > Please check https://man.openbsd.org/vmctl.8
> > Can it be a bug?
>
> No.
>
> -Dave

Re: Alpine-virt vmd guest tsc directive

Martin Got
About a year ago I set Debian by difficult way from official distribution without modifying official iso and preconfigured console output.

As Mike wrote, it is significantly better to find iso with virtio driver.

Martin

On Monday, June 29, 2020 9:53 PM, Mike Larkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 08:25:19PM +0000, Martin wrote:
>
> > Setting up Debian as vmm guest is not a trivial procedure and require Debian Linux host with KVM installed first to install your guest with screen connected.
>
> Why do you believe this? Setting up debian in vmm is not any harder than setting
> up any other distribution. You just need to make sure to use their install iso
> that includes virtio. I think I used the minimal install iso (can't recall the
> name, might have even been the netinst one).
>
> > Once you have your host ready with KVM run a command to set iso up:
> > qemu-img create -f qcow2 linux.qcow2 128G
> > kvm -enable-kvm -vnc 127.0.0.1:0 -k en-us -monitor pty -m 2048 -net nic -net user -soundhw all -cdrom debian-linux.iso -boot -d -name linux -hda linux.qcow2
> > Install it and run the machine with VNC connection
> > kvm -enable-kvm -vnc 127.0.0.1:0 -k en-us -nographic -monitor pty -m 2048 -net nic -net user -soundhw all -boot -d -name linux -hda linux.qcow
>
> You don't need to do any of this.
>
> -ml
>
> > Onece you do it please mail me back, I'll share next steps somewhere.
> > Martin

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 14:53:52 -0700
Mike Larkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 08:25:19PM +0000, Martin wrote:
> > Setting up Debian as vmm guest is not a trivial procedure and
> > require Debian Linux host with KVM installed first to install your
> > guest with screen connected.
>
> Why do you believe this? Setting up debian in vmm is not any harder
> than setting up any other distribution. You just need to make sure to
> use their install iso that includes virtio. I think I used the
> minimal install iso (can't recall the name, might have even been the
> netinst one).

I did try netinstall and netboot for Ubuntu all with the same result,
namely the installer starts and I can see the first curses screen and
then I can pick one of the options but no matter which one I do it all
ends up the same freezes or errors out:

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/debian-10.4.0-amd64-netinst.iso

This one led to the same issue:

              |  Debian GNU/Linux installer menu (BIOS mode)  |
              | Graphical install                              |
              | Install                                        |
              | Advanced options                             > |
              | Accessible dark contrast installer menu      > |
              | Help                                           |
              | Install with speech synthesis                  |
              |                                                |
              |                                                |
              |                                                |
              |                                                |
              |                                                |
              |                                                |

               Press ENTER to boot or TAB to edit a menu entry

Undefined video mode number: 314
Press <ENTER> to see video modes available, <SPACE> to continue, or
wait 30 sec Mode: Resolution:  Type:
0 F00   80x25      CGA/MDA/HGC
Enter a video mode or "scan" to scan for additional modes:

and then I cannot type or do anything at all..

I was doing all the setup on OpenBSD 6.7 stable.
Cheers,
George