Airlink 101 Super G USB 2.0 Adapter support

Airlink 101 Super G USB 2.0 Adapter support

NetNeanderthal
After searching through http://openbsd.org/i386.html#hardware and
ath(4), I believe I have a currently (as of the latest snapshot)
unsupported USB 2.0 802.11b/g adapter, the Airlink 101 Super G, based
on the Atheros AR5523.  The manufacturer's web site is located at
http://www.airlink101.com/products/awll4030.html.

I didn't see a specific request for the device on
http://openbsd.org/want.html, but would like to send it to the
appropriate developer to see if device support for this chipset can be
added to OpenBSD.

Re: Airlink 101 Super G USB 2.0 Adapter support

Jonathan Gray
On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 12:00:12AM -0500, NetNeanderthal wrote:

> After searching through http://openbsd.org/i386.html#hardware and
> ath(4), I believe I have a currently (as of the latest snapshot)
> unsupported USB 2.0 802.11b/g adapter, the Airlink 101 Super G, based
> on the Atheros AR5523.  The manufacturer's web site is located at
> http://www.airlink101.com/products/awll4030.html.
>
> I didn't see a specific request for the device on
> http://openbsd.org/want.html, but would like to send it to the
> appropriate developer to see if device support for this chipset can be
> added to OpenBSD.

Not even the Atheros sponsored binary blob based drivers support the
USB based chipsets as they are fundamentally different, (ie require
firmware).  I doubt anyone would want to touch this with a 10 foot pole
unless Atheros were to release documentation on it, which I can't
imagine happening any time soon if at all.

Time is better spent attempting to get documented things working.