Quantcast

Advice on migration to OpenBSD

Kim Blackwood
Hi,� I am in the process of migrating to OpenBSD on personal usage and in
myoffice as well, but I need some advice.� Both at home and in the office
we have several Linux boxes runningSamba. Originally because we had some
Windows machines, but now it'sjust a very convenient and easy way to run
with different shares withdifferent groups and permissions and it's tuned
so it's running veryfast.� We also have a bunch of external drives with
EXT4 and some with XFS.� Normally I run Arch and Debian and I have no
problem with the abovesetup. However, migrating to OpenBSD on my personal
laptop and desktopI suspect will give me some problems mounting both
Samba shares andexternal drives.� We could change the file systems on the
external drives to say EXT2 ifthat's a "good" idea or NTFS if that's
better supported, I don't know.Both read and write access is needed.� The
Samba boxes aren't going to change as to many people use those. Iremember
something about sharity-light in the past, but that was notvery good back
then.� How do you guys do it? Is it even doable running only OpenBSD on
myboxes in such an environment?� Thank you for your time.� Kind regards,� Kim

RESEND: Advice on migration to OpenBSD

Kim Blackwood
Hi,� For some strange reason Yandex keeps messing up messages sent from
it,sorry about that.� My original message:� I am in the process of
[...]
past, but that was notvery good back then.� Update: I tried
sharity-light, but had no success mounting at all. I also tries"usmb",
but once it freezes the entire box once you try to view the contentof a
file.� How do you guys do it? Is it even doable running only OpenBSD on
myboxes in such an environment?� Thank you for your time.� Kind regards,� Kim� --------
End of forwarded message --------

Re: Advice on migration to OpenBSD

Wiremu Demchick
If I was making the transition you are attempting, I would migrate to
FFS.  Then, there would be no trouble regarding read/write ability.
In my experience, FFS is been stable and reliable.  If you are
investing in moving to OpenBSD, that would be my recommendation.

On 5/14/17, Kim Blackwood <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, I am in the process of migrating to OpenBSD on personal usage and in
> myoffice as well, but I need some advice. Both at home and in the office
> we have several Linux boxes runningSamba. Originally because we had some
> Windows machines, but now it'sjust a very convenient and easy way to run
> with different shares withdifferent groups and permissions and it's tuned
> so it's running veryfast. We also have a bunch of external drives with
> EXT4 and some with XFS. Normally I run Arch and Debian and I have no
> problem with the abovesetup. However, migrating to OpenBSD on my personal
> laptop and desktopI suspect will give me some problems mounting both
> Samba shares andexternal drives. We could change the file systems on the
> external drives to say EXT2 ifthat's a "good" idea or NTFS if that's
> better supported, I don't know.Both read and write access is needed. The
> Samba boxes aren't going to change as to many people use those. Iremember
> something about sharity-light in the past, but that was notvery good back
> then. How do you guys do it? Is it even doable running only OpenBSD on
> myboxes in such an environment? Thank you for your time. Kind regards,Â
> Kim

Re: Advice on migration to OpenBSD

Wiremu Demchick
Re-reading your message, I realise I may have misunderstood your
question.  My previous advice would only be a good idea if you were
migrating the Samba servers to OpenBSD as well.  I am now thinking
that that was not what you were suggesting, so please ignore my
previous comment and apologies.

On 5/15/17, Wiremu Demchick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I was making the transition you are attempting, I would migrate to
> FFS.  Then, there would be no trouble regarding read/write ability.
> In my experience, FFS is been stable and reliable.  If you are
> investing in moving to OpenBSD, that would be my recommendation.
>
> On 5/14/17, Kim Blackwood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi, I am in the process of migrating to OpenBSD on personal usage and in
>> myoffice as well, but I need some advice. Both at home and in the office
>> we have several Linux boxes runningSamba. Originally because we had some
>> Windows machines, but now it'sjust a very convenient and easy way to run
>> with different shares withdifferent groups and permissions and it's tuned
>> so it's running veryfast. We also have a bunch of external drives with
>> EXT4 and some with XFS. Normally I run Arch and Debian and I have no
>> problem with the abovesetup. However, migrating to OpenBSD on my personal
>> laptop and desktopI suspect will give me some problems mounting both
>> Samba shares andexternal drives. We could change the file systems on the
>> external drives to say EXT2 ifthat's a "good" idea or NTFS if that's
>> better supported, I don't know.Both read and write access is needed. The
>> Samba boxes aren't going to change as to many people use those. Iremember
>> something about sharity-light in the past, but that was notvery good back
>> then. How do you guys do it? Is it even doable running only OpenBSD on
>> myboxes in such an environment? Thank you for your time. Kind regards,Â
>> Kim

Re: Advice on migration to OpenBSD

Kenneth Gober
On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 9:02 PM, Kim Blackwood
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> problem with the abovesetup. However, migrating to OpenBSD on my personal
> laptop and desktopI suspect will give me some problems mounting both
> Samba shares andexternal drives. We could change the file systems on the
> external drives to say EXT2 ifthat's a "good" idea or NTFS if that's
> better supported, I don't know.Both read and write access is needed. The
> Samba boxes aren't going to change as to many people use those. Iremember
> something about sharity-light in the past, but that was notvery good back
> then. How do you guys do it? Is it even doable running only OpenBSD on
> myboxes in such an environment? Thank you for your time. Kind regards, Kim

What I do in this situation is dual-mount the volumes using both Samba and NFS.
The systems that work better with SMB (e.g. Windows) can then use Samba, while
the system that work better with NFS (OpenBSD) can use that.

Of course for this to work your servers need to be able to support
both NFS and Samba.
I use OpenBSD as a file server and it can do this without any difficulty.

-ken