ASN Flow Exporter for OpenBGP device

Eduardo Meyer
Hello,

I have an OpenBGP device and I need to find out which ASN demands more
bandwidth to do some sort of traffic policy engineering. Therefore I
need to know if there is any software that is able to export netflow
data including SRC/DST AS on an OpenBGP system. I have used pfflow and
softflowd but on the second AS is always '0' and pfflow will depend on
the ability to have pf data per ASN.

I know I can set up some rtlabel or pftable to allow OBGP interaction
with PF. However, I would need to manually set the whole scenario and
the reliability of my information would depend on my observation of
potential ASN to be tracked. Its OK but this way I miss the behavior
deviations, if a certain quiet ASN suddenly raises traffic and later
lowers it back again.

So, how options we have?

Thank you in advance.

--
===========
Eduardo Meyer
profissional: [hidden email]

Re: ASN Flow Exporter for OpenBGP device

Henning Brauer
* Eduardo Meyer <[hidden email]> [2009-12-04 17:29]:

> Hello,
>
> I have an OpenBGP device and I need to find out which ASN demands more
> bandwidth to do some sort of traffic policy engineering. Therefore I
> need to know if there is any software that is able to export netflow
> data including SRC/DST AS on an OpenBGP system. I have used pfflow and
> softflowd but on the second AS is always '0' and pfflow will depend on
> the ability to have pf data per ASN.
>
> I know I can set up some rtlabel or pftable to allow OBGP interaction
> with PF. However, I would need to manually set the whole scenario and
> the reliability of my information would depend on my observation of
> potential ASN to be tracked. Its OK but this way I miss the behavior
> deviations, if a certain quiet ASN suddenly raises traffic and later
> lowers it back again.
>
> So, how options we have?

we'd really like that functionality (with pflow(4), of course) but no
good idea on how to do that yet.

BS Web Services, http://bsws.de
Dedicated Servers, Rootservers, Application Hosting

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Henning Brauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Eduardo Meyer <[hidden email]> [2009-12-04 17:29]:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have an OpenBGP device and I need to find out which ASN demands more
>> bandwidth to do some sort of traffic policy engineering. Therefore I
>> need to know if there is any software that is able to export netflow
>> data including SRC/DST AS on an OpenBGP system. I have used pfflow and
>> softflowd but on the second AS is always '0' and pfflow will depend on
>> the ability to have pf data per ASN.
>>
>> I know I can set up some rtlabel or pftable to allow OBGP interaction
>> with PF. However, I would need to manually set the whole scenario and
>> the reliability of my information would depend on my observation of
>> potential ASN to be tracked. Its OK but this way I miss the behavior
>> deviations, if a certain quiet ASN suddenly raises traffic and later
>> lowers it back again.
>>
>> So, how options we have?
>
> we'd really like that functionality (with pflow(4), of course) but no
> good idea on how to do that yet.

I can see how hard it gets to be, specially to make it lightweight.
One approach would be auto labeling routing entries by AS (basic
support for it already exists) and later, pflow would check for it on
exporting time, or maybe check from openbgp directly. I hope its
possible somehow.

Thank you for your time, we really appreciate.

profissional: [hidden email]

On 2009-12-04, Eduardo Meyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have an OpenBGP device and I need to find out which ASN demands more
> bandwidth to do some sort of traffic policy engineering. Therefore I
> need to know if there is any software that is able to export netflow
> data including SRC/DST AS on an OpenBGP system.

take a look at pmacct, it's in ports/packages. it can collect netflow
data and peer bgp (quagga-based code) to add ASN information, but as
far as I know the bgp code hasn't been tested on OpenBSD yet.