APCu/Memcached/Redis - OwnCloud/Nextcloud memory caching - which OpenBSD package?

APCu/Memcached/Redis - OwnCloud/Nextcloud memory caching - which OpenBSD package?

Steve Williams-16
Hi,

I'm trying to improve the performance of my freshly installed Nextcloud
site.  I'm running on my local 1G network and the performance is less
than optimal.

I've done all the SQL tuning, but from looking at the SQL log files, the
SQL isn't the slow part.

I haven't configured a memory cache yet and am a bit confused about
which OpenBSD packages correspond to the recommendations documented in:
https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/11/admin_manual/configuration_server/caching_configuration.html

    APCu <https://pecl.php.net/package/APCu>, APCu 4.0.6 and up required.
    Memcached <http://www.memcached.org/>
    Redis <http://redis.io/>, PHP module 2.2.6 and up required.

The only "APCu" packages are the UPS ones, not quite what I'm looking for :)
There is no php package for Memcached (php-memcached).  There is Perl,
Python & Python3.
There is a php-predis package at 1.1.1 level, and a
pecl-redis-2.2.7p0.tgz package, but is pecl for php?  I'm rather new to
all the php modules stuff...

Is anyone running any of these applications?  If so, what is the name of
the OpenBSD package, or did you do a local install?

Thanks,
Steve W.

Re: APCu/Memcached/Redis - OwnCloud/Nextcloud memory caching - which OpenBSD package?

Johan Huldtgren-7
hello,

> I'm trying to improve the performance of my freshly installed Nextcloud
> site.  I'm running on my local 1G network and the performance is less
> than optimal.
>
> I've done all the SQL tuning, but from looking at the SQL log files, the
> SQL isn't the slow part.

make sure your SQL encoding is set to unicode/UTF8, I recently did a fresh
install and the encoding ended up as SQL_ASCII and performance was abysmal.
Switching to UTF-8 and performance was as expected. (this was with postgresql)

> I haven't configured a memory cache yet and am a bit confused about
> which OpenBSD packages correspond to the recommendations documented in:
> https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/11/admin_manual/configuration_server/caching_configuration.html
>
>     APCu <https://pecl.php.net/package/APCu>, APCu 4.0.6 and up required.
>     Memcached <http://www.memcached.org/>
>     Redis <http://redis.io/>, PHP module 2.2.6 and up required.
>
> The only "APCu" packages are the UPS ones, not quite what I'm looking for :)
> There is no php package for Memcached (php-memcached).  There is Perl,
> Python & Python3.
> There is a php-predis package at 1.1.1 level, and a
> pecl-redis-2.2.7p0.tgz package, but is pecl for php?  I'm rather new to
> all the php modules stuff...
>
> Is anyone running any of these applications?  If so, what is the name of
> the OpenBSD package, or did you do a local install?

I've configured my nextcloud installation with redis. The relevant packages
are:

# pkg_info | grep -i redis
pecl-redis-2.2.7p0  PHP interface to redis
redis-3.2.6         persistent key-value database

.jh

Re: APCu/Memcached/Redis - OwnCloud/Nextcloud memory caching - which OpenBSD package?

Uwe Werler
> make sure your SQL encoding is set to unicode/UTF8, I recently did a fresh

install and the encoding ended up as SQL_ASCII and performance was abysmal.

Switching to UTF-8 and performance was as expected. (this was with postgresql)
Mmh, I checked my mysql settings and they are still utf8 - and I have a really
poor performance anyway. At the same machine also tine20 is running quite much
much faster. For caching I use redis (also for tine20) and tried all the
performance tips from owncloud/nextcloud. I use php56 and nginx from ports.
Any other idea?

Re: APCu/Memcached/Redis - OwnCloud/Nextcloud memory caching - which OpenBSD package?

Florian Viehweger
Hey,

> I use php56 and nginx from ports. Any other idea?

try to upgrade to PHP 7. I've experienced a significant performance
improvement, albeit on Arch Linux.

--
greetings,

Florian Viehweger

Re: APCu/Memcached/Redis - OwnCloud/Nextcloud memory caching - which OpenBSD package?

Uwe Werler
27. Februar 2017 17:09, "Florian Viehweger" <[hidden email]>
schrieb:
> Hey,
>
>> I use php56 and nginx from ports. Any other idea?

try to upgrade to PHP 7. I've experienced a significant performance

improvement, albeit on Arch Linux.

> --
> greetings,
>
> Florian Viehweger
Mmh, but there's no redis package for php7 yet.