AMD64 Experience Report: Pundit-AE3

panda-6
Hi.

Just in case anybody's interested in building an amd64 machine for using
with OpenBSD: I wouldn't recommend the asus pundit ae3 barebone.

It is based on what seems to be a KS-8-MV motherboard which has an sis
chip providing SATA, Network and Video.

As of 3.8 (release and latest snapshot) none of the above work:

    * SVGA Chip works in VESA mode for X11. This is only a small problem
as an AGP expansion slot (slow profile form-factor though) is
available.
    * Network interface isn't recognized.
    * SATA controller shows up as pciide alright, but any access to disk
fails.

Strictly from the hardware point of view I initially bought a sempron64
2600+ CPU which was reported as "unsupported" by the motherboard which
prevented the system from booting. Changing the CPU to a 3000+ athlon 64
fixed the problem.

Too bad it wouldn't work since it's a really slim machine with a nice
case, 64bit CPU really fast HDD and ram and costs less than a mac mini.

Re: AMD64 Experience Report: Pundit-AE3

Johan M:son Lindman
On Monday 28 November 2005 10.30, you wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Just in case anybody's interested in building an amd64 machine for using
> with OpenBSD: I wouldn't recommend the asus pundit ae3 barebone.
>
> It is based on what seems to be a KS-8-MV motherboard which has an sis
> chip providing SATA, Network and Video.
>
> As of 3.8 (release and latest snapshot) none of the above work:
>
>     * SVGA Chip works in VESA mode for X11. This is only a small problem
> as an AGP expansion slot (slow profile form-factor though) is
> available.
>     * Network interface isn't recognized.
>     * SATA controller shows up as pciide alright, but any access to disk
> fails.
>
> Strictly from the hardware point of view I initially bought a sempron64
> 2600+ CPU which was reported as "unsupported" by the motherboard which
> prevented the system from booting. Changing the CPU to a 3000+ athlon 64
> fixed the problem.
>
> Too bad it wouldn't work since it's a really slim machine with a nice
> case, 64bit CPU really fast HDD and ram and costs less than a mac mini.

Where's the dmesg?

Regards
Johan M:son