AMD hardware for radeon driver ambiguity

AMD hardware for radeon driver ambiguity

Mihai Popescu-3
Hello,

I want to select some hardware for OpenBSD. I lurked many sites with
hardware specifications and drivers, but I am not sure about some
support for hardware.

What Am I Trying to Achieve?
I want to buy some AMD APU hardware, that means CPU and GPU together.
There is a point in time where AMD changed the GPU architecture from
so called TeraScale/VILW to GCN.
In OpenBSD, TeraScale/VILW parts are supported by radeon driver, next
is supported but not so ready amdgpu one. I really need hardware
acceleration in X.org.

What I Did already?
I checked AMD APU parts for the integrated GPU, and found that some
parts have TeraScale/VILW GPU, some have GCN. The GPU is coded like
7xxxD, 8xxxD, ...
This xxxxD is not listed in radeon man page as supported. There is a
big mess up with chipset names taken from all kind of islands and
vulcans. There is no sense to use them, since it is not easy to track
them. Let's hope there will be no day when AMD will use human body
parts to identify graphic chipsets.

What To Do Next?
So, all this on the table, is it ok just to buy some APU with GPU in
TeraScale*/VILW* architecture?
As an example, there are parts like this (APU / GPU) supported?
A10-5700 / HD7750G
A10-6700 / HD8670D
A8-6500 / HD8670D

Thank you.

HP OfficeJet 5610 Scanner

Joe M
Hello,

I have an HP OfficeJet 5610 All-In-One that worked fine with scanimage on linux.

On Openbsd, sane-find-scanner recognises the device but scanimage
--list-devices cannot find it. Just want to check if anyone has it
working on OpenBSD?

joe:10362$ d sane-find-scanner

  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

could not fetch string descriptor: Input/output error
could not fetch string descriptor: Input/output error
found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [HP], product=0x4f11 [Officejet 5600
series]) at libusb:005:002
found USB scanner (vendor=0x1b1c [Corsair Components, Inc.],
product=0x0c09 [H100i v2]) at libusb:006:003
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by

  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
  # can't be detected by this program.
joe:10370$ d scanimage --list-devices
[bjnp] create_broadcast_socket: ERROR - bind socket to local address
failed - Can't assign requested address
[bjnp] create_broadcast_socket: ERROR - bind socket to local address
failed - Can't assign requested address
[bjnp] create_broadcast_socket: ERROR - bind socket to local address
failed - Can't assign requested address
[bjnp] create_broadcast_socket: ERROR - bind socket to local address
failed - Can't assign requested address
[bjnp] create_broadcast_socket: ERROR - bind socket to local address
failed - Can't assign requested address

Thanks
Joe

Re: HP OfficeJet 5610 Scanner

Joe M
This is from dmesg

ulpt0 at uhub5 port 1 configuration 1 interface 1 "HP Officejet 5600
series" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 2
ulpt0: using bi-directional mode
ugen1 at uhub5 port 1 configuration 1 "HP Officejet 5600 series" rev
2.00/1.00 addr 2

_XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed

Joe M
Hello,

I see these messages in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

joe:10424$ tail Xorg.0.log
[2616181.044] _XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed
[2616181.044] _XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed
[2616181.044] _XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed
[2616181.044] _XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed
[2616181.044] _XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed
[2616181.044] _XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed
[2616181.044] _XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed
[2616181.044] _XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed
[2616181.044] _XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed
[2616181.045] _XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed

joe:10425$ tail /var/log/xenodm.log
_XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed
_XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed
_XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed
_XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed
_XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed
_XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed
_XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed
_XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed
_XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed
_XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed

Any suggestions on how to figure out why this is happening.

Thanks

Re: _XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed

Aaron Mason
What were you trying to do when you got these messages?

--
Aaron Mason - Programmer, open source addict
I've taken my software vows - for beta or for worse

Re: HP OfficeJet 5610 Scanner

patrick keshishian
On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 3:57 PM Joe M <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an HP OfficeJet 5610 All-In-One that worked fine with scanimage on
> linux.
>
> On Openbsd, sane-find-scanner recognises the device but scanimage
> --list-devices cannot find it. Just want to check if anyone has it
> working on OpenBSD?

this may be relevant:
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=149516134609273&w=2

> joe:10362$ d sane-find-scanner
>
>   # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
>   # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
>   # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.
>
>   # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
> that
>   # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
>
> could not fetch string descriptor: Input/output error
> could not fetch string descriptor: Input/output error
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [HP], product=0x4f11 [Officejet 5600
> series]) at libusb:005:002
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x1b1c [Corsair Components, Inc.],
> product=0x0c09 [H100i v2]) at libusb:006:003
>   # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
> supported by
>   # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.
>
>   # Not checking for parallel port scanners.
>
>   # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
>   # can't be detected by this program.
> joe:10370$ d scanimage --list-devices
> [bjnp] create_broadcast_socket: ERROR - bind socket to local address
> failed - Can't assign requested address
> [bjnp] create_broadcast_socket: ERROR - bind socket to local address
> failed - Can't assign requested address
> [bjnp] create_broadcast_socket: ERROR - bind socket to local address
> failed - Can't assign requested address
> [bjnp] create_broadcast_socket: ERROR - bind socket to local address
> failed - Can't assign requested address
> [bjnp] create_broadcast_socket: ERROR - bind socket to local address
> failed - Can't assign requested address
>
> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
>
> Thanks
> Joe

Re: _XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed

Joe M
> What were you trying to do when you got these messages?

This happens when I have a bunch of X apps (with windows) open and I
try open another xterm. It appears that there is some limit to the
number of X windows that can be opened. When I try to open another one
after that limit, I get these messages. I checked 'man login.conf' but
nothing seemed relevant. I am not sure if any sysctl values might be
responsible for this behaviour though.

Thanks

Re: HP OfficeJet 5610 Scanner

Joe M
It works fine after installing hplip.

For the next person trying this, these commands got it working:

doas pkg_add sane-backends hplip dbus
doas rcctl enable messagebus
doas rcctl start messagebus

scanimage should work fine now.

Thanks

Re: HP OfficeJet 5610 Scanner

Donald Cooley
On February 14, 2019 1:21:43 PM CST, Joe M <[hidden email]> wrote:

>It works fine after installing hplip.
>
>For the next person trying this, these commands got it working:
>
>doas pkg_add sane-backends hplip dbus
>doas rcctl enable messagebus
>doas rcctl start messagebus
>
>scanimage should work fine now.
>
>Thanks

I have this exact model. Were you able to get printing to work?

I do not use it for printing anymore. So, never tried printing with it.

On February 17, 2019 4:16:54 PM CST, Joe M <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have this exact model. Were you able to get printing to work?
>
>I do not use it for printing anymore. So, never tried printing with it.

Ok. thanks