ACPI error on boot with laptop

Elijah
Hi

When I try to boot the installer (6.5) on my dell inspiron 3558 laptop,
I get this error:

pci_make_tag: bad request

The operating system has halted.
Please press any key to reboot.

If I say disable acpi at the boot prompt, it does boot.

Re: ACPI error on boot with laptop

Nick Holland
On 4/24/19 11:45 AM, Elijah wrote:
> If I say disable acpi at the boot prompt, it does boot.

Now, I'm not one to criticize someone for being wordy and not saying
much, but... really, that's the only line of even the slightest value in
your report.  And it ain't much.

Disabling acpi is a really big hammer.  You didn't disable ONE thing,
you disabled a snootload of things that hang off ACPI and most of them
are very important in a modern computer.  Most likely, it's not acpi(4)
that caused your halt, it's something that hangs off ACPI.  (man -k acpi)

So...I'd start by reading the bug reporting page on the website.  And
I'd start disabling individual ACPI drivers a few at a time until you
figure out exactly which ONE ACPI device is causing your problem.  Then
report back with that info and a dmesg of the system.

Nick.