Quantcast

A mix: mounting ext3 usb, FF & js, audio

A mix: mounting ext3 usb, FF & js, audio

system_halted
Hi,
I am new to BSD world, yet enjoying very much OpenBSD 6.1 that I have
installed recently. As a newcomer I have some questions, sorry for having a
mix of everything.

1. I have a pendrive with ext3fs

fdisk output on Debian:
Disk /dev/sdc: 29.8 GiB, 32027705344 bytes, 62554112 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0xbb378728

Device     Boot Start      End  Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sdc1        2048 62554111 62552064 29.8G 83 Linux

disklabel:
# /dev/rsd2c:
type: SCSI
disk: Debian testing a
label: md64 1
duid: 0000000000000000
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 32
tracks/cylinder: 64
sectors/cylinder: 2048
cylinders: 30544
total sectors: 62554112
boundstart: 0
boundend: 62554112
drivedata: 0

16 partitions:
#                size           offset  fstype [fsize bsize   cpg]
   a:         62554112                0 ISO9660
   c:         62554112                0 ISO9660

What is that I am missing? To my understanding OpenBSD does handle ext3, is
this some kind of a problem with partition table on the drive? I did put
ISO image of Debian testing on that drive with cp before, but than deleted
all partitions created new and formatted the drive. After mounting sd2a
I can see directory tree of ISO image that originally was on that drive,
content of the files is obviously all messed up. sd2c cannot be mounted
"Device not configured".

2. Firefox
Seem to have problems with certain sites with js - cannot get through to
log in into protonmail.com, Epiphany handles it without any problems. This
is not associated with any addons that I have on FF, tried in on fresh
vanilla FF and result is the same. Did anyone observe similar issue?
Resolving suggestions?

3. Audio
With headphones in there is a slight white noise that can be heard. I do
not have that effect while on Debian. This effect does not go away when
playing sound or reducing volume to 0 (xfce4-mixer). Any suggestions?

Thanks,
ic1

Re: A mix: mounting ext3 usb, FF & js, audio

Stuart Henderson
On 2017-05-19, system_halted <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am new to BSD world, yet enjoying very much OpenBSD 6.1 that I have
> installed recently. As a newcomer I have some questions, sorry for having a
> mix of everything.
>
> 1. I have a pendrive with ext3fs
>
> fdisk output on Debian:
> Disk /dev/sdc: 29.8 GiB, 32027705344 bytes, 62554112 sectors
> Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> Disklabel type: dos
> Disk identifier: 0xbb378728
>
> Device     Boot Start      End  Sectors  Size Id Type
> /dev/sdc1        2048 62554111 62552064 29.8G 83 Linux
>
> disklabel:
> # /dev/rsd2c:
> type: SCSI
> disk: Debian testing a
> label: md64 1
> duid: 0000000000000000
> flags:
> bytes/sector: 512
> sectors/track: 32
> tracks/cylinder: 64
> sectors/cylinder: 2048
> cylinders: 30544
> total sectors: 62554112
> boundstart: 0
> boundend: 62554112
> drivedata: 0
>
> 16 partitions:
> #                size           offset  fstype [fsize bsize   cpg]
>    a:         62554112                0 ISO9660
>    c:         62554112                0 ISO9660
>

> What is that I am missing? To my understanding OpenBSD does handle ext3, is
> this some kind of a problem with partition table on the drive? I did put
> ISO image of Debian testing on that drive with cp before, but than deleted
> all partitions created new and formatted the drive. After mounting sd2a
> I can see directory tree of ISO image that originally was on that drive,
> content of the files is obviously all messed up. sd2c cannot be mounted
> "Device not configured".

It sounds like part of the special hybrid iso+HD image format from the Debian
image remains on the disk. Generally it's best to dd zeros over the start of
a drive before reusing it, especially with a special format like that.

What I would do in this situation is copy the data off, "dd if=/dev/zero
of=/dev/rsdXc bs=1m count=1" (replace X with the correct device number),
repartition and reformat, then copy the data back.

I wouldn't recommend ext2fs, it's not very widely used so you're more likely
to run into a problem. Likewise I wouldn't use FFS support on Linux for the
same reason. FAT32 is a safer choice if you need to share the filesystem.

> 2. Firefox
> Seem to have problems with certain sites with js - cannot get through to
> log in into protonmail.com, Epiphany handles it without any problems. This
> is not associated with any addons that I have on FF, tried in on fresh
> vanilla FF and result is the same. Did anyone observe similar issue?
> Resolving suggestions?

Try raising the datasize limit, either try "ulimit -d $((2048*1024))" before
running firefox, or raise datasize-cur in the 'staff' class in /etc/login.conf
and logout and back in. (adjust the actual value as necessary).

> 3. Audio
> With headphones in there is a slight white noise that can be heard. I do
> not have that effect while on Debian. This effect does not go away when
> playing sound or reducing volume to 0 (xfce4-mixer). Any suggestions?

No idea personally. But reply to the list with output of mixerctl, audioctl
and dmesg (inline, not attached) and see if someone else has an idea.

Re: A mix: mounting ext3 usb, FF & js, audio

Zé Loff-2
On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 05:59:16PM -0700, system_halted wrote:

> Hi,
> I am new to BSD world, yet enjoying very much OpenBSD 6.1 that I have
> installed recently. As a newcomer I have some questions, sorry for having a
> mix of everything.
>
> 1. I have a pendrive with ext3fs
>
> fdisk output on Debian:
> Disk /dev/sdc: 29.8 GiB, 32027705344 bytes, 62554112 sectors
> Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> Disklabel type: dos
> Disk identifier: 0xbb378728
>
> Device     Boot Start      End  Sectors  Size Id Type
> /dev/sdc1        2048 62554111 62552064 29.8G 83 Linux
>
> disklabel:
> # /dev/rsd2c:
> type: SCSI
> disk: Debian testing a
> label: md64 1
> duid: 0000000000000000
> flags:
> bytes/sector: 512
> sectors/track: 32
> tracks/cylinder: 64
> sectors/cylinder: 2048
> cylinders: 30544
> total sectors: 62554112
> boundstart: 0
> boundend: 62554112
> drivedata: 0
>
> 16 partitions:
> #                size           offset  fstype [fsize bsize   cpg]
>   a:         62554112                0 ISO9660
>   c:         62554112                0 ISO9660
>

> What is that I am missing? To my understanding OpenBSD does handle ext3, is
> this some kind of a problem with partition table on the drive? I did put
> ISO image of Debian testing on that drive with cp before, but than deleted
> all partitions created new and formatted the drive. After mounting sd2a
> I can see directory tree of ISO image that originally was on that drive,
> content of the files is obviously all messed up. sd2c cannot be mounted
> "Device not configured".

Adding to Stuart Henderson's reply, note that you can't mount /dev/sd2c.
From disklabel(8):

  disklabel supports 15 configurable partitions, ‘a’ through ‘p’,
  excluding ‘c’.  The ‘c’ partition describes the entire physical disk, is
  automatically created by the kernel, and cannot be modified or deleted
  by disklabel.

OpenBSD's fdisk output might also be helpful.

> 2. Firefox
> Seem to have problems with certain sites with js - cannot get through to
> log in into protonmail.com, Epiphany handles it without any problems. This
> is not associated with any addons that I have on FF, tried in on fresh
> vanilla FF and result is the same. Did anyone observe similar issue?
> Resolving suggestions?
>
> 3. Audio
> With headphones in there is a slight white noise that can be heard. I do
> not have that effect while on Debian. This effect does not go away when
> playing sound or reducing volume to 0 (xfce4-mixer). Any suggestions?

The only cases in which I've seen something more or less similar is on a
MacBook, in which the OS powers off the audio card when it's not being
used, which is very noticeable when on headphones, since they stop
humming.  The background hum you refer is almost certainly hardware related
-- lookup "ground loop" on wikipedia or the like --  so the software is
not (directly) at fault here.  I'm guessing that the APM in Debian is
powering off the audio card, which doesn't happen on OpenBSD, but maybe
someone else more knowledgeable wants to chime in on that.

Cheers

On 05/19/17 03:08, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> On 2017-05-19, system_halted <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am new to BSD world, yet enjoying very much OpenBSD 6.1 that I have
>> installed recently. As a newcomer I have some questions, sorry for having a
>> mix of everything.
>>
>> 1. I have a pendrive with ext3fs
>>
>> fdisk output on Debian:
>> Disk /dev/sdc: 29.8 GiB, 32027705344 bytes, 62554112 sectors
>> Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
>> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
>> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
>> Disklabel type: dos
>> Disk identifier: 0xbb378728
>>
>> Device     Boot Start      End  Sectors  Size Id Type
>> /dev/sdc1        2048 62554111 62552064 29.8G 83 Linux
>>
>> disklabel:
>> # /dev/rsd2c:
>> type: SCSI
>> disk: Debian testing a
>> label: md64 1
>> duid: 0000000000000000
>> flags:
>> bytes/sector: 512
>> sectors/track: 32
>> tracks/cylinder: 64
>> sectors/cylinder: 2048
>> cylinders: 30544
>> total sectors: 62554112
>> boundstart: 0
>> boundend: 62554112
>> drivedata: 0
>>
>> 16 partitions:
>> #                size           offset  fstype [fsize bsize   cpg]
>>    a:         62554112                0 ISO9660
>>    c:         62554112                0 ISO9660
>>

>> What is that I am missing? To my understanding OpenBSD does handle ext3, is
>> this some kind of a problem with partition table on the drive? I did put
>> ISO image of Debian testing on that drive with cp before, but than deleted
>> all partitions created new and formatted the drive. After mounting sd2a
>> I can see directory tree of ISO image that originally was on that drive,
>> content of the files is obviously all messed up. sd2c cannot be mounted
>> "Device not configured".
>
> It sounds like part of the special hybrid iso+HD image format from the Debian
> image remains on the disk. Generally it's best to dd zeros over the start of
> a drive before reusing it, especially with a special format like that.
>
> What I would do in this situation is copy the data off, "dd if=/dev/zero
> of=/dev/rsdXc bs=1m count=1" (replace X with the correct device number),
> repartition and reformat, then copy the data back.
>
> I wouldn't recommend ext2fs, it's not very widely used so you're more likely
> to run into a problem. Likewise I wouldn't use FFS support on Linux for the
> same reason. FAT32 is a safer choice if you need to share the filesystem.

Thank you. Used both of your suggestions and this worked.

>> 2. Firefox
>> Seem to have problems with certain sites with js - cannot get through to
>> log in into protonmail.com, Epiphany handles it without any problems. This
>> is not associated with any addons that I have on FF, tried in on fresh
>> vanilla FF and result is the same. Did anyone observe similar issue?
>> Resolving suggestions?
>
> Try raising the datasize limit, either try "ulimit -d $((2048*1024))" before
> running firefox, or raise datasize-cur in the 'staff' class in /etc/login.conf
> and logout and back in. (adjust the actual value as necessary).

Both datasize-max and datasize-cur already set to higher limits (2048M)
in /etc/login.conf.

I checked FF console, this is what it spits out.

TypeError: asm.js link error: Unable to prepare ArrayBuffer for asm.js
use  openpgp.min.js:2:2189
uncaught exception: out of memory  (unknown)
Successfully compiled asm.js code (total compilation time 75ms; stored
in cache)  app.js
Successfully compiled asm.js code (total compilation time 21ms; stored
in cache)  app.js
TypeError: asm.js link error: Unable to prepare ArrayBuffer for asm.js
use  app.js:65:30730
uncaught exception: out of memory  (unknown)
Error: [$injector:modulerr] Failed to instantiate module proton due to:
[$injector:modulerr] Failed to instantiate module proton.outside due to:
[$injector:modulerr] Failed to instantiate module proton.routes due to:
[$injector:nomod] Module 'proton.routes' is not available! You either
misspelled the module name or forgot to load it. If registering a module
ensure that you specify the dependencies as the second argument.

>> 3. Audio
>> With headphones in there is a slight white noise that can be heard. I do
>> not have that effect while on Debian. This effect does not go away when
>> playing sound or reducing volume to 0 (xfce4-mixer). Any suggestions?
>
> No idea personally. But reply to the list with output of mixerctl, audioctl
> and dmesg (inline, not attached) and see if someone else has an idea.

Thanks to Zé's comments I just went with
mixerctl output.master.mute=on
maybe not the cleanest solution, but worked.

Thank you for all suggestion and guidance.

ic1