80x50 console res but .. clean font

Harry Putnam
Using the example from FAQ about how to get 80x50 console resolution I
find the font I get is pretty blotchy compared to the default.

In default console res, the font is crisp and clear but using the
example:
  wsfontload -h 8 -e ibm /usr/share/misc/pcvtfonts/vt220l.808

It seems blotchy and hard to read.  Also not really small enough
either.

Maybe just the larger size makes it appear cleaner.

So, are there better ways to do this? And can I get 75 lines or some
other higher number in console mode?

Re: 80x50 console res but .. clean font

Han Boetes
Harry Putnam wrote:
> So, are there better ways to do this? And can I get 75 lines or
> some other higher number in console mode?

Allas no. Indeed framebuffer support for i386 would be nice, but
not all i386 machines support it and OpenBSD wants to have an
interface that works on all i386 machines.

The only solutions are using X or logging in from another machine.

# Han

Re: 80x50 console res but .. clean font

Darrin Chandler
Harry Putnam wrote:

>Using the example from FAQ about how to get 80x50 console resolution I
>find the font I get is pretty blotchy compared to the default.
>
>In default console res, the font is crisp and clear but using the
>example:
>  wsfontload -h 8 -e ibm /usr/share/misc/pcvtfonts/vt220l.808
>
>It seems blotchy and hard to read.  Also not really small enough
>either.
>
>Maybe just the larger size makes it appear cleaner.
>
>So, are there better ways to do this? And can I get 75 lines or some
>other higher number in console mode?

Try installing the package for terminus fonts and use the appropriate
one with wsfontload. Terminus is very crisp and clean and may make you
happier.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD Users Group
[hidden email]   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |

Re: 80x50 console res but .. clean font

Antonios Anastasiadis
I think netbsd just got preliminary framebuffer support.
Perhaps in the future a developer might have interest in porting it.

Re: 80x50 console res but .. clean font

Julian Fondren
On 2/28/06, Antonios Anastasiadis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think netbsd just got preliminary framebuffer support.
> Perhaps in the future a developer might have interest in porting it.

I feel a bit odd for asking this, because I used to live on the
console, but I must ask: why?  Why do any of you care about better
fonts or resolutions or assorted prettiness on the console?

Just go into X.  OpenBSD has the full range of window managers in
ports, from ratpoison and amiga-lookalikes to treewm to Enlightenment
to GNOME/KDE.  Can't you at least use ratpoison?  A computer incapable
of even that should probably not be taking up a monitor or keyboard.

Terminus font on console

Darrin Chandler
Darrin Chandler wrote:

> Try installing the package for terminus fonts and use the appropriate
> one with wsfontload. Terminus is very crisp and clean and may make you
> happier.

I hadn't tried this, though I've been happily using Terminus under X.
Ray Lai called me on it, so I gave it a shot. I haven't succeeded. From
the home page, "..., BSD console (not tested) and ..."

When I want a higher resolution console I've been using ratpoison.

Has anyone made terminus fonts work at console?

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD Users Group
[hidden email]   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |

Re: 80x50 console res but .. clean font

scorch-2
Darrin Chandler said the following on 2006-02-28 16:24:

>> In default console res, the font is crisp and clear but using the
>> example:
>>  wsfontload -h 8 -e ibm /usr/share/misc/pcvtfonts/vt220l.808
>>
> Try installing the package for terminus fonts and use the appropriate
> one with wsfontload. Terminus is very crisp and clean and may make you
> happier.

thanks for the suggestion. however these fonts seem all to be X11. are there
any ways to convert there to 80x50 resolution, and also identify which ones
are vt220 compatible etc?

cheers, scorch
out of the frying pan and into the fire

scorch wrote:

> thanks for the suggestion. however these fonts seem all to be X11. are
> there any ways to convert there to 80x50 resolution, and also identify
> which ones are vt220 compatible etc?
>
> cheers, scorch
> --
> out of the frying pan and into the fire

The console fonts aren't installed in the package. In the original
sources they can be built, but I haven't got those to work either (which
is probably why they're not in the package.)

If it's practical for you, you might try using ratpoison under X. It's a
lightweight window manager inspired by screen, with the added benefit of
doing side-by-side split screen.

I'm not done trying to get terminus console fonts going, and I'll post
something if I get somewhere. But don't hold your breath...

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD Users Group
[hidden email]   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |

Re: 80x50 console res but .. clean font

Gustavo Rios
Just my opnion, only that:

When used linux slackware, it was very beautifull to boot in 1280x1024
on console and have a nice bitmamp linux logo printed on the left
upper side of the screen.

The utility of such? In fact it is useless from a funcionality
perspective. But it was very  charmy. I would love to show every body
around here what my box runs.

Just my two cents

Darrin Chandler <[hidden email]> writes:

>>So, are there better ways to do this? And can I get 75 lines or some
>>other higher number in console mode?
>>

> Try installing the package for terminus fonts and use the appropriate
> one with wsfontload. Terminus is very crisp and clean and may make you
> happier.

Don't those fonts expect X11 to be present?  I'm running console only
no X.

Re: 80x50 console res but .. clean font

Harry Putnam
Darrin Chandler <[hidden email]> writes:

> If it's practical for you, you might try using ratpoison under X. It's
> a lightweight window manager inspired by screen, with the added
> benefit of doing side-by-side split screen.

I've seen several mentions of ratpoison and X.  I'm not running X and
didn't plan to.  How much X is required to run `Ratpoison'.  I do want
a screen with much finer resolution that the stock console setup.  It
is absolutely huge and I want more on the screen.

How do I get a dependancy list of ratpoison?

Harry Putnam wrote:

>Darrin Chandler <[hidden email]> writes:
>

>>If it's practical for you, you might try using ratpoison under X. It's
>>a lightweight window manager inspired by screen, with the added
>>benefit of doing side-by-side split screen.
>>

>I've seen several mentions of ratpoison and X.  I'm not running X and
>didn't plan to.  How much X is required to run `Ratpoison'.  I do want
>a screen with much finer resolution that the stock console setup.  It
>is absolutely huge and I want more on the screen.
>
>How do I get a dependancy list of ratpoison?

Ratpoison just needs an X server. Easiest thing would be to use the
install set for X to get that going.

Ratpoison itself is quite lightweight. If I remember right, there are
*no* dependencies (beyond X). If you're a screen(1) user then you'll
feel right at home.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD Users Group
[hidden email]   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |

Re: 80x50 console res but .. clean font

Matthias Kilian
On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 03:59:04PM -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
> How do I get a dependancy list of ratpoison?

Just X11, IIRC. See /usr/ports/x11/ratpoison/Makefile. Overhead
compared to a plain text console, but beautyful if you need an X11
display for some programs but don't want to use a mouse.

On 2006/02/28 15:59, Harry Putnam wrote:
> > If it's practical for you, you might try using ratpoison under X. It's
> > a lightweight window manager inspired by screen, with the added
> > benefit of doing side-by-side split screen.
>
> I've seen several mentions of ratpoison and X.  I'm not running X and
> didn't plan to.  How much X is required to run `Ratpoison'.  I do want
> a screen with much finer resolution that the stock console setup.  It
> is absolutely huge and I want more on the screen.

X is smaller than comp39.tgz, if that's any basis for decisions.

I used to be reluctant to install X, but needing the font libraries
for recent GD, and owning a Zaurus (which doesn't have the fastest
text-mode screen updates in the world) I've got it on a couple of
boxes now.

> How do I get a dependancy list of ratpoison?

That's a good question imo. I thought pkg_info -r would do this,
is it a mistake that it looks for +REQUIRE rather than +REQUIRING?
Generally it can pull these right from your local mirror listed
in $PKG_PATH.

The fallback is to examine the port Makefiles.

Re: 80x50 console res but .. clean font

Andrew Dalgleish
On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 03:59:04PM -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Darrin Chandler <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > If it's practical for you, you might try using ratpoison under X. It's
> > a lightweight window manager inspired by screen, with the added
> > benefit of doing side-by-side split screen.
>
> I've seen several mentions of ratpoison and X.  I'm not running X and
> didn't plan to.  How much X is required to run `Ratpoison'.  I do want
> a screen with much finer resolution that the stock console setup.  It
> is absolutely huge and I want more on the screen.

The ports tree has several light-weight window managers, try them all.
If memory is tight, rxvt uses a tad less than xterm.
On my laptop I use evilwm with rxvt, and get text windows of 58x167

Regards,
Andrew Dalgleish

Matthias Kilian <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 03:59:04PM -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> How do I get a dependancy list of ratpoison?
>
> Just X11, IIRC. See /usr/ports/x11/ratpoison/Makefile. Overhead
> compared to a plain text console, but beautyful if you need an X11
> display for some programs but don't want to use a mouse.

I'm not understanding what you mean about the mouse part.  It lacks
mouse support?

Harry Putnam wrote:

>Matthias Kilian <[hidden email]> writes:
>

>>Just X11, IIRC. See /usr/ports/x11/ratpoison/Makefile. Overhead
>>compared to a plain text console, but beautyful if you need an X11
>>display for some programs but don't want to use a mouse.
>>

>I'm not understanding what you mean about the mouse part.  It lacks
>mouse support?

Is supports the mouse, but unlike most window managers all navigation
can be done with the keyboard. It's a *lot* like screen, but extended to
X. If you like being at console and like screen but want more control
over resolution, fonts, etc., then ratpoison will be nice for you. I
don't need much fancy X stuff, but I really like using ratpoison for my
1920x1200 widescreen (better resolution and crisper fonts than anything
you'd get at console.)

http://www.stilyagin.com/  |

Re: 80x50 console res but .. clean font

Harry Putnam
Darrin Chandler <[hidden email]> writes:

> Is supports the mouse, but unlike most window managers all navigation
> can be done with the keyboard. It's a *lot* like screen, but extended
> to X. If you like being at console and like screen but want more
> control over resolution, fonts, etc., then ratpoison will be nice for
> you. I don't need much fancy X stuff, but I really like using
> ratpoison for my 1920x1200 widescreen (better resolution and crisper
> fonts than anything you'd get at console.)

Ahh thanks for the clear up.  And yes I do like console and screen so
this sounds just about right for me.

Re: 80x50 console res but .. clean font

Matthias Kilian
On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 06:42:14PM -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
[...]
> > compared to a plain text console, but beautyful if you need an X11
> > display for some programs but don't want to use a mouse.
>
> I'm not understanding what you mean about the mouse part.  It lacks
> mouse support?

You don't control ratpoison  with a mouse.  That's the whole point
of it (see http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/).

But of course you can run X11 programs under ratpoison that are
controlled with the mouse.

I'm even running things like konqueror and eclipse under ratpoison
if I need to.

Ciao,
        Kili