6.9-BETA Installer crash

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

6.9-BETA Installer crash

Chris Zakelj
Thought I'd try using the Dell and ARC-1200 combination with 6.9-BETA I
mentioned a couple months ago
(https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=158259981320518), but still no
luck.  Dmesg of both 6.9-BETA and verbose FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE attached
in case they might be useful. I've also gone backwards to 5.8-RELEASE on
the off chance I could zero in on a change that broke things, but no
luck there, either.

dmesg fbsd121.txt (45K) Download Attachment
dmesg obsd69.txt (4K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 6.9-BETA Installer crash

Chris Cappuccio
Chris Zakelj [[hidden email]] wrote:
> Thought I'd try using the Dell and ARC-1200 combination with 6.9-BETA I
> mentioned a couple months ago
> (https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=158259981320518), but still no luck.
> Dmesg of both 6.9-BETA and verbose FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE attached in case
> they might be useful. I've also gone backwards to 5.8-RELEASE on the off
> chance I could zero in on a change that broke things, but no luck there,
> either.

Can you please try booting different versions until you find one that works?

You said OpenBSD 5.8 does not boot either? Did you mean 6.8? And,
can you try OpenBSD 5.4 and 5.5 ?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 6.9-BETA Installer crash

Chris Zakelj
On 2/18/2021 12:26 PM, Chris Cappuccio wrote:

> Chris Zakelj [[hidden email]] wrote:
>> Thought I'd try using the Dell and ARC-1200 combination with 6.9-BETA I
>> mentioned a couple months ago
>> (https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=158259981320518), but still no luck.
>> Dmesg of both 6.9-BETA and verbose FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE attached in case
>> they might be useful. I've also gone backwards to 5.8-RELEASE on the off
>> chance I could zero in on a change that broke things, but no luck there,
>> either.
>
> Can you please try booting different versions until you find one that works?
>
> You said OpenBSD 5.8 does not boot either? Did you mean 6.8? And,
> can you try OpenBSD 5.4 and 5.5 ?

Five-point-eight is correct.  I went through
https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/src/sys/dev/pci/arc.c checking for when
changes to the driver hit a release, and attempted booting those
releases. I'll look at more mirrors on the list to see if I can find
those older releases and report back either way.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 6.9-BETA Installer crash

Stuart Henderson
On 2021-02-18, Chris Zakelj <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/18/2021 12:26 PM, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
>> Chris Zakelj [[hidden email]] wrote:
>>> Thought I'd try using the Dell and ARC-1200 combination with 6.9-BETA I
>>> mentioned a couple months ago
>>> (https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=158259981320518), but still no luck.
>>> Dmesg of both 6.9-BETA and verbose FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE attached in case
>>> they might be useful. I've also gone backwards to 5.8-RELEASE on the off
>>> chance I could zero in on a change that broke things, but no luck there,
>>> either.
>>
>> Can you please try booting different versions until you find one that works?
>>
>> You said OpenBSD 5.8 does not boot either? Did you mean 6.8? And,
>> can you try OpenBSD 5.4 and 5.5 ?
>
> Five-point-eight is correct.  I went through
> https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/src/sys/dev/pci/arc.c checking for when
> changes to the driver hit a release, and attempted booting those
> releases. I'll look at more mirrors on the list to see if I can find
> those older releases and report back either way.
>
>

ftp.eu.openbsd.org has many old releases.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 6.9-BETA Installer crash

Chris Zakelj


On 2/18/2021 1:07 PM, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> On 2021-02-18, Chris Zakelj <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 2/18/2021 12:26 PM, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
>>> Chris Zakelj [[hidden email]] wrote:
>>>> Thought I'd try using the Dell and ARC-1200 combination with 6.9-BETA I
>>>> mentioned a couple months ago
>>>> (https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=158259981320518), but still no luck.
>>>> Dmesg of both 6.9-BETA and verbose FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE attached in case
>>>> they might be useful. I've also gone backwards to 5.8-RELEASE on the off
>>>> chance I could zero in on a change that broke things, but no luck there,
>>>> either.
>>>
>>> Can you please try booting different versions until you find one that works?
>>>
>>> You said OpenBSD 5.8 does not boot either? Did you mean 6.8? And,
>>> can you try OpenBSD 5.4 and 5.5 ?
>>
>> Five-point-eight is correct.  I went through
>> https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/src/sys/dev/pci/arc.c checking for when
>> changes to the driver hit a release, and attempted booting those
>> releases. I'll look at more mirrors on the list to see if I can find
>> those older releases and report back either way.
>>
>>
>
> ftp.eu.openbsd.org has many old releases.
Thanks!  Now for a mixed-bag result. 5.6 and 5.5 both panic. 5.4 boots
(dmesg attached), but doesn't actually see the 1TB array (installer says
"Available disks are: none."  I did get this curiosity after I escaped
the install shell and rebooted:

# reboot
syncing disks... done
arc0: timeout waiting to stop bg rebuild
arc0: timeout waiting to flush cache
rebooting...

There is no array building/modification activity going on, so... (shrug)

dmesg obsd54.txt (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 6.9-BETA Installer crash

Chris Cappuccio
Chris Zakelj [[hidden email]] wrote:
>
> Thanks!  Now for a mixed-bag result. 5.6 and 5.5 both panic. 5.4 boots
> (dmesg attached), but doesn't actually see the 1TB array (installer says
> "Available disks are: none."  I did get this curiosity after I escaped the
> install shell and rebooted:
>

Looks like we have a problem with arc_marvell cards. I had one working
but there may be different firmware, etc.

Areca sent a newer patch to openbsd-tech in the last year or so which you should try:

From: ching Huang <[hidden email]>
Subject: [PATCH: sys/dev/pci/arc.c] update Areca Raid adapter driver arc.c for support ARC-1203, ARC-1884

It's not clear if this changes the behavior on your card significantly.

Chris

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 6.9-BETA Installer crash

Chris Zakelj
Ohh... that's a pretty big diff, but my Marvell-based ARC-1200 is listed
as affected, so it's certainly worth a shot.  Now to dig in and teach
myself how to patch and build releases against -CURRENT (might be a
while before I come back with results)...
Chris

On 2/22/2021 1:40 PM, Chris Cappuccio wrote:

> Chris Zakelj [[hidden email]] wrote:
>>
>> Thanks!  Now for a mixed-bag result. 5.6 and 5.5 both panic. 5.4 boots
>> (dmesg attached), but doesn't actually see the 1TB array (installer says
>> "Available disks are: none."  I did get this curiosity after I escaped the
>> install shell and rebooted:
>>
>
> Looks like we have a problem with arc_marvell cards. I had one working
> but there may be different firmware, etc.
>
> Areca sent a newer patch to openbsd-tech in the last year or so which you should try:
>
> From: ching Huang <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [PATCH: sys/dev/pci/arc.c] update Areca Raid adapter driver arc.c for support ARC-1203, ARC-1884
>
> It's not clear if this changes the behavior on your card significantly.
>
> Chris
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 6.9-BETA Installer crash

Chris Cappuccio
In reply to this post by Chris Cappuccio
Chris Cappuccio [[hidden email]] wrote:

> Chris Zakelj [[hidden email]] wrote:
> >
> > Thanks!  Now for a mixed-bag result. 5.6 and 5.5 both panic. 5.4 boots
> > (dmesg attached), but doesn't actually see the 1TB array (installer says
> > "Available disks are: none."  I did get this curiosity after I escaped the
> > install shell and rebooted:
> >
>
> Looks like we have a problem with arc_marvell cards. I had one working
> but there may be different firmware, etc.
>
> Areca sent a newer patch to openbsd-tech in the last year or so which you should try:
>
> From: ching Huang <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [PATCH: sys/dev/pci/arc.c] update Areca Raid adapter driver arc.c for support ARC-1203, ARC-1884
>
> It's not clear if this changes the behavior on your card significantly.
>

Oh and here is where he supports the ARC 1200 rev B:

http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/PATCH-sys-dev-pci-arc-c-update-Areca-Raid-adapter-driver-arc-c-for-support-ARC-1203-ARC-1884-td394610.html

It looks like the newer patch on openbsd-tech includes this plus newer.

Chris