6.5 crashing on an old Thinkpad 600X

Gwen Nelson
Hi all, I've been trying to fix up an old Thinkpad, a 600X model with a
Pentium III and 64mb RAM, I get some errors in the AML code:

https://imgur.com/gallery/IRrpgmk

Unfortunately I can't obtain a dmesg as the machine has no networking and
I've managed to kill the bootloader while trying to update.

Any ideas?

Re: 6.5 crashing on an old Thinkpad 600X

Stuart Henderson
On 2019-09-19, Gwen Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all, I've been trying to fix up an old Thinkpad, a 600X model with a
> Pentium III and 64mb RAM, I get some errors in the AML code:
>
> https://imgur.com/gallery/IRrpgmk
>
> Unfortunately I can't obtain a dmesg as the machine has no networking and
> I've managed to kill the bootloader while trying to update.
>
> Any ideas?

First I'd try a snapshot, if that doesn't help then I'd try "boot -c"
and "disable acpitz". If you can get it booting, the acpi tables
generated in the report by running sendbug as root might help track
it down.

64MB is really pushing it for a useful system though.

Re: 6.5 crashing on an old Thinkpad 600X

Jan Stary
On Sep 19 23:10:31, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi all, I've been trying to fix up an old Thinkpad, a 600X model with a
> Pentium III and 64mb RAM,

Is 64MB of RAM even workable for current?

> I get some errors in the AML code:
> https://imgur.com/gallery/IRrpgmk

The panic immediately follows a malloc() call.
I wouldn't be surprised if you juts don't have enough memory.
You can also try disabling acpi* at boot(8).

> Unfortunately I can't obtain a dmesg as the machine has no networking and
> I've managed to kill the bootloader while trying to update.

Reinstall with current/i386 from a CD.
(How come the Thinkpad has no networking?)

Re: 6.5 crashing on an old Thinkpad 600X

Riccardo Mottola

I have a 600X! It is a super-vintage machine with a wonderful keyboard.

Gwen Nelson wrote:
> Hi all, I've been trying to fix up an old Thinkpad, a 600X model with a
> Pentium III and 64mb RAM, I get some errors in the AML code:
>
> https://imgur.com/gallery/IRrpgmk
>
> Unfortunately I can't obtain a dmesg as the machine has no networking and
> I've managed to kill the bootloader while trying to update.
>
> Any ideas?

You need to disable acpi:

boot -c and "disable acpi".

If that works, test it. I think 64MB should be enough for a login, but
for X you are pushing the limits. You can put more RAM and with a light
WM, you can use it for terminal and Xterm work easily.
Finding a woking PCMCIA WiFi card is not so easy, but wired ethernet is
easy.

Riccardo

Stuart Henderson wrote:
> First I'd try a snapshot, if that doesn't help then I'd try "boot -c"
> and "disable acpitz". If you can get it booting, the acpi tables
> generated in the report by running sendbug as root might help track
> it down.

I also have a 600X with that issue. I totally disable acpi, not just the
tz, which is your suggestion, I suppose.
I will try if it helps!

Riccardo