[6.5] Xfce: problem with shutdown menu

Stephane HUC "PengouinBSD"

Re: [6.5] Xfce: problem with shutdown menu

Tom Smyth
Hi Stephane

I would imagine it is because you dont have shutdown privilege as the
user in Xfce,

check your doas config ...

BTW i was just lazy and opened a privleged shell and ran halt -p

On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 at 22:05, Stephane HUC "PengouinBSD"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

--
Kindest regards,
Tom Smyth.

Re: [6.5] Xfce: problem with shutdown menu

Ingo Schwarze
Hi Tom,

Tom Smyth wrote on Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 10:09:54PM +0100:

> I would imagine it is because you dont have shutdown privilege as the
> user in Xfce,
>
> check your doas config ...
>
> BTW i was just lazy and opened a privleged shell and ran halt -p

i wouldn't call that "lazy" but rather "best practice".

Configuring a GUI to do privileged operations would seem pointless
to me: both complicated and risky.

Yours,
  Ingo

Re: [6.5] Xfce: problem with shutdown menu

Stephane HUC "PengouinBSD"

Re: [6.5] Xfce: problem with shutdown menu

Theo de Raadt-2
"Stephane HUC \"PengouinBSD\"" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, Tom. Ty for your reply.
>
> On my file /etc/doas.conf, i've only one line, as:
>
> "permit nopass setenv { ENV PS1 SSH_AUTH_SOCK } :wheel"

So a javascript exploit in your browser can perform a rm -rf.

Cool.

Re: [6.5] Xfce: problem with shutdown menu

chohag
Theo de Raadt writes:
> "Stephane HUC \"PengouinBSD\"" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi, Tom. Ty for your reply.
> >
> > On my file /etc/doas.conf, i've only one line, as:
> >
> > "permit nopass setenv { ENV PS1 SSH_AUTH_SOCK } :wheel"

> So a javascript exploit in your browser can perform a rm -rf.

... everywhere.

Matthew