6.5 PowerPC Packages

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Edgar Pettijohn III-2

On May 9, 2019 2:45 PM, Henry Bonath <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Only if said trailer is Delorean-shaped.

Maybe just attach a second delorian to the first.

> On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 3:43 PM Edgar Pettijohn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Come on Theo, everybody knows that you can't run a flux capacitor
> > > without 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott
> > >

> > Perhaps we can get a trailer to pull behind the delorian so we can fit all of the machines.

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Christopher Turkel
On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 5:55 PM Edgar Pettijohn <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On May 9, 2019 2:45 PM, Henry Bonath <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Only if said trailer is Delorean-shaped.
>
> Maybe just attach a second delorian to the first.
>

> > On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 3:43 PM Edgar Pettijohn <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> capacitor,
> machines

> > > Perhaps we can get a trailer to pull behind the delorian so we can fit
> all of the machines.

Be careful, you could a rip a whole in the time space continuum.

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Peter J. Philipp-3
On Thu, May 09, 2019 at 06:12:54PM -0400, Christopher Turkel wrote:
> Be careful, you could a rip a whole in the time space continuum.

Speaking of ripping anything with the time space continuum. I know the
CD's are an artifact of the past, but since we have time machines, can
someone find out why it is that after the 5.5 release (with the back to
the future theme coincidentally) the macppc port was stopped being called
"macppc" on CD#2?  Instead it was called "powerpc" again which it hasn't
been called since 3.0 days or so.  At first I thought someone swapped my
CD with a pirated copy and messed up on this, but it seems that we've
been travelling in a parallel dimension since 5.5.  I just noticed this
last week btw.  This is akin to calling i386, x86 all of sudden.

Why was it called powerpc on the CD #2, after 5.5?

Regards,
-peter

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Theo de Raadt-2
>On Thu, May 09, 2019 at 06:12:54PM -0400, Christopher Turkel wrote:
>> Be careful, you could a rip a whole in the time space continuum.
>
>Speaking of ripping anything with the time space continuum. I know the
>CD's are an artifact of the past, but since we have time machines, can
>someone find out why it is that after the 5.5 release (with the back to
>the future theme coincidentally) the macppc port was stopped being called
>"macppc" on CD#2?  Instead it was called "powerpc" again which it hasn't
>been called since 3.0 days or so.  At first I thought someone swapped my
>CD with a pirated copy and messed up on this, but it seems that we've
>been travelling in a parallel dimension since 5.5.  I just noticed this
>last week btw.  This is akin to calling i386, x86 all of sudden.
>
>Why was it called powerpc on the CD #2, after 5.5?

To see if anyone cared.

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

M Wedin
Den fre 10 maj 2019 kl 07:01 skrev Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]>:

> >On Thu, May 09, 2019 at 06:12:54PM -0400, Christopher Turkel wrote:
> >> Be careful, you could a rip a whole in the time space continuum.
> >
> >Speaking of ripping anything with the time space continuum. I know the
> >CD's are an artifact of the past, but since we have time machines, can
> >someone find out why it is that after the 5.5 release (with the back to
> >the future theme coincidentally) the macppc port was stopped being called
> >"macppc" on CD#2?  Instead it was called "powerpc" again which it hasn't
> >been called since 3.0 days or so.  At first I thought someone swapped my
> >CD with a pirated copy and messed up on this, but it seems that we've
> >been travelling in a parallel dimension since 5.5.  I just noticed this
> >last week btw.  This is akin to calling i386, x86 all of sudden.
> >
> >Why was it called powerpc on the CD #2, after 5.5?
>
> To see if anyone cared.

The AmigaOne is built with PPC. And it isn't a Mac.

Wedin

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Theo de Raadt-2
M Wedin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> --000000000000eb97e20588825e48

> > >Speaking of ripping anything with the time space continuum. I know the
> > >CD's are an artifact of the past, but since we have time machines, can
> > >someone find out why it is that after the 5.5 release (with the back to
> > >the future theme coincidentally) the macppc port was stopped being called
> > >"macppc" on CD#2?  Instead it was called "powerpc" again which it hasn't
> > >been called since 3.0 days or so.  At first I thought someone swapped my
> > >CD with a pirated copy and messed up on this, but it seems that we've
> > >been travelling in a parallel dimension since 5.5.  I just noticed this
> > >last week btw.  This is akin to calling i386, x86 all of sudden.
> > >
> > >Why was it called powerpc on the CD #2, after 5.5?
> >
> > To see if anyone cared.
> >

> The AmigaOne is built with PPC. And it isn't a Mac.

We were talking about real computers but you had to start talking about
dolls.

Pretty sad.

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Karel Gardas
is some interest, but well judge yourself.

Karel

On 5/9/19 4:45 PM, Andrew Luke Nesbit wrote:

> On 09/05/2019 14:56, Allan Streib wrote:
>> Unless https://www.openbsd.org/plat.html is out of date, it doesn't look
>> like OpenBSD is currently supporting POWER8 or POWER9 plaftorms.
>
> I wonder what is the best way to determine interest in getting OpenBSD
> to work on POWER8/9?
>
> My first thought is to ask around in the OpenBSD and OpenPOWER
> communities.  Then to see if there is any natural rapport between them.
>
> Andrew

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Karel Gardas

On 5/9/19 5:00 PM, Janne Johansson wrote:

> Den tors 9 maj 2019 kl 16:49 skrev Andrew Luke Nesbit <
> [hidden email]>:
>
>>> Unless https://www.openbsd.org/plat.html is out of date, it doesn't look
>>> like OpenBSD is currently supporting POWER8 or POWER9 plaftorms.
>>
>> I wonder what is the best way to determine interest in getting OpenBSD
>> to work on POWER8/9?
>>

> Look for amount of diffs published in the direction of getting it to work.
> If that is zero or very close to zero, then interest is probably at the
> same level.

It's not that simple. From application developer even with decades of
experience you do not convert into kernel developer over night. Neither
you will be able to read all the required docs and specs and make a
brain map from them over night. It takes time. Also with all this under
your belt, still the port itself will take another time. So I would be
less sharp with 0 patches == 0 interest judgement.

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

On 2019-05-09, Matthew Graybosch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 9, 2019, at 9:28 AM, Henry Bonath wrote:
>> I'm not sure how many folks out there are PowerPC users, but I was
>> just curious if anyone had an idea on if or when we might see those
>> out in the mirrors.
>
> I've got a 2003 lamp-style iMac that runs the macppc port of OpenBSD
> -CURRENT. It runs fine but could use a RAM upgrade and a new SSD.
> Pre-built package support for macppc isn't as extensive as on amd64;
> NetSurf is the best graphical web browser I've found in macppc
> packages, and I haven't dared try compiling from ports using only
> 256MB of RAM and the original 60GB HDD -- but at least I've got Emacs.

If something isn't present in pre-built packages (excluding ports with
license restrictions), it will be because the build failed - building
from ports won't help unless you are making changes to fix it.

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

On 2019-05-10, Karel Gardas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/9/19 5:00 PM, Janne Johansson wrote:

>>> I wonder what is the best way to determine interest in getting OpenBSD
>>> to work on POWER8/9?
>>>

>> Look for amount of diffs published in the direction of getting it to work.
>> If that is zero or very close to zero, then interest is probably at the
>> same level.
>
> It's not that simple. From application developer even with decades of
> experience you do not convert into kernel developer over night. Neither
> you will be able to read all the required docs and specs and make a
> brain map from them over night. It takes time. Also with all this under
> your belt, still the port itself will take another time. So I would be
> less sharp with 0 patches == 0 interest judgement.

There are two different things. "interest in getting it to work" can
be estimated by, as jj says, diffs, and also by seeing questions come up
indicating that someone is looking in that direction.

"interest in somebody else getting it to work" is different and pretty
much irrelevant to whether it happens.

From what I've seen on mailing lists and other places, there's been at
most a handful of the latter, and afaik 0 of the former.

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Christian Weisgerber
On 2019-05-09, Christian Weisgerber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The build has been running for 25 days so far, across two machines,
> and the packages will be uploaded once they are finished.

I just signed the packages.  They'll become available in a day or so.

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Henry Bonath
Awesome! Thank you for the status update.

On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 6:33 PM Christian Weisgerber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2019-05-09, Christian Weisgerber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The build has been running for 25 days so far, across two machines,
> > and the packages will be uploaded once they are finished.
>
> I just signed the packages.  They'll become available in a day or so.
>
> --
> Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          [hidden email]

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Steven Shockley
On 5/9/2019 10:55 AM, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> The real reason is because we're low on current for the flux capacitor,
> after shifting time for the early 6.5 release.  Not all the machines
> were able to fit into back seat of the Delorian.

Wouldn't that be low on -release or -stable?

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Peter Hessler
:
:Wouldn't that be low on -release or -stable?
:

-release packages.

We currently do not offically build -stable packages.

--
If you stand on your head, you will get footprints in your hair.

12