6.5 PowerPC Packages

Henry Bonath
I'm not sure how many folks out there are PowerPC users, but I was
just curious if anyone had an idea on if or when we might see those
out in the mirrors.

I also suppose in the same vein, I could be learning how to pull the
ports tree and build what I need that way :-)

Thanks!

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Tom Smyth
Hi Henry,

it takes a while to build all the packages on PowerPC ...  IIRC
so it will take a while AFAIK

Thanks

--
Kindest regards,
Tom Smyth.

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Andrew Luke Nesbit-2
On 09/05/2019 14:26, Henry Bonath wrote:
> I'm not sure how many folks out there are PowerPC users

What exactly do you mean by PowerPC?

I am a user of Apple PowerBook G4, POWER8, and POWER9.  I am new to
OpenBSD and I intend to experiment with it on these architectures.

Andrew
OpenPGP key: EB28 0338 28B7 19DA DAB0  B193 D21D 996E 883B E5B9

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Matthew Graybosch-2
On Thu, May 9, 2019, at 9:28 AM, Henry Bonath wrote:
> I'm not sure how many folks out there are PowerPC users, but I was
> just curious if anyone had an idea on if or when we might see those
> out in the mirrors.

I've got a 2003 lamp-style iMac that runs the macppc port of OpenBSD
-CURRENT. It runs fine but could use a RAM upgrade and a new SSD.
Pre-built package support for macppc isn't as extensive as on amd64;
NetSurf is the best graphical web browser I've found in macppc
packages, and I haven't dared try compiling from ports using only
256MB of RAM and the original 60GB HDD -- but at least I've got Emacs.

--
Matthew Graybosch
https://www.matthewgraybosch.com
"Out of order? Even in the future nothing works."

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Henry Bonath
I figured that was the case, I suppose I was a little afraid that they
weren't coming!

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 9:35 AM Tom Smyth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Henry,
>
> it takes a while to build all the packages on PowerPC ...  IIRC
> so it will take a while AFAIK
>
> Thanks
>
> On Thu, 9 May 2019 at 14:34, Henry Bonath <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure how many folks out there are PowerPC users, but I was
> > just curious if anyone had an idea on if or when we might see those
> > out in the mirrors.
> >
> > I also suppose in the same vein, I could be learning how to pull the
> > ports tree and build what I need that way :-)
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> --
> Kindest regards,
> Tom Smyth.

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Allan Streib-2
Andrew Luke Nesbit <[hidden email]> writes:

> I am a user of Apple PowerBook G4, POWER8, and POWER9.  I am new to
> OpenBSD and I intend to experiment with it on these architectures.

Unless https://www.openbsd.org/plat.html is out of date, it doesn't look
like OpenBSD is currently supporting POWER8 or POWER9 plaftorms.

Allan

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Andrew Luke Nesbit
On 09/05/2019 14:56, Allan Streib wrote:
> Unless https://www.openbsd.org/plat.html is out of date, it doesn't look
> like OpenBSD is currently supporting POWER8 or POWER9 plaftorms.

I wonder what is the best way to determine interest in getting OpenBSD
to work on POWER8/9?

My first thought is to ask around in the OpenBSD and OpenPOWER
communities.  Then to see if there is any natural rapport between them.

Andrew
--
OpenPGP key: EB28 0338 28B7 19DA DAB0  B193 D21D 996E 883B E5B9

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Christian Weisgerber
On 2019-05-09, Henry Bonath <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not sure how many folks out there are PowerPC users, but I was
> just curious if anyone had an idea on if or when we might see those
> out in the mirrors.

The build has been running for 25 days so far, across two machines,
and the packages will be uploaded once they are finished.

There are two ways to go about this: We can delay the release until
all architectures have finished building, or we can start releasing
once the fast & popular archs are ready and the others will catch
up eventually.

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Theo de Raadt-2
Christian Weisgerber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2019-05-09, Henry Bonath <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure how many folks out there are PowerPC users, but I was
> > just curious if anyone had an idea on if or when we might see those
> > out in the mirrors.
>
> The build has been running for 25 days so far, across two machines,
> and the packages will be uploaded once they are finished.
>
> There are two ways to go about this: We can delay the release until
> all architectures have finished building, or we can start releasing
> once the fast & popular archs are ready and the others will catch
> up eventually.

The real reason is because we're low on current for the flux capacitor,
after shifting time for the early 6.5 release.  Not all the machines
were able to fit into back seat of the Delorian.

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Peter Hessler
:
:I wonder what is the best way to determine interest in getting OpenBSD
:to work on POWER8/9?
:

In order to support a new architgecture, OpenBSD would need 10 or more
physical machines to be distrbuted among the build infrastructure and
interested developers.

Loans and offers for machines that are hosted offsite don't count, nor
do VMs.

:My first thought is to ask around in the OpenBSD and OpenPOWER
:communities.  Then to see if there is any natural rapport between them.
:
:Andrew
:--
:OpenPGP key: EB28 0338 28B7 19DA DAB0  B193 D21D 996E 883B E5B9
:

If entropy is increasing, where is it coming from?

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Janne Johansson-3
Den tors 9 maj 2019 kl 16:49 skrev Andrew Luke Nesbit <
[hidden email]>:

> > Unless https://www.openbsd.org/plat.html is out of date, it doesn't look
> > like OpenBSD is currently supporting POWER8 or POWER9 plaftorms.
>
> I wonder what is the best way to determine interest in getting OpenBSD
> to work on POWER8/9?

Look for amount of diffs published in the direction of getting it to work.
If that is zero or very close to zero, then interest is probably at the
same level.

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

nothingness

On 09/05/2019 16:45, Andrew Luke Nesbit wrote:
> On 09/05/2019 14:56, Allan Streib wrote:
>> Unless https://www.openbsd.org/plat.html is out of date, it doesn't look
>> like OpenBSD is currently supporting POWER8 or POWER9 plaftorms.
> I wonder what is the best way to determine interest in getting OpenBSD
> to work on POWER8/9?
>
> My first thought is to ask around in the OpenBSD and OpenPOWER
> communities.  Then to see if there is any natural rapport between them
> Andrew

There was a massive thread on obtaining POWER8 hardware from IBM to
support a porting of the OS three years ago. It amounted to IBM's
opensource people not seeing it as viable because of lack of demand from
their customers. I doubt this will change any time soon I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Noth

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Henry Bonath
That's good to know, thank you for sharing how the process works.
My initial question was more of a curiosity than anything else.
It's 100% understandable that these things take time, especially on
older hardware.
The early release of 6.5 was a nice surprise for sure! Thanks again!

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 10:53 AM Christian Weisgerber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2019-05-09, Henry Bonath <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure how many folks out there are PowerPC users, but I was
> > just curious if anyone had an idea on if or when we might see those
> > out in the mirrors.
>
> The build has been running for 25 days so far, across two machines,
> and the packages will be uploaded once they are finished.
>
> There are two ways to go about this: We can delay the release until
> all architectures have finished building, or we can start releasing
> once the fast & popular archs are ready and the others will catch
> up eventually.
>
> --
> Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          [hidden email]

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Daniel Boyd-2
On Thu, May 09, 2019 at 08:55:40AM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> The real reason is because we're low on current for the flux capacitor,
> after shifting time for the early 6.5 release.  Not all the machines
> were able to fit into back seat of the Delorian.

Come on Theo, everybody knows that you can't run a flux capacitor
without 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Christian Weisgerber
On 2019-05-09, Henry Bonath <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I figured that was the case, I suppose I was a little afraid that they
> weren't coming!

Each release, XY.html (so 65.html now) has a paragraph

  Many pre-built packages for each architecture:

listing the architectures and the respective package count.  If it says
  <arch>: XXXX
that means we are building and there WILL be packages for that arch.

I think we've only broken that promise once.  (No hppa for 6.3.)

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Joachim Roos
Well, as far as I remember the flux capacitor runs on plutonium...Be
cautious, Theo ... ;-)Joe Gesendet: Donnerstag, 09. Mai 2019 um 16:55 Uhr
Von: "Theo de Raadt" <[hidden email]>
An: "Christian Weisgerber" <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]
Betreff: Re: 6.5 PowerPC PackagesChristian Weisgerber
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2019-05-09, Henry Bonath <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure how many folks out there are PowerPC users, but I was
> > just curious if anyone had an idea on if or when we might see those
> > out in the mirrors.
>
> The build has been running for 25 days so far, across two machines,
> and the packages will be uploaded once they are finished.
>
> There are two ways to go about this: We can delay the release until
> all architectures have finished building, or we can start releasing
> once the fast & popular archs are ready and the others will catch
> up eventually.

The real reason is because we're low on current for the flux capacitor,
after shifting time for the early 6.5 release. Not all the machines
were able to fit into back seat of the Delorian.

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Paul Suh-2
On May 9, 2019, at 11:41 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Thu, May 09, 2019 at 08:55:40AM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:
>> The real reason is because we're low on current for the flux capacitor,
>> after shifting time for the early 6.5 release.  Not all the machines
>> were able to fit into back seat of the Delorian.
>>

> Come on Theo, everybody knows that you can't run a flux capacitor
> without 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott

Not a problem. We can get a Mr. Fusion from Amazon to power the flux capacitor:

https://www.amazon.com/Back-Future-Mr-Fusion-Replica/dp/B00NPADMRK

I'm off to setup a GoFundMe page for contributions towards one for the OpenBSD project. ;-D

--Paul

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Christopher Turkel
You get free shipping with any flux capacitor ‘

On Thursday, May 9, 2019, Paul Suh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On May 9, 2019, at 11:41 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, May 09, 2019 at 08:55:40AM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> >> The real reason is because we're low on current for the flux capacitor,
> >> after shifting time for the early 6.5 release.  Not all the machines
> >> were able to fit into back seat of the Delorian.
> >>

> > Come on Theo, everybody knows that you can't run a flux capacitor
> > without 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott
> >

> Not a problem. We can get a Mr. Fusion from Amazon to power the flux
> capacitor:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Back-Future-Mr-Fusion-Replica/dp/B00NPADMRK
>
> I'm off to setup a GoFundMe page for contributions towards one for the
> OpenBSD project. ;-D
>

> --Paul

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Edgar Pettijohn III-2

On May 9, 2019 10:41 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Thu, May 09, 2019 at 08:55:40AM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > The real reason is because we're low on current for the flux capacitor,
> > after shifting time for the early 6.5 release.  Not all the machines
> > were able to fit into back seat of the Delorian.
> >

> Come on Theo, everybody knows that you can't run a flux capacitor
> without 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott

Perhaps we can get a trailer to pull behind the delorian so we can fit all of the machines.

Re: 6.5 PowerPC Packages

Henry Bonath
Only if said trailer is Delorean-shaped.

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 3:43 PM Edgar Pettijohn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On May 9, 2019 10:41 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, May 09, 2019 at 08:55:40AM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > > The real reason is because we're low on current for the flux capacitor,
> > > after shifting time for the early 6.5 release.  Not all the machines
> > > were able to fit into back seat of the Delorian.
> > >

> > Come on Theo, everybody knows that you can't run a flux capacitor
> > without 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott
> >

> Perhaps we can get a trailer to pull behind the delorian so we can fit all of the machines.

12