6.4 - Unable to boot after successfully installed

6.4 - Unable to boot after successfully installed

Luthing
Hello there,

I'm facing a strange issue and I need help to fix it.

I created a bootable USB key using Rufus3.3 (Windows) and I successfully
installed OpenBSD 6.4 on my Dell server.

After the installation is done, I cannot boot on my system...

I can see the boot> prompt but, just after the "booting hd0a:/bsd ......"
and before the message "entry point at 0xxxx", my server reboots....

Sorry to don't give me more logs, but I only have access to boot> prompt.

Can anyone help me on this please?

Many thanks
Cheers
Luthing

Sent from: http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/openbsd-user-misc-f3.html

Re: 6.4 - Unable to boot after successfully installed

OpenBSD lists
On 11/5/2018 8:24 AM, Luthing wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I'm facing a strange issue and I need help to fix it.
>

> I created a bootable USB key using Rufus3.3 (Windows) and I successfully
> installed OpenBSD 6.4 on my Dell server.
>
> After the installation is done, I cannot boot on my system...
>
> I can see the boot> prompt but, just after the "booting hd0a:/bsd ......"
> and before the message "entry point at 0xxxx", my server reboots....
>
> Sorry to don't give me more logs, but I only have access to boot> prompt.
>
> Can anyone help me on this please?
>
> Many thanks
> Cheers
> Luthing
>

> --
> Sent from: http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/openbsd-user-misc-f3.html

Let me guess, you built your system using just one big root partition
instead of actually partitioning your disks or using the defaults?

Re: 6.4 - Unable to boot after successfully installed

Luthing
Hey,
I am partitioning my disk manually like :
~80% for /root partition
~20% for swap

That's all
Any idea?

Sent from: http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/openbsd-user-misc-f3.html

Re: 6.4 - Unable to boot after successfully installed

gjones5555
Read https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html about disks and partitions.

I use one fdisk disk partition for OpenBSD that disklabel splits into
several file system partitions.

Regards

On 11/7/18 4:03 AM, Luthing wrote:

> Hey,
> I am partitioning my disk manually like :
> ~80% for /root partition
> ~20% for swap
>
> That's all
> Any idea?

> Sent from: http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/openbsd-user-misc-f3.html

Re: 6.4 - Unable to boot after successfully installed

Allan Streib-2
Luthing <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hey,
> I am partitioning my disk manually like :
> ~80% for /root partition
> ~20% for swap
>
> That's all
> Any idea?

https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#Partitioning

Allan

Re: 6.4 - Unable to boot after successfully installed

Kenneth Gober
On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 9:29 AM Luthing <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am partitioning my disk manually like :
> ~80% for /root partition
> ~20% for swap

Try installing again using the default disklabel slice layout.  If
that works that means your root file system is too big.  I rarely make
my root partition any larger than 512MB (128MB-256MB is typical for
me).  If the default slice sizes aren't large enough for you, adjust
them as needed.  If you need a file system with a ton of space in it,
use /home for that, or make an extra slice and mount it where it makes
sense (e.g. /var/mariadb if you need a big space for a database).  At
a minimum, you should have separate partitions for / (root), /usr,
/usr/local, /var and /home.

In rare circumstances I've made root file systems as large as 16GB.
But a 200GB+ root is really too much.

-ken

Re: 6.4 - Unable to boot after successfully installed

Luthing
OK you were all right...
After let the default partionning values, I'm able to boot normally.

I would thank Stefan and Kenneth about their detailed replies.
Many thanks for your help, and faq is answering my new questions about that.

Cheers
Luthing

--
Sent from: http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/openbsd-user-misc-f3.html