5.6 bootblock install fails w/ auto-generated disklabel

5.6 bootblock install fails w/ auto-generated disklabel

Michael Hansen
The whole install process seems to proceed normally until I reach here:

"
Saving configuration files...Making all device nodes...done.
installboot: bootstrap overlaps with partition i

Failed to install bootblocks.
You will not be able to boot OpenBSD from sd0.
"

sd0 is a 9 GB SCA SCSI drive, pulled from a Sun Netra, with a c slice
of 8678.5 MB.
The automatic disklabel used slice a for / and gave it only 155.1 MB,
so I don't think
the 2 GB boot cap is even peripherally an issue, here. The i slice is 7.8 MB.

If it matters, the machine is a B1000, and I'm installing from a external SCSI
Plextor drive. (I couldn't get my purchased OpenBSD CD 1 to boot, but
downloaded .iso files seem fine.)

I've tried the install three times now, with two different hard disks,
with exactly
the same error.

Mike Hansen

Re: 5.6 bootblock install fails w/ auto-generated disklabel

Miod Vallat
> The whole install process seems to proceed normally until I reach here:
>
> "
> Saving configuration files...Making all device nodes...done.
> installboot: bootstrap overlaps with partition i
>
> Failed to install bootblocks.
> You will not be able to boot OpenBSD from sd0.
> "
>
> sd0 is a 9 GB SCA SCSI drive, pulled from a Sun Netra, with a c slice
> of 8678.5 MB.
> The automatic disklabel used slice a for / and gave it only 155.1 MB,
> so I don't think
> the 2 GB boot cap is even peripherally an issue, here. The i slice is 7.8 MB.

Can you show the output of `disklabel sd0' on this machine, from the
installer? The automatic layout should not have put an `i' slice, let
alone one overlapping the boot reserved area.

Did you clean (dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd0c count=32) the beginning of
the disk before attempting to install?

> I've tried the install three times now, with two different hard disks,
> with exactly
> the same error.

Was the other disk also borrowed from a Sun machine?

Miod