4G modems for OpenBSD?

Israel Brewster-2
Could anyone suggest a USB 4G cell modem model that will work well with OpenBSD, specifically SMSTools? I've looked over most of the list in "man umsm", but those all appear to be 3G. That said, I haven't checked every model on the list, so there could be one or more 4G models that I missed. I've also seen this thread: http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/4g-LTE-modem-td106310.html <http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/4g-LTE-modem-td106310.html>, but that is over 5 years old. There is also this thread: http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Anyone-experienced-with-4G-LTE-modems-td281872.html <http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Anyone-experienced-with-4G-LTE-modems-td281872.html>, but that doesn't appear to offer any suggestions of USB cell modems - just suggestions of using external cellular routers.

I do need a direct USB connection for the purposes of sending SMS messages directly from the system, i.e. I need to be able to send a SMS even if the internet is down, so online cloud services or the like that can convert e-mail to SMS aren't an option. Thanks.

Israel Brewster
Systems Analyst II
Ravn Alaska
5245 Airport Industrial Rd
Fairbanks, AK 99709
(907) 450-7293

Israel Brewster.vcf (473 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: 4G modems for OpenBSD?

Kirill
Try huawei e3276 with patch.
(http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Trouble-with-Huawei-e3276-td241825.html)
Works for me, but I dont use smstools, just ppp.

On 01/09/18 03:35, Israel Brewster wrote:

> Could anyone suggest a USB 4G cell modem model that will work well with OpenBSD, specifically SMSTools? I've looked over most of the list in "man umsm", but those all appear to be 3G. That said, I haven't checked every model on the list, so there could be one or more 4G models that I missed. I've also seen this thread: http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/4g-LTE-modem-td106310.html <http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/4g-LTE-modem-td106310.html>, but that is over 5 years old. There is also this thread: http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Anyone-experienced-with-4G-LTE-modems-td281872.html <http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Anyone-experienced-with-4G-LTE-modems-td281872.html>, but that doesn't appear to offer any suggestions of USB cell modems - just suggestions of using external cellular routers.
>
> I do need a direct USB connection for the purposes of sending SMS messages directly from the system, i.e. I need to be able to send a SMS even if the internet is down, so online cloud services or the like that can convert e-mail to SMS aren't an option. Thanks.

> Israel Brewster
> Systems Analyst II
> Ravn Alaska
> 5245 Airport Industrial Rd
> Fairbanks, AK 99709
> (907) 450-7293

Re: 4G modems for OpenBSD?

Daniel Gracia-2
Maybe this is not exactly the solution you're looking for, but have you
considered using a 4G gateway? In the past I've had great success with
Sierra Wireles AirLink family. It's pretty easy to send SMS commands
through IP with them, so a local Ethernet connection to the gateway should
do the trick. Neat devices!

> Could anyone suggest a USB 4G cell modem model that will work well with
> OpenBSD, specifically SMSTools? I've looked over most of the list in "man
> umsm", but those all appear to be 3G. That said, I haven't checked every
> model on the list, so there could be one or more 4G models that I missed.
> I've also seen this thread: http://openbsd-archive.7691.
> n7.nabble.com/4g-LTE-modem-td106310.html <http://openbsd-archive.7691.
> n7.nabble.com/4g-LTE-modem-td106310.html>, but that is over 5 years old.
> There is also this thread: http://openbsd-archive.7691.
> n7.nabble.com/Anyone-experienced-with-4G-LTE-modems-td281872.html <
> http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Anyone-experienced-with-4G-LTE-
> modems-td281872.html>, but that doesn't appear to offer any suggestions
> of USB cell modems - just suggestions of using external cellular routers.
>
> I do need a direct USB connection for the purposes of sending SMS messages
> directly from the system, i.e. I need to be able to send a SMS even if the
> internet is down, so online cloud services or the like that can convert
> e-mail to SMS aren't an option. Thanks.

> Israel Brewster
> Systems Analyst II
> Ravn Alaska
> 5245 Airport Industrial Rd
> Fairbanks, AK 99709
> (907) 450-7293

Re: 4G modems for OpenBSD?

Christoph R. Murauer
Hello !

> Could anyone suggest a USB 4G cell modem ...
> I do need a direct USB connection for the purposes of sending SMS
> messages directly from the system, ...

I don't know, if it is what you are looking for but have a look at man
4 cdce. I use the listet ZTE MF831.

Yes, it is connected using USB and it supports 4G / LTE (I have the
European version) - even it is listed as Ethernet device.

> i.e. I need to be able to send a SMS even if the internet is down, ...

The default (you can do that also manually over the web interface)
setting is, that the device connects automatically to the network of
the SIM (you don't need a internet connection to send SMS but to your
phone provider as for all devices to send SMS).

I also don't know, how you define SMSTools. You can open a web
browser, connect to the stick using the gateway IP and send and
recieve SMS (you can also manage kontakts on the SIM).

Regards,

Christoph

Re: 4G modems for OpenBSD?

Roderick

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018, Israel Brewster wrote:

> Could anyone suggest a USB 4G cell modem model that will work well with OpenBSD, specifically SMSTools? I've looked over most of the list in "man umsm", but those all appear to be 3G. That said, I haven't checked every model on the list, so there could be one or more 4G models that I missed. I've also seen this thread: http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/4g-LTE-modem-td106310.html <http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/4g-LTE-modem-td106310.html>, but that is over 5 years old. There is also this thread: http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Anyone-experienced-with-4G-LTE-modems-td281872.html <http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Anyone-experienced-with-4G-LTE-modems-td281872.html>, but that doesn't appear to offer any suggestions of USB cell modems - just suggestions of using external cellular routers.
>
> I do need a direct USB connection for the purposes of sending SMS messages directly from the system, i.e. I need to be able to send a SMS even if the internet is down, so online cloud services or the like that can convert e-mail to SMS aren't an option. Thanks.

External Router: "Globsurfer III" you can send SMS from its cofiguration
page.

With a modem, you can ask someone here having a 4G modem if it has the
extended AT commands that your program need. But what are these commands?
I do not know if they are standard. See for example here:

http://www.smssolutions.net/tutorials/gsm/receivesmsat/

http://www.smssolutions.net/tutorials/gsm/sendsmsat/

Perhaps you can write your own script with expect:

https://www.tcl.tk/man/expect5.31/expect.1.html

Rodrigo.

Re: 4G modems for OpenBSD?

Israel Brewster-2
On Jan 9, 2018, at 3:20 AM, Roderick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Jan 2018, Israel Brewster wrote:
>
>> Could anyone suggest a USB 4G cell modem model that will work well with OpenBSD, specifically SMSTools? I've looked over most of the list in "man umsm", but those all appear to be 3G. That said, I haven't checked every model on the list, so there could be one or more 4G models that I missed. I've also seen this thread: http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/4g-LTE-modem-td106310.html <http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/4g-LTE-modem-td106310.html>, but that is over 5 years old. There is also this thread: http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Anyone-experienced-with-4G-LTE-modems-td281872.html <http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Anyone-experienced-with-4G-LTE-modems-td281872.html>, but that doesn't appear to offer any suggestions of USB cell modems - just suggestions of using external cellular routers.
>>
>> I do need a direct USB connection for the purposes of sending SMS messages directly from the system, i.e. I need to be able to send a SMS even if the internet is down, so online cloud services or the like that can convert e-mail to SMS aren't an option. Thanks.
>
> External Router: "Globsurfer III" you can send SMS from its cofiguration
> page.

Does that mean web interface? if so, that won't work - I need a scriptable command line option. I'll look into it though. Thanks!

> With a modem, you can ask someone here having a 4G modem if it has the
> extended AT commands that your program need.
> But what are these commands?
> I do not know if they are standard. See for example here:

Well, as I said I'm using SMSTools - it's in ports - comms/smstools. No special program or extended AT commands, at least not on my end. I just call the command line "sendsms" that smstools provides. Easy peasy. I haven't looked at the source to see what it does under the hood.

Re: 4G modems for OpenBSD?

Israel Brewster-2
On Jan 9, 2018, at 3:16 AM, Christoph R. Murauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello !
>
>> Could anyone suggest a USB 4G cell modem ...
>> I do need a direct USB connection for the purposes of sending SMS
>> messages directly from the system, ...
>
> I don't know, if it is what you are looking for but have a look at man
> 4 cdce. I use the listet ZTE MF831.
>
> Yes, it is connected using USB and it supports 4G / LTE (I have the
> European version) - even it is listed as Ethernet device.
>
>> i.e. I need to be able to send a SMS even if the internet is down, ...
>
> The default (you can do that also manually over the web interface)
> setting is, that the device connects automatically to the network of
> the SIM (you don't need a internet connection to send SMS but to your
> phone provider as for all devices to send SMS).
>
> I also don't know, how you define SMSTools. You can open a web
> browser, connect to the stick using the gateway IP and send and
> recieve SMS (you can also manage kontakts on the SIM).

SMSTools - as in, the program smstools, available in ports/comm/smstools. It provides a command line tool called sendsms (as well as other tools) that I can call with a phone number and a message to send a SMS. If your suggested solution requires a web page for interaction, then as I mention in another response it's probably not going to work - I need to be able to script it on the command line. Thanks though!

> Regards,
>
> Christoph

Re: 4G modems for OpenBSD?

Israel Brewster-2

> On Jan 8, 2018, at 10:58 PM, Kirill <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Try huawei e3276 with patch.
> (http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Trouble-with-Huawei-e3276-td241825.html)
> Works for me, but I dont use smstools, just ppp.

As long as it shows up as a comm/serial port, it should work. I'll check it out. Thanks.

> On 01/09/18 03:35, Israel Brewster wrote:
>> Could anyone suggest a USB 4G cell modem model that will work well with OpenBSD, specifically SMSTools? I've looked over most of the list in "man umsm", but those all appear to be 3G. That said, I haven't checked every model on the list, so there could be one or more 4G models that I missed. I've also seen this thread: http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/4g-LTE-modem-td106310.html <http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/4g-LTE-modem-td106310.html>, but that is over 5 years old. There is also this thread: http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Anyone-experienced-with-4G-LTE-modems-td281872.html <http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Anyone-experienced-with-4G-LTE-modems-td281872.html>, but that doesn't appear to offer any suggestions of USB cell modems - just suggestions of using external cellular routers.
>>
>> I do need a direct USB connection for the purposes of sending SMS messages directly from the system, i.e. I need to be able to send a SMS even if the internet is down, so online cloud services or the like that can convert e-mail to SMS aren't an option. Thanks.

>> Israel Brewster
>> Systems Analyst II
>> Ravn Alaska
>> 5245 Airport Industrial Rd
>> Fairbanks, AK 99709
>> (907) 450-7293

Re: 4G modems for OpenBSD?

Israel Brewster-2
On Jan 9, 2018, at 12:07 AM, Daniel Gracia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe this is not exactly the solution you're looking for, but have you
> considered using a 4G gateway? In the past I've had great success with
> Sierra Wireles AirLink family. It's pretty easy to send SMS commands
> through IP with them, so a local Ethernet connection to the gateway should
> do the trick. Neat devices!

Sounds worth checking out. I can always connect it directly via a second ethernet port or the like, so being IP should be fine.

The main concern is that the machine in question be able to get a message out, even if the switch it is connected to dies. So a little creative networking, and a solution like this should be fine, as long as the SMS commands can be sent from the command line.

Thanks!

Israel Brewster
Systems Analyst II
Ravn Alaska
5245 Airport Industrial Rd
Fairbanks, AK 99709
(907) 450-7293

> Regards,

>> Could anyone suggest a USB 4G cell modem model that will work well with
>> OpenBSD, specifically SMSTools? I've looked over most of the list in "man
>> umsm", but those all appear to be 3G. That said, I haven't checked every
>> model on the list, so there could be one or more 4G models that I missed.
>> I've also seen this thread: http://openbsd-archive.7691.
>> n7.nabble.com/4g-LTE-modem-td106310.html <http://openbsd-archive.7691.
>> n7.nabble.com/4g-LTE-modem-td106310.html>, but that is over 5 years old.
>> There is also this thread: http://openbsd-archive.7691.
>> n7.nabble.com/Anyone-experienced-with-4G-LTE-modems-td281872.html <
>> http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Anyone-experienced-with-4G-LTE-
>> modems-td281872.html>, but that doesn't appear to offer any suggestions
>> of USB cell modems - just suggestions of using external cellular routers.
>>
>> I do need a direct USB connection for the purposes of sending SMS messages
>> directly from the system, i.e. I need to be able to send a SMS even if the
>> internet is down, so online cloud services or the like that can convert
>> e-mail to SMS aren't an option. Thanks.

>> Israel Brewster
>> Systems Analyst II
>> Ravn Alaska
>> 5245 Airport Industrial Rd
>> Fairbanks, AK 99709
>> (907) 450-7293

Re: 4G modems for OpenBSD?

Roderick

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018, Israel Brewster wrote:

> Well, as I said I'm using SMSTools - it's in ports - comms/smstools.
> No special program or extended AT commands, at least not on my end.
> I just call the command line "sendsms" that smstools provides.
> Easy peasy. I haven't looked at the source to see what it does under
> the hood.

You mean this:

http://smstools3.kekekasvi.com/

There you read:

"This software needs a GSM modem (or mobile phone) with SMS command set
according to the european specifications GSM 07.05 (=ETSI TS 300 585) and
GSM 03.38 (=ETSI TS 100 900). AT command set is supported."

And the links I gave you name some commands for sending and receiving
SMS. And if you want to write a script to talk with the modem, then expect
is the tool. Do you need concurrency? Many people on a network sending
SMS through the same modem?

Rodrigo.

Re: 4G modems for OpenBSD?

Israel Brewster-2
On Jan 9, 2018, at 9:47 AM, Roderick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Jan 2018, Israel Brewster wrote:
>
>> Well, as I said I'm using SMSTools - it's in ports - comms/smstools.
>> No special program or extended AT commands, at least not on my end.
>> I just call the command line "sendsms" that smstools provides.
>> Easy peasy. I haven't looked at the source to see what it does under
>> the hood.
>
> You mean this:
>
> http://smstools3.kekekasvi.com/
>
> There you read:
>
> "This software needs a GSM modem (or mobile phone) with SMS command set
> according to the european specifications GSM 07.05 (=ETSI TS 300 585) and
> GSM 03.38 (=ETSI TS 100 900). AT command set is supported."
>
> And the links I gave you name some commands for sending and receiving
> SMS. And if you want to write a script to talk with the modem, then expect
> is the tool. Do you need concurrency? Many people on a network sending
> SMS through the same modem?

Yep, that's the page. Not sure why I would want to write a script using expect to talk to the modem directly though, unless smstools doesn't work for some reason. Using smstools, all you have to do is call the command-line "sendsms" with the number and the message. Or even just by creating a text file in the spool directory. No need for expect or any fancy scripting.

That said, all the references on that page refer to a GSM modem, not a LTE modem. My knowledge of cellular protocols is quite limited, but if that's an issue, then maybe I would need to use expect or the like to talk to the modem directly.

No, I don't need concurrency. Primarily this would just be a backup communications channel for our network monitor should it be unable to reach the mailserver for any reason. For example, should the switch the network monitor box is connected to die, it should still be able to send a SMS notifying of the failure. Also, I find that for the more important notifications, SMS gets noticed more easily than e-mail. While we may use it occasionally for other purposes as well, the total usage will still be quite light, so no need to get overly fancy.

Israel Brewster
Systems Analyst II
Ravn Alaska
5245 Airport Industrial Rd
Fairbanks, AK 99709
(907) 450-7293

> Rodrigo.

Re: 4G modems for OpenBSD?

Roderick

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018, Israel Brewster wrote:

> Yep, that's the page. Not sure why I would want to write a script using
> expect to talk to the modem directly though, unless smstools doesn't work
> for some reason. Using smstools, all you have to do is call the command-line
> "sendsms" with the number and the message. Or even just by creating a text
> file in the spool directory. No need for expect or any fancy scripting.

Giving commands to a modem to send a SMS is not much more complicated
than giving shell commands to your computer to do the same through
a program. But you win more flexibility, more control. If you need
concurrency, a program taking care of it may be an advantage, but
you do not need it. As you do login to your computer for giving shell
commands, you must first connect to the modem with "cu". Just try it.

Why expect? You may need to give different commands depending on
what the modem answer to previous commands.

> That said, all the references on that page refer to a GSM modem, not a LTE
> modem.

The commands, as far as I know, are the same. My Huawei E372
*HSPA modem* has the SMS commands. Someone can try to see if
his LTE also has them.

Rodrigo.

Re: 4G modems for OpenBSD?

Daniel Gracia-2
This scenario is trivial, as far as the Sierra Wireless Airlink supports
UDP client/server links. I.e., a properly configurated gateway (easily done
through their web interface) should be able to accept UDP packets on any
defined port and accept messages in the form
'<<<phonenumber,format,length,message>>>',
so just using netcat to send the line

<<<16046556677,ASCII,14,5448495320495320412054455354>>>

(being the message formatted in hex ASCII, in this case 'THIS IS A TEST')
will do the trick. You should receive another UDP packet to a port of your
choice ACKing the message. And that's all.

Regards!

> [...]
> model on the list, so there could be one or more 4G models that I missed.
> I've also seen this thread: http://openbsd-archive.7691.
> n7.nabble.com/4g-LTE-modem-td106310.html <http://openbsd-archive.7691.
> n7.nabble.com/4g-LTE-modem-td106310.html>, but that is over 5 years old.
> There is also this thread: http://openbsd-archive.7691.
> n7.nabble.com/Anyone-experienced-with-4G-LTE-modems-td281872.html <
> http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Anyone-experienced-with-4G-LTE-
> modems-td281872.html>, but that doesn't appear to offer any suggestions
> of USB cell modems - just suggestions of using external cellular routers.
>
> I do need a direct USB connection for the purposes of sending SMS messages
> directly from the system, i.e. I need to be able to send a SMS even if the
> internet is down, so online cloud services or the like that can convert

Re: 4G modems for OpenBSD?

lists-2
Mon, 8 Jan 2018 15:35:41 -0900 Israel Brewster <[hidden email]>
> Could anyone suggest a USB 4G cell modem model that will work well
> with OpenBSD, specifically SMSTools?
>
> I do need a direct USB connection for the purposes of sending SMS
> messages directly from the system, i.e. I need to be able to send a
> SMS even if the internet is down, so online cloud services or the
> like that can convert e-mail to SMS aren't an option. Thanks.

Hi Israel,

There is an upcoming event that may be related to your cell modem query:

https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/openbsd_alarm_system/

Siemens MC35 modem is listed somewhere inside the talk related blog post

http://vincentdelft.be/post/post_20160710

I am sure this could be easily picked from an online bargain deals site.
Would be interested if you find this useful, and how you made use of it.

Kind regards,
Anton Lazarov

Re: 4G modems for OpenBSD?

Israel Brewster-2

> On Jan 9, 2018, at 11:06 PM, Daniel Gracia <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This scenario is trivial, as far as the Sierra Wireless Airlink supports UDP client/server links. I.e., a properly configurated gateway (easily done through their web interface) should be able to accept UDP packets on any defined port and accept messages in the form '<<<phonenumber,format,length,message>>>', so just using netcat to send the line
>
> <<<16046556677,ASCII,14,5448495320495320412054455354>>>
>
> (being the message formatted in hex ASCII, in this case 'THIS IS A TEST') will do the trick. You should receive another UDP packet to a port of your choice ACKing the message. And that's all.
>
> Regards!

Thanks. Yeah, I saw that in the documentation, and after discussing with my coworkers we're thinking this is the way to go. Perhaps a bit pricier than other options, but it looks like it could be more useful. The main thing will be to work out the code that receives the response such that I can receive both ACKs as well as incoming messages (if we decide to do so), but that's what makes it fun!

>>> http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Anyone-experienced-with-4G-LTE- <http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Anyone-experienced-with-4G-LTE->
>>> modems-td281872.html>, but that doesn't appear to offer any suggestions
>>> of USB cell modems - just suggestions of using external cellular routers.
>>>
>>> I do need a direct USB connection for the purposes of sending SMS messages
>>> directly from the system, i.e. I need to be able to send a SMS even if the
>>> internet is down, so online cloud services or the like that can convert
>>> e-mail to SMS aren't an option. Thanks.

>>> Israel Brewster
>>> Systems Analyst II
>>> Ravn Alaska
>>> 5245 Airport Industrial Rd <https://maps.google.com/?q=5245+Airport+Industrial+Rd+Fairbanks,+AK+99709+(907&entry=gmail&source=g>
>>> Fairbanks, AK 99709 <https://maps.google.com/?q=5245+Airport+Industrial+Rd+Fairbanks,+AK+99709+(907&entry=gmail&source=g>
>>> (907 <https://maps.google.com/?q=5245+Airport+Industrial+Rd+Fairbanks,+AK+99709+(907&entry=gmail&source=g>) 450-7293

SignatureBlock.png (60K) Download Attachment