4.2 won't install on DS10

Khalid Schofield-2
Hi,
trying to install OpenBSD 4.2 on an alphastation DS10. Every time I
boot off the cd it refuses to accept keyboard input. Really random.
Just burned a copy of 4.1 and it boots and accepts keyboard input
fine. Tried running

set console serial

then installing via the console but that doesn't accept any input
either. Strange.

Anyone else tried 4.2 on a DS10?

################################
Khalid Schofield,
Computing Officer,
Department Of Materials,
University Of Oxford,
Parks Road,
Oxford.
OX1 3PH

Tel:      (+44) 01865 273728
Email: [hidden email]

Re: 4.2 won't install on DS10

Khalid Schofield-2
I did have OpenBSD 3.9 in console mode running on a VS10 ages ago. It
ran really well actually. It's just 4.2 on this DS10 that's causing
grief. It produces lots of errors when trying to read the
applications from the cd now during install. I'm giving up I think.

On 12 Nov 2007, at 13:09, TODD SEELEMAN wrote:

> I tried many linux versions, including OpenBSD, on a DS20 and I
> found only fedora core worked all the way from installation through
> operation.  Even with that I couldn't start X during the
> installation and had to do it the old fashion way i.e. terminal
> interface.

> ******
>  Todd Seeleman, Systems Analyst
>  Penn Graduate School of Education
>  3440 Market Street, Rm 477        email: [hidden email]
>  Philadelphia, PA. 19104-3325      phone: 215-573-8378
> ******

################################
Khalid Schofield,
Computing Officer,
Department Of Materials,
University Of Oxford,
Parks Road,
Oxford.
OX1 3PH

Tel:      (+44) 01865 273728
Email: [hidden email]

Re: 4.2 won't install on DS10

Martin Reindl-3
On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 02:12:15PM +0000, Khalid Schofield wrote:
> I did have OpenBSD 3.9 in console mode running on a VS10 ages ago. It
> ran really well actually. It's just 4.2 on this DS10 that's causing
> grief. It produces lots of errors when trying to read the
> applications from the cd now during install. I'm giving up I think.

What exact errors? Sounds more like a CD media problem to me.
Try netbooting or fetching the sets via ftp.

Re: 4.2 won't install on DS10

Khalid Schofield-2
I'm going to have a go at fetching over ftp later.

thanks

On 12 Nov 2007, at 14:53, Martin Reindl wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 02:12:15PM +0000, Khalid Schofield wrote:
>> I did have OpenBSD 3.9 in console mode running on a VS10 ages ago. It
>> ran really well actually. It's just 4.2 on this DS10 that's causing
>> grief. It produces lots of errors when trying to read the
>> applications from the cd now during install. I'm giving up I think.
>
> What exact errors? Sounds more like a CD media problem to me.
> Try netbooting or fetching the sets via ftp.

################################
Khalid Schofield,
Computing Officer,
Department Of Materials,
University Of Oxford,
Parks Road,
Oxford.
OX1 3PH

Tel:      (+44) 01865 273728
Email: [hidden email]

Re: 4.2 won't install on DS10

Khalid Schofield-2
I've just grabbed 4.2.iso from the snapshot and it's working fine.
Also didn't grab it off of the UK mirror got it from openbsd.org
directly. Maybe a corrupt file!

Booted fine and installing over ftp.

On 12 Nov 2007, at 13:09, TODD SEELEMAN wrote:

> I tried many linux versions, including OpenBSD, on a DS20 and I
> found only fedora core worked all the way from installation through
> operation.  Even with that I couldn't start X during the
> installation and had to do it the old fashion way i.e. terminal
> interface.

> ******
>  Todd Seeleman, Systems Analyst
>  Penn Graduate School of Education
>  3440 Market Street, Rm 477        email: [hidden email]
>  Philadelphia, PA. 19104-3325      phone: 215-573-8378
> ******

Khalid Schofield,
Computing Officer,
Department Of Materials,