[4.0] sixxs-aiccu-2007-01-07

Helmut Schneider
Hi all,

I never created a port before (and still do not know exactly how) so please
excuse.

sixxs-aiccu needs to be updated as old clients are obviously deprecated (I
was told):

Download http://www.sixxs.net/archive/sixxs/aiccu/unix/aiccu_current.tar.gz
and extract.
Move aiccu/openbsd to /usr/ports/net/aiccu
Move aiccu/freebsd/pkg_descr to /usr/ports/net/aiccu/pkg/DESCR

[root@BSDHelmut /usr/ports/net/aiccu]# cat distinfo
MD5 (aiccu_20070107.tar.gz) = 67a6d55ef2d6e88a3f17bcb5eec02c61
RMD160 (aiccu_20070107.tar.gz) = 65e6069b8fd59482ea25679aafcdc1f1a70eaba0
SHA1 (aiccu_20070107.tar.gz) = 8215827bf8a41064c6a3faf40df9044863fa0c54
SIZE (aiccu_20070107.tar.gz) = 68835
[root@BSDHelmut /usr/ports/net/aiccu]#

make clean depends install clean

HTH, Helmut

sixxs-aiccu-2007-01-07.tgz (38K) Download Attachment

Re: [4.0] sixxs-aiccu-2007-01-07

Kurt Miller-4
I would like to point out that the aixxs-aiccu client
isn't needed at all in most cases. Simply use
/etc/hostname.gif0 with the appropriate 'up giftunnel'
and 'up inet6' lines and set your default ipv6 route.
Nothing more is needed.

However, if your IPv6 host is behind a router or
firewall that blocks protocol 41 then using aiccu
for its AYIYA tunneling protocol makes sense.

The port that comes with the sixxs distfile is outdated.
Attached is a proper port for -current that I created
to use AYIYA.

aiccu.tar.gz (2K) Download Attachment

Re: [4.0] sixxs-aiccu-2007-01-07

Christian Weisgerber
Kurt Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to point out that the aixxs-aiccu client
> isn't needed at all in most cases. Simply use
> /etc/hostname.gif0 with the appropriate 'up giftunnel'
> and 'up inet6' lines and set your default ipv6 route.
> Nothing more is needed.

That assumes a static IPv4 address, which in my part of the world
is virtually nonexistent for residential ADSL lines.  With dynamic
addresses, you need to implement the SixXS heartbeat protocol.
Although net/sixxs-heartbeatd is perfectly functional, it is
deprecated by SixXS.

> The port that comes with the sixxs distfile is outdated.
> Attached is a proper port for -current that I created
> to use AYIYA.

Sigh.  We need to compare notes.  I have an aiccu port sitting on my
disk, too.

Re: [4.0] sixxs-aiccu-2007-01-07

Christian Weisgerber
Christian Weisgerber:

> > The port that comes with the sixxs distfile is outdated.
> > Attached is a proper port for -current that I created
> > to use AYIYA.
>
> Sigh.  We need to compare notes.  I have an aiccu port sitting on my
> disk, too.

I'm attaching my port, which takes some cosmetic inspiration from
kurt's.

It does not include the cumbersome gnutls dependency, since the
SixXS TIC servers currently do not support TLS anyway.  (Confirmed
by SixXS staff).

I've only tested this with my heartbeat gif(4) tunnel.

aiccu.tar.gz (3K) Download Attachment

Re: [4.0] sixxs-aiccu-2007-01-07

Christian Weisgerber
> I'm attaching my port, which takes some cosmetic inspiration from
> kurt's.
>
> It does not include the cumbersome gnutls dependency, since the
> SixXS TIC servers currently do not support TLS anyway.  (Confirmed
> by SixXS staff).
>
> I've only tested this with my heartbeat gif(4) tunnel.

Now with aiccu-20070115.

On Thursday 18 January 2007 3:22 pm, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> > I'm attaching my port, which takes some cosmetic inspiration from
> > kurt's.
> >
> > It does not include the cumbersome gnutls dependency, since the
> > SixXS TIC servers currently do not support TLS anyway.  (Confirmed
> > by SixXS staff).
> >
> > I've only tested this with my heartbeat gif(4) tunnel.
>
> Now with aiccu-20070115.

A quick test of AYIYA with the 20070115 version fails to
work. verbose messages don't show any problems. :(
The 20060725 version works. I'll look into it a bit and
see what I can find out.

-Kurt

Re: [4.0] sixxs-aiccu-2007-01-07

Kurt Miller-4
On Thursday 18 January 2007 3:22 pm, you wrote:

> > I'm attaching my port, which takes some cosmetic inspiration from
> > kurt's.
> >
> > It does not include the cumbersome gnutls dependency, since the
> > SixXS TIC servers currently do not support TLS anyway.  (Confirmed
> > by SixXS staff).
> >
> > I've only tested this with my heartbeat gif(4) tunnel.
>
> Now with aiccu-20070115.

I'm fed up with SixXS. I've been completely locked out of
posting to the forum or problem tickets. There is a person
there who is abusing his power and taking it out on me.

I submitted a brief problem report which was closed as
invalid for not providing enough information. So I
opened a new one with all the details and the same
guy marked it invalid because he could ping6 me
(I was running the old version of aiccu which works).
So I opened it again explaining that but instead
it was closed again. Now I'm unable to submit new
trouble tickets or post my issue even to the forum.

https://noc.sixxs.net/tickets/?msg=tickets-476902
https://noc.sixxs.net/tickets/?msg=tickets-476846
https://noc.sixxs.net/tickets/?msg=tickets-476528

Perhaps someone else could persue the ayiya problems
with the 2007.01.15 version of aiccu on OpenBSD. I
suggest you use the forum instead of the trouble
ticket system since then at least the rude support
person there can't hide behind invalid and duplicate
trouble tickets that don't show up anywhere.

-Kurt

Re: [4.0] sixxs-aiccu-2007-01-07

Jeroen Massar-2
Kurt Miller wrote:

> On Thursday 18 January 2007 3:22 pm, you wrote:
>>> I'm attaching my port, which takes some cosmetic inspiration from
>>> kurt's.
>>>
>>> It does not include the cumbersome gnutls dependency, since the
>>> SixXS TIC servers currently do not support TLS anyway.  (Confirmed
>>> by SixXS staff).
>>>
>>> I've only tested this with my heartbeat gif(4) tunnel.
>> Now with aiccu-20070115.
>>

> I'm fed up with SixXS. I've been completely locked out of
> posting to the forum or problem tickets. There is a person
> there who is abusing his power and taking it out on me.
Thanks for cc'ing that at least allows me to tell our version.
Just to clear this up so that the story is not one sided; whining seems
to be the only thing that people always seem to be able to do, but hey,
whine away; it won't help the problem disappear though.

A ticket generates an SMS to the SixXS staff. Posting the exact details
AGAIN is useless. We are already aware of your problem, and we were
looking into it, thank you.

> I submitted a brief problem report which was closed as
> invalid for not providing enough information.

Although you provided a lot of useful information, the actual
information which is useful you didn't provide: The verbose output of
the broken version.

The key problem with AYIYA tunnels is this line:
8<----------------------------------------
[tun-start] Setting TUNSIFMODE for tun0
---------------------------------------->8

But as I am a rude person according to you, I'll first take a good nap,
rethink if I'll actually do the long, download the OpenBSD 4.0 chunks,
build my the installer, install, fixup a working development environment
etc to be able to determine where this problem might lie.

Actually I had the 4.0 install almost done, but as it is Tuesday I had
swim training, which is why you didn't get a reply yet.

Also, as stated in "Reporting Problems" on the contact page, use tcpdump
with '-s 1500' as that grabs the full packet, not only a portion

 So I
> opened a new one with all the details and the same
> guy marked it invalid

It was marked duplicate; and to avoid further sms's because of new
tickets getting opened being sent the 'allowforum' toggle is toggled, to
make sure that the person doesn't do it again for the coming time.
Indeed that also excludes one from forum usage. The ticket tracker and
the forum system is one and the same.

From http://www.sixxs.net/tickets/ (or https://noc...)
8<-------------------------------------------------
SixXS Ticket Tracker
Creating new tickets and replying is restricted to logged in SixXS
users. When creating a ticket, be precise and clear about the problem,
in other words follow the Reporting Problems section of the contact
page. Problems which are inadequately reported can't be handled. The
Forum is for users helping other users, official announcements are made
using the news section and this tracker is for reporting problems. When
a previous ticket already exists for the same problem, post your problem
in that ticket so that we can re-open the existing ticket. 'Me too' kind
of posts will be removed to keep the tickets clear.
---------------------------------------------------->8

See that "When a previous ticket already exists for the same problem,
post your problem in that ticket so that we can re-open the existing
ticket." line?

> because he could ping6 me
> (I was running the old version of aiccu which works).
> So I opened it again explaining that but instead
> it was closed again. Now I'm unable to submit new
> trouble tickets or post my issue even to the forum.

Sorry that we (SixXS Staff) actually have a life outside of waiting for
people to report problems in a way that we can help.

Opening three times the same ticket is really not useful.

> Perhaps someone else could persue the ayiya problems
> with the 2007.01.15 version of aiccu on OpenBSD. I
> suggest you use the forum instead of the trouble
> ticket system since then at least the rude support
> person there can't hide behind invalid and duplicate
> trouble tickets that don't show up anywhere.

Those tickets are not hidden at all, you even gave 3 url's. One doesn't
even need to login to be able to look at them. They are also searchable
(https://noc.sixxs.net/tickets/search/), and google also picks them up
really quickly. What hiding is happening there? Also the tickets where
not locked either and you where still able to reply then. That you
opened a new, duplicate, ticket with exactly the same content, except
for whining, that is your issue.

Check https://noc.sixxs.net/tickets/?msg=tickets&reply=true which
contains in a big green box, which we made green in the hope that people
actually read it, as it looks 'important' clearly that is not the case
as that url, which you get when opening a new ticket reads:

8<------------------------------------------------------------------------
When a similar problem was reported previously, but the ticket has been
marked as resolved, then don't open a new ticket, but respond to the old
ticket, after evaluation the ticket will be re-opened. Similarly, don't
post 'me too' kind of replies. This keeps the ticket tracker clean and
maintains overview.
When posting a problem report, please do it in the style described in
the 'Reporting Problems' section of the Contact page.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------->8

Maybe that should read "marked as resolved, duplicate, invalid etc".

Note also very well: SixXS is a spare time project, there is no
'support' and there is no 'help desk'.

Maybe I'll give it a look tomorrow, depending on if I find some time to
look at a problem that clearly people can only call me rude and 'support
person' over. Clearly you didn't even bother to read any of the
documentation or the help text or you would have known that I wrote the
tool.

Greets,
 Jeroen
  (SixXS Staff, AICCU author or for you that rude support person)