3g modem support

Marko Cupać
Hi,

I would like to test 3g networking on PC Engines' APU3b4 (I heard it
does not work yet on this particular board with OpenBSD 6.2, apparently
due to issues between EHCI driver and AMD USB chipset, but I'd like to
help with development testing).

PC Engines website has "short and incomplete list of working 3G
miniPCIe modems":
[http://pcengines.ch/howto.htm#3G]

...which suggests some Sierra Wireless modems, none of which are
available for purchase in the country I live in.

This one is available for ~25€ (Sierra Wireless MC8755):
[http://www.netiks.rs/3g-minipciexpress-card]

Also this one for ~100€ (Huawei ME909s-120):
[http://www.netiks.rs/huawei-me909s-120-minipciexpress-card]

If someone can confirm these cards are / aren't supported by OpenBSD,
I'd be very grateful.

Thank you in advance,
After  enlightenment - chop wood, draw water.

Marko Cupać
https://www.mimar.rs/

Re: 3g modem support

Denis Lapshin-2
In production using Sierra Wireless MC7700 miniPCI-e modem card.
Supports HDSPA+ up to 21Mbit Incoming in 3G network. 4G works only
US/Canada frequencies for 7700. If you wanted to have 4G support in EU
you should look for MC7710 or modern one on the market. But pricing
seems to be higher...

You could find various Qualcomm based modems with miniPCI-e or USB
interface on the market which supported by OpenBSD smoothly.

Thanks.

On 12/6/2017 1:46 PM, Marko Cupać wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to test 3g networking on PC Engines' APU3b4 (I heard it
> does not work yet on this particular board with OpenBSD 6.2, apparently
> due to issues between EHCI driver and AMD USB chipset, but I'd like to
> help with development testing).
>
> PC Engines website has "short and incomplete list of working 3G
> miniPCIe modems":
> [http://pcengines.ch/howto.htm#3G]
>
> ...which suggests some Sierra Wireless modems, none of which are
> available for purchase in the country I live in.
>
> This one is available for ~25€ (Sierra Wireless MC8755):
> [http://www.netiks.rs/3g-minipciexpress-card]
>
> Also this one for ~100€ (Huawei ME909s-120):
> [http://www.netiks.rs/huawei-me909s-120-minipciexpress-card]
>
> If someone can confirm these cards are / aren't supported by OpenBSD,
> I'd be very grateful.
>
> Thank you in advance,

Re: 3g modem support

Paul B. Henson

I've got the MC7455, which I believe is basically the same as the EM7455. Presumably this might be one of the cards you say you can't get though. I haven't been able to thoroughly test it given my issues with the APU3, but a friend of mine played with it a bit under vmware and it seems functional under both the umsm driver with PPP and the umb driver in MBIM mode, although in order to use the latter you need to disable the umsm module as it claims the device with a higher priority.

I ended up ordering one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JGCSPEA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and will most likely connect the miniPCI card to the external xHCI ports on the APU3 which at least at initial glance seems functional. Kind of kludgy, but better than the other fallback plan of using linux for this deployment :).