32bit vs. 64bit on older 64bit processors (fwd)

32bit vs. 64bit on older 64bit processors (fwd)

Richard Thornton-2

Re: 32bit vs. 64bit on older 64bit processors (fwd)

lists-2
> Given that this box is an older 64bit system, which is single core and
> the maximum memory installable is 4GB, what's the best build to use for
> it?  32bit or 64bit?

You can try both, yet with the risk of sounding nosy, probably amd64 is
your pick for a number of reasons.

Also sampling the recommendation to fully populate the memory to 4 GB.

Check your BIOS manual if you would be able to use it on the
system board, most systems have no problem, but not all get the full 4
GB usable.

Please post results and technical details when you get set.

Re: 32bit vs. 64bit on older 64bit processors (fwd)

Kevin Chadwick-4
On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 00:41:47 -0400 (EDT)
Richard Thornton wrote:

> what's the best build to use for
> it?  32bit or 64bit?

64 bit, as OpenBSD's memory protections go further and 64 bit is
probably more widely used by devs these days and so better tested too.

Re: 32bit vs. 64bit on older 64bit processors (fwd)

lists-2
> probably more widely used by devs these days and so better tested too.

32bit system is alive, from the future, Ant.