3.9 installer's won't let swap be partition 'a'3.9 installer's won't let swap be partition 'a'

3.9 installer's won't let swap be partition 'a'3.9 installer's won't let swap be partition 'a'

Kent Watsen
 >Submitter-Id:  net
 >Originator:    Kent Watsen
        I wanted to configure my swap first (to be a multiple of the amount
        of RAM I have installed) and then use the rest of the disk for a /
        partition - but since I'm too lazy to calculate how many sectors the
        / partition should be, I decided to configure to configure swap
first
        and let the computer to the math.

        When using the partitioning program, I received no errors when I
told
        it to configure partition 'a' as swap and 'b' as 4.2BSD with
mount /.
        However, as soon as I exit, the installer tells me that its
formatting
        a partition size which is the same size as my swap partition -
so at
        this point I already know something wrong.  If a continue the
install,
        I get a bunch of out of disk space errors while installing the base
        packages.  When I reboot the system and run the installer again,
when
        I print the partition table it has partition 'a' as 4.2BSD (not
swap)
        and partition 'b' does not have the mount set to / anymore -
though it
        is 4.2BSD...
 >How-To-Repeat:
        Try installing a system having partition 'a' as swap
 >Fix:
        As a work-around, I broke down and calculated how many sectors the
        / partition should be and then configured it as partition 'a' and
        let partition 'b' be swap

Re: 3.9 installer's won't let swap be partition 'a'3.9 installer's won't let swap be partition 'a'

Nick Holland
Kent Watsen wrote:

>  >Submitter-Id:  net
>  >Originator:    Kent Watsen
>        I wanted to configure my swap first (to be a multiple of the amount
>        of RAM I have installed)

ok, already heading off in strange directions.  Sounds like you have
some silly idea about how big swap "should" be.  It is probably wrong.

(If you are now saying to yourself, "but I was always told ...", change
"probably" to "definitely").

The only semi-rule about the size of swap is it should be bigger than
real RAM *if* you expect and wish to debug system core dumps.  You
probably don't, and no one else wishes to download a huge system core
dump from you only to find that you modified your kernel in a really
stupid way.  So that probably doesn't apply to you, either.

 >        and then use the rest of the disk for a /
>        partition - but since I'm too lazy to calculate how many sectors the
>        / partition should be, I decided to configure to configure swap first
>        and let the computer to the math.
>
>        When using the partitioning program, I received no errors when I told
>        it to configure partition 'a' as swap and 'b' as 4.2BSD with mount /.

No.

'a' is root.
'b' is swap.
PERIOD.  (at least on the i386 boot drive)

>        However, as soon as I exit, the installer tells me that its formatting
>        a partition size which is the same size as my swap partition - so at
>        this point I already know something wrong.  If a continue the install,
>        I get a bunch of out of disk space errors while installing the base
>        packages.  When I reboot the system and run the installer again, when
>        I print the partition table it has partition 'a' as 4.2BSD (not swap)
>        and partition 'b' does not have the mount set to / anymore - though it
>        is 4.2BSD...
>  >How-To-Repeat:
>        Try installing a system having partition 'a' as swap
>  >Fix:
>        As a work-around, I broke down and calculated how many sectors the
>        / partition should be and then configured it as partition 'a' and
>        let partition 'b' be swap

The only bug here is your process.  'a' is root, 'b' is swap.  You are
doing things wrong, and you are making your life more difficult than
need be.

There is no reason for a precise size for swap. Use the 'p m' command to
see how big your disk is in MB, do a little math in your head (did I
just show my age?) to figure out about how big the rest of the disk
should be within 100M or so, create your 'a' partition that size
(specifying in MB).  Create your 'b' partition to be the rest of the
disk.  Done.  No sector math ever entered into the process.  If I can do
this in my head (and I do often), just about anyone can (and when I do
screw it up, believe me, you won't see me advertising the fact on a
public mail list like..uh..I just did. :)

Better: as your disk is probably many times larger than you will ever
need, if you want to do the "a and b only" thing, make 'a' 10G and 'b'
however big you want it, and you will be unlikely to ever fill it, at
least until long after you should have sat down and figured out how to
partition it properly.  You will get a few advantages doing this, and no
significant disadvantages.

See discussion in faq4.html.

Nick.