3.8 Install Disappeared

Sky McKinley
I had installed 3.8 installed on my G4 Powerbook with X running fine.
I was using fvwm2 with xlock running and tried to unlock the screen
when X crashed.  I was dropped to the console,  but my keymap was all
messed up.  Pressing buttons didn't seem to do anything predictable, so
I had to reboot using the power button.  Upon reboot, I got the "/ was
not properly unmounted" error, which I was expecting, but I had to fsck
manually.  I did so, letting fsck correct anything that it thought was
out of the ordinary.  When I tried to boot up again using ofwboot, I
got an "Inappropriate file type or format" error and the kernel
wouldn't' load.  I put the 3.8 install cd back in to get to a shell and
found that all my OpenBSD slices were gone.  What happened?