29 jan snapshot on G5

Luis Henriques
Hi,

I've been trying to install a snapshot on a Power Mac G5, PowerMac7,2.
No success... I'm able to boot from the CD, bootloader starts and hangs
on:

>> OpenBSD/macppc BOOT 1.1
boot>
booting /ht/pci@5/ata-6/disk@0:/4.9/macppc/bsd.rd: 7707924+420312 [82+147248+133394]=0x805198

Is there anything I could do to about it?  Or is it just unsupported?
From the list of supported hardware, I could see that some PowerMac7,2
are supported, but couln't find my graphic card...

Here's what's on the box:

Model Name: Power Mac G5
Model Identifier: PowerMac7,2
Processor Name: PowerPC 970  (2.2)
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 2
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 3.5 GB
Bus Speed: 1 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.0.7f0

Graphics: ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
HD: Maxtor 7V250F0

Thanks
Luis

Re: 29 jan snapshot on G5

Luis Henriques
Still no progress with this...  most probably, my box is not currently
supported.

From the message below, one of 2 things may be happening:
- Either the ofwboot fails to load and jump into the bsd.rd, or
- There is a very early crash in the kernel.

I have another macppc box running obsd, so I am able to actually hack
the kernel to try to figure out what's going on.  Any ideas on
where/how to start?  Is it worth starting with the ofwboot or the
problem is most probably on the kernel?

(I was looking at the ofwboot code, and I can see some #ifdef
__notyet__ there.  Any hints on what this code is supposed to do?  I
know it is related with OF support...)

Luis

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:03 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to install a snapshot on a Power Mac G5, PowerMac7,2.
> No success... I'm able to boot from the CD, bootloader starts and hangs
> on:

>>> OpenBSD/macppc BOOT 1.1
> boot>
> booting /ht/pci@5/ata-6/disk@0:/4.9/macppc/bsd.rd: 7707924+420312
[82+147248+133394]=0x805198

> Is there anything I could do to about it?  Or is it just unsupported?
> From the list of supported hardware, I could see that some PowerMac7,2
> are supported, but couln't find my graphic card...
>
> Here's what's on the box:
>
> Model Name: Power Mac G5
> Model Identifier: PowerMac7,2
> Processor Name: PowerPC 970  (2.2)
> Processor Speed: 2 GHz
> Number Of CPUs: 2
> L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
> Memory: 3.5 GB
> Bus Speed: 1 GHz
> Boot ROM Version: 5.0.7f0
>
> Graphics: ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
> HD: Maxtor 7V250F0
>
> Thanks
> Luis

Re: 29 jan snapshot on G5

Joe Nosay
Hve you tried with 4.8 RELEASE or STABLE?

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Luis Henriques <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Still no progress with this...  most probably, my box is not currently
> supported.
>
> From the message below, one of 2 things may be happening:
> - Either the ofwboot fails to load and jump into the bsd.rd, or
> - There is a very early crash in the kernel.
>
> I have another macppc box running obsd, so I am able to actually hack
> the kernel to try to figure out what's going on.  Any ideas on
> where/how to start?  Is it worth starting with the ofwboot or the
> problem is most probably on the kernel?
>
> (I was looking at the ofwboot code, and I can see some #ifdef
> __notyet__ there.  Any hints on what this code is supposed to do?  I
> know it is related with OF support...)
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Luis
>
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:03 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been trying to install a snapshot on a Power Mac G5, PowerMac7,2.
> > No success... I'm able to boot from the CD, bootloader starts and hangs
> > on:

> > boot>
> > booting /ht/pci@5/ata-6/disk@0:/4.9/macppc/bsd.rd: 7707924+420312
> [82+147248+133394]=0x805198
> >
> > Is there anything I could do to about it?  Or is it just unsupported?
> > From the list of supported hardware, I could see that some PowerMac7,2
> > are supported, but couln't find my graphic card...
> >
> > Here's what's on the box:
> >
> > Model Name: Power Mac G5
> > Model Identifier: PowerMac7,2
> > Processor Name: PowerPC 970  (2.2)
> > Processor Speed: 2 GHz
> > Number Of CPUs: 2
> > L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
> > Memory: 3.5 GB
> > Bus Speed: 1 GHz
> > Boot ROM Version: 5.0.7f0
> >
> > Graphics: ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
> > HD: Maxtor 7V250F0
> >
> > Thanks
> > Luis

Re: 29 jan snapshot on G5

Luis Henriques
On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 05:29:27PM -0500, Super Bisquit wrote:
> Hve you tried with 4.8 RELEASE or STABLE?

Yes, I did.  Same result.
Currently, I'm trying to figure out where the issue is.  ofwboot seems to
do its job, loading the elf into memory and jumping to the correct address.

It will take me some time to figure out exactly where the problem is (just
guessing, but I believe it is when the kernel tries to initialise the
console...).  And most probably it will take me even more time to try to
solve it.  If ever...

> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Luis Henriques <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > Still no progress with this...  most probably, my box is not currently
> > supported.
> >
> > From the message below, one of 2 things may be happening:
> > - Either the ofwboot fails to load and jump into the bsd.rd, or
> > - There is a very early crash in the kernel.
> >
> > I have another macppc box running obsd, so I am able to actually hack
> > the kernel to try to figure out what's going on.  Any ideas on
> > where/how to start?  Is it worth starting with the ofwboot or the
> > problem is most probably on the kernel?
> >
> > (I was looking at the ofwboot code, and I can see some #ifdef
> > __notyet__ there.  Any hints on what this code is supposed to do?  I
> > know it is related with OF support...)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > Luis
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:03 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've been trying to install a snapshot on a Power Mac G5, PowerMac7,2.
> > > No success... I'm able to boot from the CD, bootloader starts and hangs
> > > on:

> > > boot>
> > > booting /ht/pci@5/ata-6/disk@0:/4.9/macppc/bsd.rd: 7707924+420312
> > [82+147248+133394]=0x805198
> > >
> > > Is there anything I could do to about it?  Or is it just unsupported?
> > > From the list of supported hardware, I could see that some PowerMac7,2
> > > are supported, but couln't find my graphic card...
> > >
> > > Here's what's on the box:
> > >
> > > Model Name: Power Mac G5
> > > Model Identifier: PowerMac7,2
> > > Processor Name: PowerPC 970  (2.2)
> > > Processor Speed: 2 GHz
> > > Number Of CPUs: 2
> > > L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
> > > Memory: 3.5 GB
> > > Bus Speed: 1 GHz
> > > Boot ROM Version: 5.0.7f0
> > >
> > > Graphics: ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
> > > HD: Maxtor 7V250F0
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Luis

Re: 29 jan snapshot on G5

Oldak
Did you resolve this problem? I appear to have the same problem as you, except that I am trying to boot a snapshot of OpenBSD 5.0 install50.iso on a PowerMac G5 (7,3). It hangs at exactly the same point of the boot process as yours. I would be very interested to hear whether you resolved this.

Luis Henriques wrote