$25 PC alpha board successfully runs Linux

$25 PC alpha board successfully runs Linux

sungkwan park
http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/25-pc-alpha-board-successfully-runs-linux-20110824/

2011/9/3 Tobias Ulmer <[hidden email]>

> On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 10:57:39AM -0400, Ian Darwin wrote:
> >
> http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/why-a-25-pc-because-its-the-price-of-a-tex
> > tbook-2011091/
> >

> There is zero documentation for it.

Re: $25 PC alpha board successfully runs Linux

Stuart Henderson

On 2011/09/03 20:14, sungkwan park wrote:
> http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/25-pc-alpha-board-successfully-runs-linux-20110824/

Linux is not documentation.

Obviously some compromises needed to be made to get the price down
to this level.

From http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiBoard:

<snip>
The boards do not include NAND or NOR storage - everything is on the SD
card, which has a FAT32 partition with GPU firmware and a kernel image,
and an EXT2 partition with the rootfs.
We're not currently using a bootloader - we actually boot via the GPU,
which contains a proprietary RISC core (wacky architecture ;) . The GPU
mounts the SD card, loads GPU firmware and brings up display/video/3d,
loads a kernel image, resets the SD card host and starts the ARM.
You could replace the kernel image with a bootloader image, and that
would work fine.
</snip>

<snip>
The GPU blob is an 18MB as an elf file, plus libraries. It does an awful
lot.
</snip>

Re: $25 PC alpha board successfully runs Linux

Bob Keyes-2
On Sat, 3 Sep 2011, Stuart Henderson wrote:

>> 2011/9/3 Tobias Ulmer <[hidden email]>
>>> On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 10:57:39AM -0400, Ian Darwin wrote:
>>>>
>>> http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/why-a-25-pc-because-its-the-price-of-a-tex
>>>>

>>> There is zero documentation for it.
>>

> On 2011/09/03 20:14, sungkwan park wrote:
>> http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/25-pc-alpha-board-successfully-runs-linux-20110824/
>
> Linux is not documentation.
>
> Obviously some compromises needed to be made to get the price down
> to this level.

Linux is documentation...it's just not formal documentation. Regarding the
hardware price...what do you expect for $25? It's not a bad price.

Re: $25 PC alpha board successfully runs Linux

Floor Terra
On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 4:22 AM, Robert Keyes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Linux is documentation...it's just not formal documentation. Regarding the
> hardware price...what do you expect for $25? It's not a bad price.

A large part of the functionality resides in a BLOB that is loaded by
the GPU before any OS is loaded.
You can't call that part Linux and calling a BLOB documentation is
really stretching the definition of documentation.

Floor

--
Floor Terra <[hidden email]>
www: http://floorter.blogspot.com/

Re: $25 PC alpha board successfully runs Linux

Nick Holland
On 09/10/11 22:22, Robert Keyes wrote:
> Linux is documentation...it's just not formal documentation.

Then we await your port of OpenBSD to this thing, since you know so much
more about this.

(first trick is to get one, of course.  I've seen way too much vaporware
that leads off with a wonderful price to get excited about anything like
this until it hits a shelf near me.  Usually, it's either a scam or a
poorly thought out business model, forgetting little things like, say,
paying workers, margin for resellers, etc.  When they do actually show
up, usually they are hopelessly tied to Linux, or worse, start out
usable, then an upgraded firmware "fixes" that, or the device becomes
unavailable in usable form shortly after the port is completed)

Nick.

Re: $25 PC alpha board successfully runs Linux

Miod Vallat
> Linux is documentation...it's just not formal documentation.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with that.

Having Linux code only tells you how to drive a piece of hardware, the
way Linux does. What if you want to use a particular function Linux
doesn't use? What if Linux does things that way because of a particular
problem in the device, and neither the code nor the comments mention the
problem?

> Regarding the hardware price...what do you expect for $25? It's not
> a bad price.

I might be old-fashioned, but I like having the work done, so I'll
always prefer a $100 device with useful documentation over a $25 toy
which may or may not work depending upon the phase of the moon.

Miod