10G NIC recommendation

Diana Eichert
What I want to do.

create a netflow collector using OpenBSD by looking at
data fed from a tap

I know which 10G NICs are supported by OpenBSD, what I'd
like to hear is a recommendation on which one of the
following to use.

$ apropos 10G
che, cheg (4) - Chelsio Communications 10Gb Ethernet device
ix (4) - Intel 82598/82599/X540 PCI Express 10Gb Ethernet device
ixgb (4) - Intel PRO/10GbE 10Gb Ethernet device
myx (4) - Myricom Myri-10G PCI Express 10Gb Ethernet device
oce (4) - Emulex OneConnect 10Gb Ethernet device
tht, thtc (4) - Tehuti Networks 10Gb Ethernet device
xge (4) - Neterion Xframe/Xframe II 10Gb Ethernet device

I do have a few Myricom 10G-PCIE2-8B2-2S available already.
However I have funds available to get something else if one
of the other cards performs better.

thanks

diana

Past hissy-fits are not a predictor of future hissy-fits.
Nick Holland(06 Dec 2005)

Re: 10G NIC recommendation

Maxim Khitrov
On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 7:09 PM, Diana Eichert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What I want to do.
>
> create a netflow collector using OpenBSD by looking at
> data fed from a tap
>
> I know which 10G NICs are supported by OpenBSD, what I'd
> like to hear is a recommendation on which one of the
> following to use.
>
> $ apropos 10G
> che, cheg (4) - Chelsio Communications 10Gb Ethernet device
> ix (4) - Intel 82598/82599/X540 PCI Express 10Gb Ethernet device
> ixgb (4) - Intel PRO/10GbE 10Gb Ethernet device
> myx (4) - Myricom Myri-10G PCI Express 10Gb Ethernet device
> oce (4) - Emulex OneConnect 10Gb Ethernet device
> tht, thtc (4) - Tehuti Networks 10Gb Ethernet device
> xge (4) - Neterion Xframe/Xframe II 10Gb Ethernet device
>
> I do have a few Myricom 10G-PCIE2-8B2-2S available already.
> However I have funds available to get something else if one
> of the other cards performs better.

My only experience is with the X540, but I have no complaints. Here's
a discussion of some testing that I did last week:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=137588569703330&w=2

Re: 10G NIC recommendation

David Gwynne-5
im using myx(4). im biased though.

On 15/08/2013, at 9:09 AM, Diana Eichert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What I want to do.
>
> create a netflow collector using OpenBSD by looking at
> data fed from a tap
>
> I know which 10G NICs are supported by OpenBSD, what I'd
> like to hear is a recommendation on which one of the
> following to use.
>
> $ apropos 10G
> che, cheg (4) - Chelsio Communications 10Gb Ethernet device
> ix (4) - Intel 82598/82599/X540 PCI Express 10Gb Ethernet device
> ixgb (4) - Intel PRO/10GbE 10Gb Ethernet device
> myx (4) - Myricom Myri-10G PCI Express 10Gb Ethernet device
> oce (4) - Emulex OneConnect 10Gb Ethernet device
> tht, thtc (4) - Tehuti Networks 10Gb Ethernet device
> xge (4) - Neterion Xframe/Xframe II 10Gb Ethernet device
>
> I do have a few Myricom 10G-PCIE2-8B2-2S available already.
> However I have funds available to get something else if one
> of the other cards performs better.
>
> thanks
>
> diana
>

> Past hissy-fits are not a predictor of future hissy-fits.
> Nick Holland(06 Dec 2005)

Re: 10G NIC recommendation

Janne Johansson-3
I have only run (and still do run) 10G networking over ix(4), but those
seems to work fine enough. The limit does not seem to be the HW in that
case, as the recent 10G discussions state.

2013/8/15 Diana Eichert <[hidden email]>

> What I want to do.
>
> create a netflow collector using OpenBSD by looking at
> data fed from a tap
>
> I know which 10G NICs are supported by OpenBSD, what I'd
> like to hear is a recommendation on which one of the
> following to use.
>
> $ apropos 10G
> che, cheg (4) - Chelsio Communications 10Gb Ethernet device
> ix (4) - Intel 82598/82599/X540 PCI Express 10Gb Ethernet device
> ixgb (4) - Intel PRO/10GbE 10Gb Ethernet device
> myx (4) - Myricom Myri-10G PCI Express 10Gb Ethernet device
> oce (4) - Emulex OneConnect 10Gb Ethernet device
> tht, thtc (4) - Tehuti Networks 10Gb Ethernet device
> xge (4) - Neterion Xframe/Xframe II 10Gb Ethernet device
>
> I do have a few Myricom 10G-PCIE2-8B2-2S available already.
> However I have funds available to get something else if one
> of the other cards performs better.
>
> thanks
>
> diana
>

> Past hissy-fits are not a predictor of future hissy-fits.
> Nick Holland(06 Dec 2005)

Re: 10G NIC recommendation

Claudio Jeker
On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 03:56:14PM +1000, David Gwynne wrote:
> im using myx(4). im biased though.

Only ix(4), myx(4) and maybe oce(4) are viable options. ixgb(4) is pci-x
only and slow. tht(4) has its own sets of issues and is not really
available on the market anymore. xge(4) may work but is not popular and
che(4) is not working at all.

--
:wq Claudio

> On 15/08/2013, at 9:09 AM, Diana Eichert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > What I want to do.
> >
> > create a netflow collector using OpenBSD by looking at
> > data fed from a tap
> >
> > I know which 10G NICs are supported by OpenBSD, what I'd
> > like to hear is a recommendation on which one of the
> > following to use.
> >
> > $ apropos 10G
> > che, cheg (4) - Chelsio Communications 10Gb Ethernet device
> > ix (4) - Intel 82598/82599/X540 PCI Express 10Gb Ethernet device
> > ixgb (4) - Intel PRO/10GbE 10Gb Ethernet device
> > myx (4) - Myricom Myri-10G PCI Express 10Gb Ethernet device
> > oce (4) - Emulex OneConnect 10Gb Ethernet device
> > tht, thtc (4) - Tehuti Networks 10Gb Ethernet device
> > xge (4) - Neterion Xframe/Xframe II 10Gb Ethernet device
> >
> > I do have a few Myricom 10G-PCIE2-8B2-2S available already.
> > However I have funds available to get something else if one
> > of the other cards performs better.
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > diana
> >

> > Past hissy-fits are not a predictor of future hissy-fits.
> > Nick Holland(06 Dec 2005)

Re: 10G NIC recommendation

Diana Eichert
sounds like I already have the cards I need in myx(4).

I'm currently using them for 10g packet capture systems
under a Linux install using their proprietary snf
driver.  Slick driver, but it is proprietary, Myri only
supports Linux/FreeBSD and Winders with it.

Will be interesting to see how well pflog can keep up
with 5G full duplex stream.

thanks for the feedback